Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 1, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #10,547 of 42,298
I didn't try any tubes designated 5998 yet, but the 2399 is identical to the 5998 - there should not be any difference.  Only using the 2399 so far.

Jun 1, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #10,548 of 42,298
Got an email back from Jack today about my blown EML.  He said for me to send it back to him and it will be replaced under warranty.  I'm really glad he backs up his stuff.

Jun 1, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #10,550 of 42,298
One thing I noticed today, even thought the blue light was still flashing on start up, there was sound coming out of the headphones (I had forgotten to turn the volume down as I usually have it at zero when turning it on). I know you still get sound from the amp even when shutting down, and it's turned off, but I was a bit surprised to hear something on start up.

Jun 1, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #10,551 of 42,298

Quote:
Was anything mentioned about the WA22, possibly being the cause? 

No, he did say that EML's production line is very slow and they have trouble getting them and that it will probably take a few weeks to get a replacement.

The last time this happened I bought a spare so I'm covered.  I really like the EML a lot.  I am swapping it out with a Mullard GZ37, but it is making popping noises when it is first turned on so I'm swapping it out with the vendor. 

Quote:
One thing I noticed today, even thought the blue light was still flashing on start up, there was sound coming out of the headphones (I had forgotten to turn the volume down as I usually have it at zero when turning it on). I know you still get sound from the amp even when shutting down, and it's turned off, but I was a bit surprised to hear something on start up.

It's muscle memory for me now to first turn down the volume and then turn off the amp.  I've never turned the amp on with the volume at anything other than 0 so I have never heard it.  It's probably ok.

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #10,554 of 42,298

Quote:
Got an email back from Jack today about my blown EML.  He said for me to send it back to him and it will be replaced under warranty.  I'm really glad he backs up his stuff.

Blown EML Glass ~

(Silent One carefully sits down, Gaiwan in hand, in front of the computer screen without making any noise. Looks up to read post #10548 and exhales - a sigh of relief so loud, the neighborhood dogs all start to bark...)

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #10,555 of 42,298
A Wonderful Wednesday Evening ~

The W4S box just shipped. And Pure Music v1.8 debuts within the next few hours...   
popcorn.gif

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #10,556 of 42,298
Here are a few glamor shots of the WA22, with the tube selection I have settled on, for now anyway:

I had the exact same tube lineup for my 22+LCD2, thought the other day I rolled out the 5998/2399 for Sylvania 7236 for a change of pace. I find the 7236 is warmer/bass strong, and the 2399/5988 a little more detailed, and 7236 has a bit more soundstage. Both were very nice with LCD2 to my ears.

I'm curious if you hear similarly/differently. But either way, enjoy!

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #10,557 of 42,298

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with the 2399 Chatham?  A rebranded TS 5998 supposedly?

Are they identical, and if not, any differences I need to be aware of?  

Its for my WA3.

Some TS tubes have the 2399 number on them, and these are definitely 5998s.  On the other hand, there is some question about whether or not the Chatham 2399 is a 5998 or a 6AS7G electrically  speaking.  I read through the entire 6AS7G tube rolling thread and this question came up several times with the consensus being that nobody really knows due to the non-existent nature of 2399 Chatham data sheets now.  It is easy to say it is a 5998 based on plate appearance, but we have to remember that TS also made the 6520 which was a 6AS7G electrically but often used the domino style 5998 plates.  The easiest way to tell should be by gain.  The 5998 is much higher gain than a 6AS7G which should answer the question easily enough.

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #10,558 of 42,298
Rob, I'm a bit surprised to hear you say the WA22 is too lush with the 5998s in place.  Since they lean a bit more towards SS than a 6AS7G I was figuring they'd strike a good balance with the LCD-2.  I like lush, but have found that there is definitely such a thing as too lush, which makes me wonder if my WA22 customization plans are the best choice (swapping the coupling caps for Mundorf Silver-in-Oils and the filtering caps for Elna Silnics).  I don't want to mellow the amp out too much, since my favorite 6SN7 lean to the dark side anyway.

Keep the impressions coming though!  I, and I'm sure many others, would love to hear more. 

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #10,559 of 42,298
Rob, I'm a bit surprised to hear you say the WA22 is too lush with the 5998s in place.  Since they lean a bit more towards SS than a 6AS7G I was figuring they'd strike a good balance with the LCD-2.  I like lush, but have found that there is definitely such a thing as too lush, which makes me wonder if my WA22 customization plans are the best choice (swapping the coupling caps for Mundorf Silver-in-Oils and the filtering caps for Elna Silnics).  I don't want to mellow the amp out too much, since my favorite 6SN7 lean to the dark side anyway.

Keep the impressions coming though!  I, and I'm sure many others, would love to hear more. 

?

I find the TS5998s a "tubier" tube and the 7236s a "SS"ish tube.

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #10,560 of 42,298
Well, it was only a short listen he has had, so I would give him some more time to form his opinion, as well work out any issues he is having, hum, etc.  When I had the amp it seemed a little finnicky with which tubes I had in it, but ultimately it worked with TS5998s, Mullard ECC32s, and RCA 5U4G.  It also worked with TS7236.

My impressions of the amp were that it was a bit lush, kind of right on that line and depending on my mood it would either be too lush or just shy of being too lush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back