Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 30, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #10,487 of 42,298
Look for the delayed picture taking option or setting.  Geez, I don't even know what to call it.  It's a setting you can choose, typically 2 or 5 or 10 seconds.  

Put the camera on a surface (desk, shirt, tripod), focus, hit the button and the delayed timer will allow the camera to stabilize and you'll (hopefully) get a good, clear shot.

Maybe that was a given?

May 30, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #10,489 of 42,298
I can't find any ever it seems.

Quote:
I also prefer the sound of NOS 5U4's over the Sophia and EML, and I am 100% convinced that they work better. I know not everyone likes the Tung Sol 5u4G, but I love it.

May 30, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #10,490 of 42,298

Quote:
Yes that is my feeling as well that I have saved money, after going with the real nos WE300B's matched date code's (56/26) and readings I would never want for more.
And yes the real WE300B's have a very long life span.

I take it your WE300B's are the original WE300B's not the remakes.

Yes they are the original I would like to get more they are getting a browning on the inside of the glass at the top of the tubes. I put allot of hours on them on almost every day
from the time I get home from work till I go to bed.
  I tried 2 pairs Sovteck , 2 pairs Svetlana , 3 pairs of JJ , 2 pairs of EML , and a pair made in China . Actually the Chinese tubes are the only ones that I haven't had a problem with the filament
burning out. none of these tubes lasted two years. I think of all the money I spent should have just bought the WEs 12 years ago and would be money ahead and had better sound all
along. The WEs have been in continuous use for 3 years now with no problems. 

May 30, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #10,493 of 42,298
Glen,

What kind of tube amps are those?  Thanks.

Quote:

EML Tubes are a problem and I will NOT use them I bought a pair of EML 300Bs for my speaker amps and in less then four months one of the filaments burned out. I got replacements
 and one of those filaments burned out and shorted to the grid and plate caused my speaker to bottom out with the big pop. I will not risk putting these poorly made over priced tubes
in my expensive equipment. It don't matter how pretty they look or supposedly sound better it is not worth the risk of damaging your amp.
 I dont think Woo put a to big of a input capacitor in your amp a 5U4 calls for a max of 40uf input capacitor and voltage issue a tube should take + - 10% even if your line voltage is 130v
it should not affect the 5U4. Just all the problems mentioned in this thread says something. Tubes have been in use now for 90 years and in all those years there was no problem
with line voltage. When you were young and everything ran off tubes did tubes in your TV burn out every couple of months I think not.
 If it were me I would go to NOS 5U4 you can find one that sounds as good heck you would be better off putting a Sovteck 5U4G in there it wont short out and damage your amp. 

May 30, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #10,494 of 42,298

Quote:
Look for the delayed picture taking option or setting.  Geez, I don't even know what to call it.  It's a setting you can choose, typically 2 or 5 or 10 seconds.  

Put the camera on a surface (desk, shirt, tripod), focus, hit the button and the delayed timer will allow the camera to stabilize and you'll (hopefully) get a good, clear shot.

Maybe that was a given?

While in complete darkness, should I manually set the seconds or place the camera on in Auto Mode and let it chose the exposure itself? I guess I can experiment.
Thanks Eee Pee and john57.

May 30, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #10,495 of 42,298

Quote:
Glen,

What kind of tube amps are those?  Thanks.

They are home made all direct heated triode direct coupled no capacitors in the signal path. They use a RCA 210 with the plate hooked directly to the grid of the 300B
very few parts in the amp just a few resistors tubes and the output transformer. Less is more. less coloring from capacitors. They do have a Farley complex power supply
 7.5 volt DC for the filament/cathode of the 210 and 0-425-850 volt DC for the 210 and 300B

May 30, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #10,496 of 42,298
Going back a year it seems many of the EML glass (5U4G) reportedly fail around four months. I'm nervously entering month four...

Yes it is a shame that each time I fire up my amp I tend to worry about the EML's and not the NOS vintage tubes.

If I could find something that sounded as good (5U4G type) I would move on, but as of yet I have not, at least in my set up.

May 31, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #10,498 of 42,298

Quote:

They are home made all direct heated triode direct coupled no capacitors in the signal path. They use a RCA 210 with the plate hooked directly to the grid of the 300B
very few parts in the amp just a few resistors tubes and the output transformer. Less is more. less coloring from capacitors. They do have a Farley complex power supply
 7.5 volt DC for the filament/cathode of the 210 and 0-425-850 volt DC for the 210 and 300B

When you've the chance, could you illuminate our computer screens with photographs (or PM me)?

May 31, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #10,500 of 42,298

Very nice looking setup, complex... I'm anxious to hear your impressions... I got a maxed WA2 a few months ago and am amazed by the sound, but now I'm tempted by the WA5LE--I can't see how it could improve, but I'm sure it does. Please let us know your thoughts when you've had a bit of time to burn it in.

Quote:
Finally upgraded from my WA2...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back