Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 14, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #5,431 of 42,298
Very nicely explained Mr Brent. I agree with everything you said. My 3 pairs of 6SN7 sound better than all of my other 6DE7 type tubes

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #5,433 of 42,298
I noticed some positive endorsements for the Herbie's tube dampers.  I'm thinking about getting some and can't decide between the Standard UltraSonic models or the new UltraSonic Rx models.  A significant amount of $ can be saved going with the Standard model (about 40%).  Does anyone have experience with either / both and can give a recommendation?  Would you spend 40% more for the new model if buying quite a few of the dampers?  I have a combination of straight and bottle shaped tubes if that makes a difference in effectiveness .. sound, fit, etc  (TungSol 5998, GEC 6AS7G, Sylvania 7236, etc).   Thanks.

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #5,434 of 42,298

Quote:
And a question for WooAudio gurus, i've read  a lot of comments about how good 6SN7 tubes sounds in this amplifiers, but never read a comparison of 6FD7 tubes with 6SN7, My preffered drive tube right now is a pair of RCA 6FD7 fat bottle, silver top, from circa '56, I would love to know how it compares to best 6SN7 tubes or with Shuguang Treasure CV181z, could someone compare the two? I would like to see that, thanks!

Since receiving my EML 274B mesh (not directly comparable to the 5U4G but I bet they are close) I've gone through all my older pre-6SN7 tubes with mixed and mostly disappointed results.  So far the EML has been a superb upgrade with every 6SN7 tube I've tried with it, but it doesn't have the same magic with the 6DE7 and 6FD7.  My blackplate RCA 6FD7s were my favorite tubes before turning to 6SN7s and I thought they sounded quite disappointing with the 274B.  I honestly thought it sounded a bit better with my old 5R4 rectifier which was a shock.  The sound was unfocused and vocals felt veiled.  It cleaned up the harsh midrange on a pair of GE 6FD7 but the result was a boring tube with soft detail all around.  The biggest surprise were my Raytheon 6EW7s.  I pretty much hated these tubes before.  Thin sounding and metallic with no bass whatsoever previously, they transform on the EML into a balanced tube that resembles the 6SN7 sound quite a bit actually.  The highs were a bit cold but otherwise I would be able to listen to this tube on the EML.

My opinion is probably strongly colored by the fact that I was coming off well regarded 6SN7 tubes and their superior detail and refinement, but I couldn't help but be disappointed by how my older 6DE7 family tubes fared with the EML.  I was expecting more, considering how deeply impressed I am with the improvement it had brought with all the 6SN7 tubes.  Bad synergy maybe, or maybe just my ears?

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #5,435 of 42,298

[size=medium]
[size=medium]
Hi, guys.

Just a reference.
For those people who prepare to buy EML 5U4G or 274B, I would like to recommend you to buy from TubeUSA or from Jack directly, even you are not living in States.
Dannie told me earlier that I can buy EML from Jac Music. ( Hi, Dannie, it is totally not your fault at all. )
The price of them is 170.20EUR, which is about 220USD, 10USD cheaper than TubeUSA.
However, I paid them one week ago but there was no response even I sent mails to them.
No response, no due-date, nothing replied.

Honestly, I don't think 10USD is worthy for this kind of endless waiting and suffering.....(I suppose SpudHarris had similar experience with Jac Music)
Especially, after reading the fantastic review of Darku  
frown.gif

Edited (Sep/15 AM0700): 
Finally, I got the reply now.
Jac Music will send my EML in another 24hours.
They said they have lots of orders on hand now, and very difficult to pack things in time.
I suppose it takes at least 1 week for them to response your order and few more days for shipping.
So, the leadtime is about 2 weeks after your payment, for your reference.

Regards;
Ivan.

[/size]

[/size]

Sep 15, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #5,438 of 42,298

Quote:
Could someone direct me to tubeUSA order page for the EML 5u4g mesh? Not sure if I have the right site. They do ship internationally right?

http://www.tubesusa.com/ELtubes.html
To order: YGPM

Sep 15, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #5,439 of 42,298
I use the Guitar Amp Ultrasonic 50 on my power tubes.  Work well.  Saved $10 per damper.  It's just my opinion that if a tube is moderately microphonic, a cheap damper will help.  If it's super microphonic, nothing will totally cure it.  It's better to put money into a new tube rather than covering up the symptoms of a bad tube.

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/guitar.htm

Quote:
I noticed some positive endorsements for the Herbie's tube dampers.  I'm thinking about getting some and can't decide between the Standard UltraSonic models or the new UltraSonic Rx models.  A significant amount of $ can be saved going with the Standard model (about 40%).  Does anyone have experience with either / both and can give a recommendation?  Would you spend 40% more for the new model if buying quite a few of the dampers?  I have a combination of straight and bottle shaped tubes if that makes a difference in effectiveness .. sound, fit, etc  (TungSol 5998, GEC 6AS7G, Sylvania 7236, etc).   Thanks.

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #5,440 of 42,298

Quote:
I use the Guitar Amp Ultrasonic 50 on my power tubes.  Work well.  Saved $10 per damper.  It's just my opinion that if a tube is moderately microphonic, a cheap damper will help.  If it's super microphonic, nothing will totally cure it.  It's better to put money into a new tube rather than covering up the symptoms of a bad tube.

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/guitar.htm

Crap, I didn't even see those!  They look wider than the standard UltraSonic 50/40's that I bought, which would be nice because I have a difficult time getting my Ultrasonic 50's positioned correctly.  After loosening some of the tension the skinny dampers slide all over the ring.

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #5,441 of 42,298
Oh man, it's been like Christmas day here in the Harris household today!! and I wanted to share my glee with my Woomates
biggrin.gif

1st the EML 5U4G from JAC Music turns up! Boy it's tall......

Then this lot turns up an hour or so later (with another £18 customs charge
angry_face.gif
)

On the left are 6F8G Sylvanias and on the right are the 6F8G Tung-Sol Round Plates and also shown are Glenn's adapters for my WA6> 6F8G's

Now here's the rub.... How do I subjectively compare everything?

My initial thoughts are to leave my NOS Sylvania 6SN7's in the WA6 as I have been using them the most of late and just swap out the Sophia for the EML. But I could also leave the Sophia where it is and swap out the 6SN7's for the 6F8G's. I don't really want to just drop all the new stuff in or I won't know where the changes are, but it's soooooo tempting.

What do you think?

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #5,444 of 42,298

Updated:

Finally, I got the reply now.
Jac Music will send my EML in another 24hours.
They said they have lots of orders on hand now, and very difficult to pack things in time.
I suppose it takes at least 1 week for them to response your order and few more days for shipping.
So, the leadtime is about 2 weeks after your payment, for your reference.

Regards;
Ivan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back