Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 27, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #6,361 of 42,298

Quote:
My favorites are the ones with a "Warning: Emitted Radiation" or some such statement silk-screened onto the glass.  I'm sure they're talking about disturbances to surrounding electronics, but it's pretty fun to imagine growing an extra ear or two...

Now there's a new Head-Fi fad; more ears.  "So, have you tried the HD800 with the D7000?  It's an incredible combination."
"Yeah, but you haven't heard anything until you power one set with the WA22 and the other set with a WA5."
darthsmile.gif

LMAO!!!
beerchug.gif

Oct 27, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #6,362 of 42,298
Has anybody compared the sound of the TS 5998 with the TS 7236? I'm pretty sure they have the same power rating but that's about all I know. I'm not sure how they compare desirability-wise either.

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #6,363 of 42,298

Quote:
LOL... imagine if someone actually did that...

I've seen tubes that size whenever I go to the MIT swapfest.  Granted they're few and far between, but they're so cool.

My favorites are the ones with a "Warning: Emitted Radiation" or some such statement silk-screened onto the glass.  I'm sure they're talking about disturbances to surrounding electronics, but it's pretty fun to imagine growing an extra ear or two...

Now there's a new Head-Fi fad; more ears.  "So, have you tried the HD800 with the D7000?  It's an incredible combination."
"Yeah, but you haven't heard anything until you power one set with the WA22 and the other set with a WA5."
darthsmile.gif

O god, the wallet's worst nightmare.

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #6,364 of 42,298

Quote:
Has anybody compared the sound of the TS 5998 with the TS 7236? I'm pretty sure they have the same power rating but that's about all I know. I'm not sure how they compare desirability-wise either.

TS5998 has more full body sound. My memory is fuzzy since I only briefly had Tung Sol 7236 (they were returned to WooAudio for one piece being defective... Somehow WooAudio re-shipped Sylvania 7236, saying Sylvania is better... I thought TungSol 7236 had slightly more full body sound and was better. I even asked Skylab for his opinion between Sylvania and TS 7236, he also thought TS was bit better, with fuzzy memory...)
I think Tungsol 5998 is a must have tubes for WA2. wide and FULL.  TungSol 7236 is bit leaner but still full body compared to Sylvana 7236. I guess it all depends on how your DAC sounds. If your DAC is already profound in bass, maybe TS5998 is too much for your amp. But who really don't like boomy base?
tongue.gif

Anyway, I really liked the look of gold metal base and the red prints of TS 7236. They are so sexy!

Oct 28, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #6,365 of 42,298
Yea!  

Jack finally got his shipment of EML's in and mine should be delivered on Friday.  

My current rectifier is the Sophia Princess and I have heard that the EML is much better.  Looking forward to hearing the difference.  

Will post impressions and pictures.

Oct 28, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #6,367 of 42,298
I mostly agree with this post--very good description.  I use the 5998 as my primary power tube.  I think it's the best all-rounder that sounds beautiful with many genres of music.  It is well balanced, well controlled, has good bass, sweet highs, and an overall smooth presentation.  It leans to the warm side, but there are certainly much warmer power tubes out there.  Compared to the Tung-Sol 7236, it is a little slower, has less bass, and has less slam.  The 7236 has a little less body than the 5998, and overall is less warm.  The 7236 is an excellent tube for metal, electronica, trance, and other music that requires speed and good bass slam.  I think the 7236 has a solid state flavor to it, while still retaining some midrange tube bloom.  Plus, the highs aren't scratchy at all.  I think they are both excellent tubes and should compliment each other for different musical styles.  The TS 7236 is a much better tube than the Sylvania 7236.  They have very different plate constructions.  The Sylvania is a lean tube, sounds dry at times, very solid state, and lacks a lot of the "tube magic" we know and love.  It does have excellent bass and speed, but there are certainly many much more musical tubes out there that I recommend over the Sylvania. 

Quote:
TS5998 has more full body sound. My memory is fuzzy since I only briefly had Tung Sol 7236 (they were returned to WooAudio for one piece being defective... Somehow WooAudio re-shipped Sylvania 7236, saying Sylvania is better... I thought TungSol 7236 had slightly more full body sound and was better. I even asked Skylab for his opinion between Sylvania and TS 7236, he also thought TS was bit better, with fuzzy memory...)
I think Tungsol 5998 is a must have tubes for WA2. wide and FULL.  TungSol 7236 is bit leaner but still full body compared to Sylvana 7236. I guess it all depends on how your DAC sounds. If your DAC is already profound in bass, maybe TS5998 is too much for your amp. But who really don't like boomy base?
tongue.gif

Anyway, I really liked the look of gold metal base and the red prints of TS 7236. They are so sexy!

Oct 28, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #6,368 of 42,298
Ahh I have a problem with the WA6SE, and I've got to ask a newbie question. 
Ever since I switched to 6SN7 using Glenn's adaptors, I've been having quite of trouble. First being the Full Music 6SN7s had problems and I had to switch for a new pair. Then, I found out that Glenn's adaptors were also causing a hum/buz problem. 

Now, the hum/buzz problem still kind of exists, let me try to describe it. 
When using the LCD-2s, the hums are either disappeared or extremely faint to that point it does not bother me, unlike the previous two attempts. When I use my JH-13s, however, the hum/buzz noise becomes quite obnoxious and evident. I later found that when I placed my hands near the tubes, and better yet, holding the tube or adaptors, the buzz/hum goes away. If someone has encountered a similar problem in the past, or know of what I am experiencing, I would be grateful if you could share some thought.

Thank you!

Oct 28, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #6,369 of 42,298

Quote:
Ahh I have a problem with the WA6SE, and I've got to ask a newbie question. 
Ever since I switched to 6SN7 using Glenn's adaptors, I've been having quite of trouble. First being the Full Music 6SN7s had problems and I had to switch for a new pair. Then, I found out that Glenn's adaptors were also causing a hum/buz problem. 

Now, the hum/buzz problem still kind of exists, let me try to describe it. 
When using the LCD-2s, the hums are either disappeared or extremely faint to that point it does not bother me, unlike the previous two attempts. When I use my JH-13s, however, the hum/buzz noise becomes quite obnoxious and evident. I later found that when I placed my hands near the tubes, and better yet, holding the tube or adaptors, the buzz/hum goes away. If someone has encountered a similar problem in the past, or know of what I am experiencing, I would be grateful if you could share some thought.

Thank you!

I don't know why is happening but it is nromal that you will have more of a problem with the JH-13 since they are very low impedance 28 ohms and very hugh senitivity 119db. I had an issue with an Apache once. I could hardly hear it with my T1. it was more obvious with my Edition 9 and it was horrible with the JH-13. The problem was the same it wad just amplified more by the combination of lower impedance and higher sentitivity.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 28, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #6,370 of 42,298
The reason you hear it less with the LCD-2 is that they are much less sensitive (meaning their electrical sensitivity is lower).  The buzz/hum is always there, but you hear it more on the more sensitive headphones.

Try a pair of tubes that were designed for the 6SE - 6DE7 or 6EW7.  Do you still have hum?

Using the 6SN7 via the tube adapters is for sure not worth it over the stock type of tubes if you have to deal with hum.  To be candid, I prefer the 6FD7 in my WA6 over the 6SN7 (this has nothing to do with Glenn's adapters, which are excellent).

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #6,371 of 42,298
I don't know.  If I knew more about tube rolling, I would have asked.  I just asked for an EML, and Jack got it for me.

Quote:
Nice, which EML you get? 5U4G? Please let us know your impression.

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #6,372 of 42,298
Does the quality of the rectifier matters for the WA2 as much as it is for WA6SE? Which one would be a good upgrade, or stock would be good enough? Woo Audio doesn't even offer a rectification tube upgrade on their website.

I'm still debating between WA2 and WA6SE though, wish it would be carried locally - paying full MSRP anyway
dt880smile.png

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #6,373 of 42,298
Quote:
I don't know.  If I knew more about tube rolling, I would have asked.  I just asked for an EML, and Jack got it for me.

don't worry, mike.  the difference between EML 274b and EML 5U4G are very subtle...
both excellent rectifiers...

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #6,374 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

don't worry, mike.  the difference between EML 274b and EML 5U4G are very subtle...
both excellent rectifiers...

X2, it is very subtle.  You really have to look for it and do a lot of swapping back and forth.

5U4G - slightly faster and more dynamic
274B - more romantic sounding, love it with jazz and classical

Users who are viewing this thread

Back