Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 1, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #5,056 of 42,298
Quote:
After 9 days waiting, I finally got the adapters made by Glenn.
I am about to buy one pair of VT-231 out of following candidates to pair with my WA6SE Maxed/HD800, if i want a bigger soundstage, which one of them will you recommend?

Sylvania 6SN7W tall

Sylvania 6SN7/VT-231

Tung-Sol 6SN7/VT-231 mouse ears

Any comment is helpful and highly appreciated.
Thanks!
(sorry for the auction links in Chinese, and my lousy English..)

I think mouse ears will be you best bet out of those. However, mouse ears are not vt231. The vt231 code was retired in 1945 and mouse ears weren't in production until after 1948. Your English is perfect by the way. 
smile.gif

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #5,060 of 42,298
Just ordered my WA6-SE today with the following options:

1) 274B Sophia Princess Rectifier

2) Upgrade tube sockets

3) 6EW7 Driver tubes

4) 48" DC cord

Once I receive it from Jack (Woo audio) and have the opportunity to set it up I will definitely report on thread with pictures and performance of system with my phone collection and sources.

Outside of my K1000 the amp should drive the rest of my hi and lo impedance phones!

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #5,061 of 42,298

Quote:
These forums should not be used to sell and promote items on.  That is what the FS forum is for.

Yes you are right, but as you can see these are high end tubes that are for are Woo amps. I just wanted to give to folks I hang out with first chance at getting very nice tubes at a very good price. FYI, I had offers for more money than I was selling these tubes for but turned the offers down.

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #5,062 of 42,298
^^^ That was very thoughtful of you to give us Woo family members the first shot at the chance to purchase your nice tubes and Treasures.
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #5,063 of 42,298

Just ordered my WA6-SE today with the following options:

1) 274B Sophia Princess Rectifier

2) Upgrade tube sockets

3) 6EW7 Driver tubes

4) 48" DC cord

Once I receive it from Jack (Woo audio) and have the opportunity to set it up I will definitely report on thread with pictures and performance of system with my phone collect and sources.

Outside of my K1000 the amp should drive the rest of my hi and lo impedance phones!

Sweeeet!!!!!!!

Sep 1, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #5,064 of 42,298
For those WA3, WA2, and WA22 owners, have you guys ever tried the Tungsol/Chatham 6080?  I had such low expectations for these tubes since they don't seem to get a lot of press, however after warming them up for an hour and giving them a listen...I was blown away.  They seem to reproduce every single note exactly how it was intended, with a touch of warmth in the mid range that results in a very satisfying presentation.

If you like the Tungsol 7236, give these tubes a shot!

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #5,066 of 42,298

Quote:
I'm loving my new WA6se. But from reading some previous comments, Jack sells adaptors to 6SN7 for $35/pair is that true?
I emailed jack couple days ago , but I have no response. I'm guessing the only way I can get them is by e mailing him? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Glenn's adaptors are only for the older WA6 models?

Glenn will make adapters for specific tubes for whichever Woo you own. You just have to tell him what your tube needs are and what your Woo Amp specs are and he'll tell you if he can customize the appropriate adapters. He's is an excellent communicator. I have several adapters made by Glenn for the current WA6 model.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #5,067 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

I think mouse ears will be you best bet out of those. However, mouse ears are not vt231. The vt231 code was retired in 1945 and mouse ears weren't in production until after 1948. Your English is perfect by the way. 
smile.gif

The tube dealers in Taiwan always recommend Sylvania (and RCA would be the next one they promote) while several seniors here in this thread highly appreciate Tung-Sol.
I am totally new to tubes and I can only make decision based on the replies in this forum.

Thanks for your reply and the informative comment. 
smile.gif

I try to avoid wasting money but it seems the tube rolling is still inevitable to me....

Sep 2, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #5,068 of 42,298

Quote:
I'm loving my new WA6se. But from reading some previous comments, Jack sells adaptors to 6SN7 for $35/pair is that true?
I emailed jack couple days ago , but I have no response. I'm guessing the only way I can get them is by e mailing him? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Glenn's adaptors are only for the older WA6 models?

I too, am loving my sexy black < 60 day WA 6 SE. Yesterday, I just received my 6SN7 to 6DE7 adapters from Glenn. However, I'm still shopping for tubes. I found Glenn both through this forum and to be courteous; prompt. When you've the chance, send him a PM.

Sep 2, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #5,069 of 42,298
I am glad that I found this forum when I started to build up my headset rigs, and I am also glad that I can read a little English.
Several of my decisions of procurement were based on the advices here in Headfi.

It is difficult to find useful information and deep reviews in Chinese, especially to certain gears, not to mention many reviews of Hi-Fi are somewhat advertising.
Not so many experienced seniors willing to share their experiences(or, they just not used to type their comments in any forum on internet like younger generations would do).
I found that recent players here in Taiwan tend to roll their AMPs rather than rolling tubes to optimize their equipments.

Any way, nice to be a new member of this big family. 
smile_phones.gif

I will try to take some pictures of my rigs after I put new 6SN7 on.

Sep 2, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #5,070 of 42,298
Quote:

Glenn made my first pair of adapters. There is often variance in the depth and diameter of the driver tube cutouts. I recommend measuring the dimensions as accurately as you can and provide that information to Glenn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back