Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #10,532 of 42,298
Here are a few glamor shots of the WA22, with the tube selection I have settled on, for now anyway:

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #10,533 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
Awaiting your impressions Skylab, especially when paired with the LCD-2s. Wedge told me it was a pretty lush sounding amp with them.

My first listen with the LCD-2 definitely yielded that sort of result - it was almost too lush. But that was just a short listen, more later.

Quote:
Sky, when you say the WA22 did not like the GEC;s, how so?

There was a channel imbalance with these tubes, which, oddly, did not change channels when I swapped tubes...very strange...and yet, when I went to the TS 2399's, I had no such issue...

I have found that the GEC's are very finickey tubes.  I have a perfect matched pair and yet I have audio issues before they are all warmed up.  It usually takes about 15 minutes before those tubes settle down.  IMHO, I also think that the GEC are highly revealing tubes so there may be an issue with the amp itself that is only apparent when they are in.  I have been thinking the same thing about my WA22, and was thinking about sending it back to Jack and having him take a look at it.  But, it is not enough of an issue for me to be without music for a while.

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #10,534 of 42,298
The way I see it, it could really just be that the amp doesn't get along with the GECs.  I am anxiously awaiting Skylab's full impressions, would like to see how they stack up to my thoughts.

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #10,535 of 42,298

Quote:
I have found that the GEC's are very finickey tubes.  I have a perfect matched pair and yet I have audio issues before they are all warmed up.  It usually takes about 15 minutes before those tubes settle down.  IMHO, I also think that the GEC are highly revealing tubes so there may be an issue with the amp itself that is only apparent when they are in.  I have been thinking the same thing about my WA22, and was thinking about sending it back to Jack and having him take a look at it.  But, it is not enough of an issue for me to be without music for a while.

Short term pain, for long term gain... You would have had it back already if you sent it back last time.

Jun 1, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #10,537 of 42,298

Quote:
Short term pain, for long term gain... You would have had it back already if you sent it back last time.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #10,539 of 42,298
Nicely done! I love the symmetry of the curvaceous 5998s on the outside and 5U4G on the inside.

Quote:
Here are a few glamor shots of the WA22, with the tube selection I have settled on, for now anyway:

Jun 1, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #10,540 of 42,298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My first listen with the LCD-2 definitely yielded that sort of result - it was almost too lush. But that was just a short listen, more later.

Quote:

Rob if you have access to Woo's currently available WA22 tube upgrade package, you may find them to match up very well with the LCD-2 as I do. I thought many of the other tube combos I have tried to be on the "lush" side as well with that headphone out of that amp. I have posted before about this but based upon the lack of feedback I could be the only one that has tried this tube combo with the WA22 > LCD-2:

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #10,542 of 42,298

Quote:
Rob if you have access to Woo's currently available WA22 tube upgrade package, you may find them to match up very well with the LCD-2 as I do. I thought many of the other tube combos I have tried to be on the "lush" side as well with that headphone out of that amp. I have posted before about this but based upon the lack of feedback I could be the only one that has tried this tube combo with the WA22 > LCD-2:

Thanks, but I am not interested in either current production tubes, nor do I want to buy ANY more tubes of the sorts that the WA22 uses, because I have LOTS of these tubes types already.  Appreciate the post, though :)

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #10,543 of 42,298

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with the 2399 Chatham?  A rebranded TS 5998 supposedly?

Are they identical, and if not, any differences I need to be aware of?  

Its for my WA3.

Yes they are identical.

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #10,544 of 42,298

Quote:

Thanks, but I am not interested in either current production tubes, nor do I want to buy ANY more tubes of the sorts that the WA22 uses, because I have LOTS of these tubes types already.  Appreciate the post, though :)

Your loss then 
tongue.gif

wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back