Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 13, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #6,166 of 42,298
Shibuya Crossing - World's busiest intersection and how I got there! Monday evening I met up with Clayton SF for a listening session. As the sun begin to set over the Pacific, I arrived his place casting a single shadow. When it came time to depart I cast three, count 'em, three shadows! After getting intimate with his WA22 I was clearly beside myself, that's two shadows and the third came from the suitcase packed with some of his goods (gifted me a TT).

While he had a variety of tube amps and I got time with each of them, the WA22 walked away with my attention. To keep my evaluations level and on point, I brought my own single-ended cans (Denons) and two CDs for reference. Would love to hear the WA22 in balanced mode but even in SE mode the amp wowed me. I intentionally chose to bring Astrud Gilberto (Brazil) for this session because her vocals are delicate, sweet and breathy. Diving deep into her recordings was a pleasure. 

The WA22 had a really nice finish to several notes, beautiful decay and projected a bit further out front and 3-D than my WA6SE. Long after I left the WA22's sound continued to linger. Which brings me back to Shibuya Crossing. Two weeks back at summer's end, I had a plan. I would forgo all mods, tweeks, upgrades and save up for a WA5LE. Now that I heard a '22' I realize it's a wonderful option to take should I get tired of saving (impatient?) and look to enjoy some new audio. Dizzy from all the choices, I feel like I'm standing at Shibuya Crossing - committed to going with the crush of so many others when the light changes but what direction?

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #6,167 of 42,298

Quote:
solid state recification offers virtually zero voltage sag compared to tube rectification so the sound will be more dynamic...
but, you should ask jack of wooaudio if it's alright for the wa6. solid state rectifiers put full voltage immediately to the
cathode of the output tubes without letting it warm up to put up an electron cloud. this will cause cathode stripping and
cause premature death to the output tubes.

Takezo, I would just like to say that I find your posts to be among the most useful in all of head-fi.  Thank you!!! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 13, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #6,168 of 42,298
Guys, I just received my set of TS BGRP's from Walt (e-bay) and wandered if you could advise me.....

Tube 1 is just perfect and does look brand new. Tube 2 still looks nice (although slightly taller than tube 1) but has a terrible rattle as though there is something loose inside, also the base is ever so slightly loose
frown.gif
I have tested them and dispite the issue with tube 2 they do sound amazing. Will the issue with tube 2 shorten it's life do you think? I haven't written to Walt yet as I thought I'd get your take on it.

It's a little disapointing really considering the cost. Also tube 1 is Dec 1942 and tube 2 is Nov 1942. Again, disapointing......

Oct 13, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #6,169 of 42,298

Quote:
Shibuya Crossing - World's busiest intersection and how I got there! Monday evening I met up with Clayton SF for a listening session. As the sun begin to set over the Pacific, I arrived his place casting a single shadow. When it came time to depart I cast three, count 'em, three shadows! After getting intimate with his WA22 I was clearly beside myself, that's two shadows and the third came from the suitcase packed with some of his goods (gifted me a TT).

While he had a variety of tube amps and I got time with each of them, the WA22 walked away with my attention. To keep my evaluations level and on point, I brought my own single-ended cans (Denons) and two CDs for reference. Would love to hear the WA22 in balanced mode but even in SE mode the amp wowed me. I intentionally chose to bring Astrud Gilberto (Brazil) for this session because her vocals are delicate, sweet and breathy. Diving deep into her recordings was a pleasure. 

The WA22 had a really nice finish to several notes, beautiful decay and projected a bit further out front and 3-D than my WA6SE. Long after I left the WA22's sound continued to linger. Which brings me back to Shibuya Crossing. Two weeks back at summer's end, I had a plan. I would forgo all mods, tweeks, upgrades and save up for a WA5LE. Now that I heard a '22' I realize it's a wonderful option to take should I get tired of saving (impatient?) and look to enjoy some new audio. Dizzy from all the choices, I feel like I'm standing at Shibuya Crossing - committed to going with the crush of so many others when the light changes but what direction?

I have heard the WA5LE, it is extremely nice amp and probably better than WA22.  I do no have both together to compare but I'm very happy with my WA22 and unless Jack is making a balanced version of WA5, I probably stop with WA22.  With the tubes combo I have now, I can't image anything better.

Quote:
Guys, I just received my set of TS BGRP's from Walt (e-bay) and wandered if you could advise me.....

Tube 1 is just perfect and does look brand new. Tube 2 still looks nice (although slightly taller than tube 1) but has a terrible rattle as though there is something loose inside, also the base is ever so slightly loose
frown.gif
I have tested them and dispite the issue with tube 2 they do sound amazing. Will the issue with tube 2 shorten it's life do you think? I haven't written to Walt yet as I thought I'd get your take on it.

It's a little disapointing really considering the cost. Also tube 1 is Dec 1942 and tube 2 is Nov 1942. Again, disapointing......

You can contact him to get a refund if you are not happy with the purchase.  I'm not a tube expert and can not answer your slight loose base and rattle question.  I'm not that picky on the production date as most of head-fier here.  As long as the date is not more than 3 months and the tubes are matched with tester, I'm happy.

Oct 13, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #6,170 of 42,298

Quote:
Not surprised. IMO, the GEC 6AS7G is better than the GEC 6080. And pretty much every other 6AS7 tube type. Too bad they're so hard to get.

I'm very surprise myself and thinking not much gain from my GEC 6080 and boy I'm so wrong.  It beats the GEC 6080 on hour one.

Quote:
I recently bought JC's old Woo6 Maxx from him (as well as his other cast-off a GD-Audio Phoenix) & have wildly been buying & rolling tubes, several suggested by John himself or supplied with the amp. But today I received a 5AR4 solid state rectifier that I rolled in & replaced the Sophia I got from JC. 

I'm sure I'm not the 1st guy to try this, but I can say I'm really shocked at how nice it sounds with the 2 TSs tubes I have in there with it. I saw them on eBay last week & because of some other posts on other threads involving SS tubes, I couldn't resist. So far, the amp is just getting warmed up, but, in all honesty, the amp has lost non of it's tube like sound. I haven't listened to it in a couple of days with the Sophia in it due to a trip, but if there is a difference in the sound I remember, it is a small one.  Anyway, JC, thanks for selling me the amp. I've managed to spend about as much on tubes as I paid you for the amp.  At least the Phoenix won't have that problem.

Anyway, as I said, I'm sure someone else has done this, but I'm shocked that I don't hear much more of a solid state hardness from the amp than with regular tubes. It still has that warm tubey sound I get with either the GZ34 or Sophia.  I'll turn it off & roll in the GZ34 later since I have to run an errand & see if my short-term memory notices a bigger difference than I think I'm hearing.  Anyway, I'm pretty impressed with my new solid state TUBE!

Thanks, and glad you love the amp as much as I did.

Quote:
...and you can get it--if you try.
And try you did! And you got the GEC 6AS7Gs. Wow!

Funny but I was listening to that song last night as well--Andre Previn on piano (vinyl). The Woo never ceases to amaze me. Now what's this about an ss rectifier. Which one should I try?

Yes, it takes a while but I'm glad I did give it a try.

Quote:
In my mind I'm seeing images of what you've heard with the utmost clarity. Envy could've easily gotten in the way! For me last night, it was Ella's "How High The Moon..."

Yeah, finally convert Ella's stuff to lossless.

Quote:
X 2. Hope you'll like the GEC 6AS7G, the GEC is the best among the tubes I tried in the WA22.

Big THANKS for you recommendation and help and you are right on keeping them in the closet.  Cause you never knew when you need it and they are hard to track it down, I will do the same myself.

Quote:
jc9394  what source are you using with your WA22?

iMod/iPhone > Wadia > PWD
Sony S7700 > PWD
Lossless > Bridge > PWD

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #6,172 of 42,298

Quote:

Big THANKS for you recommendation and help and you are right on keeping them in the closet.  Cause you never knew when you need it and they are hard to track it down, I will do the same myself.

You are welcome my friend and you're right, you will never know when you need them again in your new purchase. The GEC 6AS7Gs are the only tubes I keep until let go of my amps.

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #6,173 of 42,298
It's been an expensive month or so for me, tubewise (all NOS...or better, lol):

POWER:
Tung-Sol 5998
Tung-Sol 6520 - 1950's x2
Tung-Sol 7236 - 1964, cryo treated
GE 6AS7G - 1948, clear top, copper radiators
RCA 6AS7G - 1950's, black plates, bottom getters

PREAMP:
Amperex E88CC/6922 - 1959 (*9K), Hicksville NY production, D getters, PQ Shield label, matched pair x2
Amperex PCC88/7DJ8 - 1968, Heerlen Holland production, Valvo/BWB labels, matched quad
Mullard ECC88/6DJ8 - 1966 (B6B3), Blackburn UK production, IEC labels, matched pair
Siemens & Halske CCa - 1961 (A0 1≠ 2K), Munich production, matched pair
Voskhod 6N1P - 1978, Kaluga City production, Russian Milsurp x8

I don't even want to think about how much I spent on all of them, lol.  Not to mention that my Woo3+ just got Black Gates from Jack...*sigh*...

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #6,174 of 42,298

Quote:
You are welcome my friend and you're right, you will never know when you need them again in your new purchase. The GEC 6AS7Gs are the only tubes I keep until let go of my amps.

That GEC 6AS7G does wonder with WA22. 

Quote:
It's been an expensive month or so for me, tubewise (all NOS...or better, lol):

POWER:
Tung-Sol 5998
Tung-Sol 6520 - 1950's x2
Tung-Sol 7236 - 1964, cryo treated
GE 6AS7G - 1948, clear top, copper radiators
RCA 6AS7G - 1950's, black plates, bottom getters

PREAMP:
Amperex E88CC/6922 - 1959 (*9K), Hicksville NY production, D getters, PQ Shield label, matched pair x2
Amperex PCC88/7DJ8 - 1968, Heerlen Holland production, Valvo/BWB labels, matched quad
Mullard ECC88/6DJ8 - 1966 (B6B3), Blackburn UK production, IEC labels, matched pair
Siemens & Halske CCa - 1961 (A0 1≠ 2K), Munich production, matched pair
Voskhod 6N1P - 1978, Kaluga City production, Russian Milsurp x8

I don't even want to think about how much I spent on all of them, lol.  Not to mention that my Woo3+ just got Black Gates from Jack...*sigh*...

I heard you, I have to stop browsing head-fi, it is so evil...  I did not get as much as you do, only 4 pairs of tubes...

Oct 13, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #6,175 of 42,298

Quote:
I heard you, I have to stop browsing head-fi, it is so evil...  I did not get as much as you do, only 4 pairs of tubes...

Tell me about it, lol...I stayed away from here for about a year and a half, and in the mean time started collecting vintage Gillette razors, and THAT quickly spiralled out of control as well.  Came back to this place, and immediately went off the tube deep end again.  The plus though is that I have a lifetime of awesome sounding rare tubeage to enjoy. Enjoy yours as well!

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #6,176 of 42,298
I balanced my stock HD800 cable this evening (the temptation of having such a fine balanced amp overrode my apprehension), and I am loving what I hear. Early impressions are that the imaging has become more precise - much more in fact. I have heard very quiet little details on the stereo extremes that I have not heard before. There also seems to be more punch in the low frequencies, well recorded drums are sounding absolutely huge! 

I am not sure if it the nature of the amp, or the tubes I am currently using (princess,treasures and the stock power jobs) but the mid-range is very tubey and warm. Really lovely actually, but very different to the almost-solid-state cleanliness of the WA6.

I am a happy boy this evening.

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #6,178 of 42,298
Hay guys I haven't posted for awhile to busy at work
After reading the posts about the expensive 6SN7RP their is a pretty much unknown tube the 7AF7 round plate.
It has the same specs as a 6SN7 with a little lower gain 16 vrs 20 for the 6SN7 this might make it a better candidate for the WA6.
The 6DE7 has lower gain than a 6SN7.
I tried these in a 22 and sounded pretty darn good maybe not as good as my 6F8Grp but I don't have a WA6 to try these in.
If somebody that has a WA6 and would like to try the 7AF7 I will send a pair of tubes and adapters for a try and let us know how they sound.
The 7AF7 only costs $11.10 at Antique Electronic supply and as far as I know all brands are Round plate.
Let me know if anyone has interest.  Glenn

Oct 13, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #6,179 of 42,298

Quote:
Hay guys I haven't posted for awhile to busy at work
After reading the posts about the expensive 6SN7RP their is a pretty much unknown tube the 7AF7 round plate.
It has the same specs as a 6SN7 with a little lower gain 16 vrs 20 for the 6SN7 this might make it a better candidate for the WA6.
The 6DE7 has lower gain than a 6SN7.
I tried these in a 22 and sounded pretty darn good maybe not as good as my 6F8Grp but I don't have a WA6 to try these in.
If somebody that has a WA6 and would like to try the 7AF7 I will send a pair of tubes and adapters for a try and let us know how they sound.
The 7AF7 only costs $11.10 at Antique Electronic supply and as far as I know all brands are Round plate.
Let me know if anyone has interest.  Glenn

I'm adventurous, deal me in... PM to come.

Oct 13, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #6,180 of 42,298
Clayton lended me his Shuguang CV181-Zs and they arrived today.  I already want them out of my house and my own pair in my WA22.

I started off with some Fleetwood Mac and nearly melted at how incredible Stevie Nicks' voice is.  I'm not a huge female vocalist fan (the music I like isn't overly-saturated with female vocal(ist)s), but she makes me a believer.  Her voice went from semi-thin and lifeless to thick and sexy.  I'm also hearing fingers plucking guitar strings.  How detailed can these get?

I checked out some more female vocals and yep, lush throaty voice that would make a sailor blush... or something.

Such a smooth sound with no trace of harshness; this is true tube magic.  I already have one permanent tube in my system: the 5U4G mesh.  I may have another permanent set of tubes.  I'm incredibly interested in how these will sound with my TS 7236s.
Now if I can only track down a pair of GEC 6AS7Gs!  The trifecta will be complete and all will be right in the universe. 
darthsmile.gif

EDIT
A wise man once said, "more music!"  And he was rewarded with more music.

I use this phrase pretty often, but I'm really digging this tubes.  The sound is very punchy and clear with no muddiness at all.  I'm not sensing a much larger soundstage, although instrument separation is even better compared to my 6F8Gs.  Sibilance isn't a problem with even the harshest music in my collection.  It's just a smooth and well laid-out sound all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back