Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 12, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #5,386 of 42,298
Those "tube dampers" from Ensemble Audio don't look very effective.  I'd recommend the ones from Herbie's Audio Lab.  I've been using them on my older power tubes and, like Skylab mentioned, while they don't cure 100% of microphonics, they do help.

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #5,387 of 42,298

Quote:
Those "tube dampers" from Ensemble Audio don't look very effective.  I'd recommend the ones from Herbie's Audio Lab.  I've been using them on my older power tubes and, like Skylab mentioned, while they don't cure 100% of microphonics, they do help.

Indeed, the tube dampers I have are also Herbie's.

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #5,389 of 42,298

Quote:
Ivan,

When did you  get that WA6SE? Only the latest 6SE can use those tubes.

Round mica has been said in rare cases to cause "Microphone effect and noise"

I have a WA6SE and two NOS pairs of TSRP (oval mica) but I wound never use them in my WA6SE.

Dear Sillysally,

I got my WA6SE(Maxed) from a local dealer on July, it was the last Woo amp he had and he used this one as demonstration.
I suppose this WA6SE was made later than Apirl this year.

Quote:
@ Cyberevo -

Yes, many vintage tubes can be pretty microphonic.  And tube dampers can help some, yes, although in my experience it does not completely cure it.  But I am not really bothered much by this. As long the tubes are not so microphonic that they make sounds unless you are touching the amp, I tend not to worry.

The noise, though, is more of a concern IF it starts at a level at which you would normally listen.  I use the TS BGRP in my Cary preamp, and I can turn the volume almost all the way up with no noise.  Yet I cannot actually listen at any level past 9:00.

Dear Skylab,

The microphonic problem is serious. Even I move my head, the cable of HD800 moves a little and this vibration transmit to the connection point of amp, and it cause hum in the phones, just like echo.

The noise is not a big problem to me at this moment. I can enjoy most of music around 9 o'clock.
I have carefully cleaned the pins of tubes with a metal brush again today, not much help.
Dannie just sent me a PM and I will take his advice to run this BGRP few more days, maybe time will cure it.

Quote:

Dear Thaddy,

Thanks for the information, will search Herbie's Audio Lab here in my country.

Thanks to every pro who helps me here, glad to have you watching my back.

And, sorry to my wallet, too.

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #5,390 of 42,298

Quote:
And it is awesome.  Everything I had hoped for. 

Thanks, all.

I'm glad you are able to enjoy your new amp during the weekend even though you waited until 4:30 PM yesterday. (Long wait, yes?) When you have time please post pictures of your new rig. I'd like to see how it looks on that shelf above all of those headphones.
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #5,393 of 42,298

Quote:
Just placed an order for the Woo 3!
My heart really wanted me to go for the Woo 2, but $1000 is too much for me at the moment :)
I will drive my beloved HD650, and probably some DT880, 600ohm.
Any recommendation for a DAC? I use to own a Audio-GD Ref.5, and though I really liked it I'm looking for smoother and richer sound.

I was somewhat planning to buy a ref-5 (or nfb-1) to go with my wa22. Your words are a little disheartening. Have you considered something like the "musical" audio-gd dac3se? Or are you trying to stay away from other audio-gd products?

As already mentioned, the psa dl3 seems to be a very popular choice with the woo amps.

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #5,394 of 42,298

Quote:
I was somewhat planning to buy a ref-5 (or nfb-1) to go with my wa22. Your words are a little disheartening. Have you considered something like the "musical" audio-gd dac3se? Or are you trying to stay away from other audio-gd products?

As already mentioned, the psa dl3 seems to be a very popular choice with the woo amps.

I remember when he was selling the ROC, he did not feel right keeping the Ref-5 without the ROC...I tried to persuade him on all its features anyway....lol

Quote:
Just placed an order for the Woo 3!
My heart really wanted me to go for the Woo 2, but $1000 is too much for me at the moment :)
I will drive my beloved HD650, and probably some DT880, 600ohm.
Any recommendation for a DAC? I use to own a Audio-GD Ref.5, and though I really liked it I'm looking for smoother and richer sound.

Can't believe you sold the Ref-5....lol...I would have taken it off your hands if you were in the US....Congrats on the WA3...I have my DAC-19DF connected to my WA2........NICE SOUNDS INDEED
beerchug.gif

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #5,395 of 42,298

Quote:

The Ref.5 is great, no doubts about that!
But...I felt there was something I was not totally happy with...slightly lack of dynamics, and it was very unforgiven of bad recordings.
I'll probably try a NOS dac, I'm dreaming of a Audio Note, though it's quite expensive.

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #5,396 of 42,298

Quote:
I remember when he was selling the ROC, he did not feel right keeping the Ref-5 without the ROC...I tried to persuade him on all its features anyway....lol

Can't believe you sold the Ref-5....lol...I would have taken it off your hands if you were in the US....Congrats on the WA3...I have my DAC-19DF connected to my WA2........NICE SOUNDS INDEED
beerchug.gif

LOL
yeah I remember :)
I find the DAC19 (though I never heard) is probably a better match than the Ref.5. What I mean is, I'd rather spend some money on headphones and tubes than on a balanced source for a SE amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back