Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 11, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #7,801 of 42,298
Hmm, I didn't know about the preamp-out option when I sent my WA22 in. I had mine modified (like seamaster I think), eliminating the SE input in favor of a second balanced input. I wonder if I could have added a balanced or SE pre-out as well. My balanced DAC and phono stage also have SE outs, that's all I need for my speaker rig anyways so no biggie. It might have been cool to have a tube stage pre-out though, if that's what it actually is.

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #7,802 of 42,298
That may be why I hated the ATH W5000. I love the Sophia with my current ATH woodies though.

This makes me worried that the EML may not match the current headphones I'm using.

Quote:

Quote:
Anyone Else Not Finding the  Princess Sophia their "Cup of Tea" ?

I recently bought a Princess Sophia as a result of all the glowing reviews.  I am using it with WA6-SE.  I am using it with a pair of 6DE7s - Sylvania and then I tried it w/ my RCAs w/shield. 

The soundstage wide, but to me not very deep.  I found the bass able to go very low, but with little impact.  A little to bloaty for my taste.  The mids were a little to tubey for me.  The treble on the other hand was delightful.  Crisp, airy and well defined.

I thinking I will go back to my best combo to date. NOS   CBS 5U4GB Rectifier along with a pair of 6DE7s GE Double Triode.  I find this combo to be very deep and punchy in the base.  Very wide soundstage, and holographic.  Mids are mildly romantic, no too tubey and the highs are not as crisp as the Sophia but plenty defined for me.

I will try some more tube rolling w/ some more 6de7s and some 6ew7s as well as well as some large 6ew7s.  Maybe I will find  some reason to hold onto the Sophia.  Otherwise, out she goes.

Maybe the EML 274B Mesh plate will be more p[leasing to me.  from what I read it serves up bass with more punch.

I bought a used one with about 100 hours on it, so fully burned in.  I have a WA6SE also (mine is maxxed).  The Sophia tube lasted a week with me, as I recall, before I sold it again.  IMO it didn't do much of anything right in my specific application of it.  I think I was using ATH 5000 and Grado 1000 at the time.  OTOH, I'm pretty sure the guy who bought it from me was quite happy with it, but I don't recall his use of it.  I did not find it's bass performance good at all, and thought it rendered a general lack of detail through the mids and highs, and was just baffled why anyone would like it.  I much prefer the EML 5U4G, which seems to do everything just right in the same application - solid bass, clarity, separation, detail and extension.  It is an excellent performer for me. 

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #7,803 of 42,298
The pre-out option for WA22 is not official one, and Jack only would do it if you ask him really, really nicely. For whatever reason neither WA6 or WA22 are designed with pre-out in mind. In my case Jack hinted that WA2 will perform better as a pre-amp than WA22.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #7,804 of 42,298
If it helps you decide I find the treble just right with most output tubes using my K701s with the EML 274b.  Great clarity, depth and texture but is not aggressive or in your face.  I could see a more laid back headphone sounding a bit too dark with the EML, but I have found in general that the resolution and depth it presents goes a long way even if the tonal balance isn't quite ideal all the time.

Quote:
That may be why I hated the ATH W5000. I love the Sophia with my current ATH woodies though.

This makes me worried that the EML may not match the current headphones I'm using.

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #7,805 of 42,298

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
I have seen questions about how LCD-2 pairing up with WA22. There are also some of you that have an order on LCD-2.

I can say that the match is very good. But take my opinion with a grain of salt, I am not that experienced.

I had Sophia princess, TS6SN7-GTB and TS5998. And it sounded great with stock cable and single ended. Not as large soundstage as HD800 in balanced mode, but with a full-bodied sound that I liked. But I missed the clarity and soundstage from the HD800 a bit. I bought Silver Dragon balanced and LCD-2 opened up quite a bit. Then I bought EML5U4G and the clarity got even better, and I guess as a result, better soundstage and even tighter and better bas. Now I don't miss HD800 at all, I will sell it. But that is my humble opinion.

Now my next step is to change my DAC.

Thanks for the impression, we share the same headphones and really appreciate your comments.  I'm planning to use TS5998, TS6F8G, and EML 274b or 5U4G.

You'll have to let me know which rectifier (274b or 5U4G) you prefer once you get your LCD-2.  I think amongst the people active in the Woo owners thread you  might be the only person who has both.

Will do but it looks like I will not receive it today due to the snow storm unless FedEx is making a special trip to my house.

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #7,806 of 42,298

Quote:

Quote:
Anyone Else Not Finding the  Princess Sophia their "Cup of Tea" ?

I recently bought a Princess Sophia as a result of all the glowing reviews.  I am using it with WA6-SE.  I am using it with a pair of 6DE7s - Sylvania and then I tried it w/ my RCAs w/shield. 

The soundstage wide, but to me not very deep.  I found the bass able to go very low, but with little impact.  A little to bloaty for my taste.  The mids were a little to tubey for me.  The treble on the other hand was delightful.  Crisp, airy and well defined.

I thinking I will go back to my best combo to date. NOS   CBS 5U4GB Rectifier along with a pair of 6DE7s GE Double Triode.  I find this combo to be very deep and punchy in the base.  Very wide soundstage, and holographic.  Mids are mildly romantic, no too tubey and the highs are not as crisp as the Sophia but plenty defined for me.

I will try some more tube rolling w/ some more 6de7s and some 6ew7s as well as well as some large 6ew7s.  Maybe I will find  some reason to hold onto the Sophia.  Otherwise, out she goes.

Maybe the EML 274B Mesh plate will be more p[leasing to me.  from what I read it serves up bass with more punch.

I bought a used one with about 100 hours on it, so fully burned in.  I have a WA6SE also (mine is maxxed).  The Sophia tube lasted a week with me, as I recall, before I sold it again.  IMO it didn't do much of anything right in my specific application of it.  I think I was using ATH 5000 and Grado 1000 at the time.  OTOH, I'm pretty sure the guy who bought it from me was quite happy with it, but I don't recall his use of it.  I did not find it's bass performance good at all, and thought it rendered a general lack of detail through the mids and highs, and was just baffled why anyone would like it.  I much prefer the EML 5U4G, which seems to do everything just right in the same application - solid bass, clarity, separation, detail and extension.  It is an excellent performer for me. 

I agreed.  When I had W5000, I much prefer the EML 5U4G over Sophia.  Another rectifier is good match with W5000 is Mullard GZ34.  That is when I still have WA6 maxxed.  I did not get a chance to try W5000 with WA22.  That being said, W5000 sounds best out of HA5000.  There is no other amp can compare if you love W5000 and planning to keep it for a long time.

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #7,807 of 42,298
I also was unimpressed with the Princess.  Too bright, and poor bass weight and depth.  ANY of my NOS 5U4G's were better, and the Tung-Sol 5U4G was MUCH better.  This was true both in my WA6, and in my Decware CSP-2.

The Princess is a pretty sight, but she's a cold-hearted witch inside.

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #7,808 of 42,298

I also was unimpressed with the Princess.  Too bright, and poor bass weight and depth.  ANY of my NOS 5U4G's were better, and the Tung-Sol 5U4G was MUCH better.  This was true both in my WA6, and in my Decware CSP-2.

The Princess is a pretty sight, but she's a cold-hearted witch inside.

This was my experience too, especially the boring bass. I'm much happier with the EML 5U4G (have yet to try any good NOS though).

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #7,809 of 42,298

Quote:

This was my experience too, especially the boring bass. I'm much happier with the EML 5U4G (have yet to try any good NOS though).

Notice you have a WA22, the last time I use Mullard GZ34.  The WA22 runs much warmer than using EML 274B or EML 5U4G, not sure it is a good thing or not and I have not email Jack about this yet.

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #7,810 of 42,298

Notice you have a WA22, the last time I use Mullard GZ34.  The WA22 runs much warmer than using EML 274B or EML 5U4G, not sure it is a good thing or not and I have not email Jack about this yet.

I'm pretty content with my tubes - the EML, Treasures, and GE 6AS7GA (which work well for me, and don't cost a fortune). I also have some RCA 6AS7G and KenRad VT231 that i haven't tried yet.

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #7,811 of 42,298
All you would be LCD2 contenders:  ALO-32Ohm Audio had the LCD's in stock if you bought them w/the ALO cable for $1500 a few weeks back.

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #7,812 of 42,298

Quote:
All you would be LCD2 contenders:  ALO-32Ohm Audio had the LCD's in stock if you bought them w/the ALO cable for $1500 a few weeks back.

I know but I don't want to pay $500 for the cable until I know I love the LCD-2.

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #7,813 of 42,298

Quote:

Jack emailed me back on this... I will give it another try tonight if I can make it thru the storm.

"A bit warmer is fine. Report back if it runs hot. The GZ34 draws more current and thus the amp will work harder.

Jack"

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #7,814 of 42,298
Side topic: I am thinking about ripping everything to drive, backing it up and selling my collections.  DCC, MFSL, Japanese mini lp's.  I don't even take these out anymore.  I'm listening to everything off drive.  I could use the money to waste on stereo gear or maybe new Campagnolo bicycle gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back