Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 18, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #6,241 of 42,298
I just received glenn's adapters today, allowing me to use my pair of ts 6f8g's. I really enjoy these tubes. They give the music a presence that it didn't have before. Unfortunately, they have also added a small hum that wasn't there before. With the volume around 9:00 I don't notice it, but it starts around 10 and really picks up around 12. Is this normal? My amp was dead quite before.

Even with the hum, I'd have to say these are my favorite driver tubes so far (and no, I still haven't acquired any tsrp's)

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #6,242 of 42,298

Quote:
I just received glenn's adapters today, allowing me to use my pair of ts 6f8g's. I really enjoy these tubes. They give the music a presence that it didn't have before. Unfortunately, they have also added a small hum that wasn't there before. With the volume around 9:00 I don't notice it, but it starts around 10 and really picks up around 12. Is this normal? My amp was dead quite before.

Even with the hum, I'd have to say these are my favorite driver tubes so far (and no, I still haven't acquired any tsrp's)

Some of my 6F8G's hum. The RCA's hum. The Raytheons do not.

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #6,243 of 42,298
That is normal, my TS 6F8G hums too. I only notice around 10, but it picks up at 12 and constant until you turn it to max, which is dead quiet. Vet strange. This is one of the reason, I don't use it much. Did yiu tried the Trasure yet? You can get a matched pair just a little over $120.

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #6,244 of 42,298
Anyone have a Denon D7000 and WA22? I'm picking up a pair of Denon for closed headphone and wonder the synergy and sound quality using single ended. I may re-terminate it to balanced later, is the stock canoe capitable of balance or need to re cable?

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #6,245 of 42,298
jc,
I looked at the pictures of the WA22 in your signature and noticed that you have the stepped attenuator upgrade - how do you like it? Did you compare it to the stock alps volume control. I worry whether 24 steps would be too little - does the volume knob clicks?
What about BG caps upgrade, did you ever hear WA22 without it?

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #6,246 of 42,298
The stepped attenuators on WA22 is standard, not an upgrade. I love it, I have it on my previous WA6 too. There is no channel imbalance at all. I heard the WA22 stock before and the BG upgrade is not a huge upgrade compare to tubes upgrade but it certainly squeezes every bit of WA22 out.

Most notice BG upgrade is on low level listening and very smooth female vocals. Oh and slighly better soundstage, more depth.

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #6,247 of 42,298

Quote:

Some of the hum can be picked up on the grid leads being radiated from the rectifier tube especially if you have a Sophia
274 mesh this tube radiates hum like crazy. I don't know why the amp was made with the rectifier in between the two gain tubes
This is the worst place for it.
You can try turning the grid caps so the grid wire stays as far away from the rectifier as poss able or try a different rectifier tube.
when you ordered the adapters did you state it was for a 22 I Make them different with the grid leads coming out opposite sides
of the adapter so thay are away from the rectifier tube.
Glenn

Oct 18, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #6,248 of 42,298
No, I just hit the "buy now" button on ebay without any addition consideration. haha

Thanks for the advice about positioning the grid wire. That makes sense since the hum is most apparent in the left channel (the grid wire from the left tube lays closest to the rectifier tube).

The hum has actually died down a bit without any intervention - after about 2 hrs of continual use. I can now listen around 10 o'clock without noticing any hum, so I'm perfectly content. Nevertheless, thanks again for the advice.

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #6,249 of 42,298

Quote:
No, I just hit the "buy now" button on ebay without any addition consideration. haha

Thanks for the advice about positioning the grid wire. That makes sense since the hum is most apparent in the left channel (the grid wire from the left tube lays closest to the rectifier tube).

The hum has actually died down a bit without any intervention - after about 2 hrs of continual use. I can now listen around 10 o'clock without noticing any hum, so I'm perfectly content. Nevertheless, thanks again for the advice.

If The hum continues I can make a pair that is made for the WA22 and can exchange them.
Glenn

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #6,252 of 42,298

Quote:
Sweet.  Welcome to the Woo family.  We're the best and coolest members of Head-Fi.

Yes we are a cool lot. Welcome, Cal, welcome, welcome.
Hi, hodgjy, how have you been?

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #6,253 of 42,298

Quote:
Just placed my order for a WA6. Can't wait!!

Welcome to the club, Cal.  

Quote:
Sweet.  Welcome to the Woo family.  We're the best and coolest members of Head-Fi.

Yes we are a cool lot. Welcome, Cal, welcome, welcome.
Hi, hodgjy, how have you been? 

And yes again, hodgjy & Clayton. If my memory is correct, we have never had an argument till now with over 400 pages and 6000 posts but helpful information and sharing our thoughts. We should be very please with the result.
beerchug.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #6,255 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

I'll be using the WA6 to drive the dt880/600's that I also just ordered.
biggrin.gif

Head-Fi claims another victim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back