Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 15, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #5,446 of 42,298

Quote:
Oh man, it's been like Christmas day here in the Harris household today!! and I wanted to share my glee with my Woomates
biggrin.gif

Now here's the rub.... How do I subjectively compare everything?

My initial thoughts are to leave my NOS Sylvania 6SN7's in the WA6 as I have been using them the most of late and just swap out the Sophia for the EML. But I could also leave the Sophia where it is and swap out the 6SN7's for the 6F8G's. I don't really want to just drop all the new stuff in or I won't know where the changes are, but it's soooooo tempting.

What do you think?

I think you should buy another Woo 6 so you can do comparisons on setups on the go.
devil_face.gif
 of course you'd need to have 2 sets of headphones as well.

Is the EML fatter, slimmer or same as the Sophia, i.e would it fit with the treasures installed? An NNS setup (New New Stock)!

Steve

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #5,447 of 42,298

Quote:
Let me know how you like the wa3
tongue.gif
Looking at getting one very soon!

I will :)
I can compare the Woo 3 only against the Earmax, which does a wonderful job driving my HD650.
I hope the Woo will be quieter than the Earmax though (there's a noticeable hum)
By the way, anyone using the Woo 3 with the T1 or the HD800?

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #5,448 of 42,298

Quote:
I think you should buy another Woo 6 so you can do comparisons on setups on the go.
devil_face.gif
 of course you'd need to have 2 sets of headphones as well.

Is the EML fatter, slimmer or same as the Sophia, i.e would it fit with the treasures installed? An NNS setup (New New Stock)!

Steve 

Haha you are a funny guy Steve. My Beyer T1's are here end of the month
biggrin.gif
 just need another Woo 6 now.....

The EML is slimmer but taller than the Sophia, I haven't tried any other tubes apart from the Sylvania Chrome Top 6SN7's yet but I think the trasures will fit better than with the Sophia. I will confirm that later (may even post a pic or two).

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #5,449 of 42,298
Just purchased the EML 5U4G from Jack.  Damn, it's expensive. 
redface.gif

Nonetheless looking forward to it.
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #5,450 of 42,298
Well I have had a little listen with the EML and can say that the diffrence between it and the Sophia are immediately noticeable. Don't get me wrong, I have been very happy with the Sophia until now and it still remains a great tube IMO. The EML sound just seems more solid, bigger and yes better in all aspects in comparrison. Yes they are expensive tubes but I believe in terms of reward this is money well spent.

Oh and the other thing to mention is that it looks like a seriously beautiful tube, it's such quality that the Sophia looks quite cheap next to it. I've had so much fun with the Sophia I won't slate it because next to the EML it is the best of the rest I've tried. It will however be taking a back seat until such a time I find a tube that doesn't have synergy with the EML, it's still a very fine back up.......

Sep 15, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #5,453 of 42,298

Quote:

The EML is slimmer but taller than the Sophia, I haven't tried any other tubes apart from the Sylvania Chrome Top 6SN7's yet but I think the trasures will fit better than with the Sophia. I will confirm that later (may even post a pic or two).

Looks like you got one of the new redesigned ones with the slimmer glass.  I think the new ones look better actually.

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #5,456 of 42,298
I'm so so weak! I had to try some of my other new tubes with the EML. I went straight to the top and tried the 6F8G Tung-Sol BGRP's. It's strange because I feel a little sad inside now I've tried them, I understand why people consider them amongst THE best out there but now I have them the only way up is a better amp
frown.gif

The 6F8G Tung-Sol's are without doubt the finest tubes I have listened to but now I have to have the comfort of a back up pair in case anything happens to these.

Sep 16, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #5,457 of 42,298

Quote:
I'm so so weak! I had to try some of my other new tubes with the EML. I went straight to the top and tried the 6F8G Tung-Sol BGRP's. It's strange because I feel a little sad inside now I've tried them, I understand why people consider them amongst THE best out there but now I have them the only way up is a better amp
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//frown.gif" title="
frown.gif
" width="" />

The 6F8G Tung-Sol's are without doubt the finest tubes I have listened to but now I have to have the comfort of a back up pair in case anything happens to these.

Hey mate, there is an alternative: stop reading head-fi and enjoy your music 
smile_phones.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #5,458 of 42,298

Quote:
Same here - I only have the brown-base Sylvania 6SN7WGTA, but I think they sound terrific - relatively quite a bargain for NOS 6SN7's. 

Is this the same tube that you are mentioning? I am looking for a good starter pair of 6sn7's for my incoming amp, and would like an alternative the the shuguang treasures that jack recommends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back