Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 30, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #5,041 of 42,298
Quote:
FYI for older WA6 owner looking to buy 6SN7 tube adapters, make sure that you let the maker know about the size of the small openings where the tubes fit in . They did not fit my amp and I am having to use socket savers under the adapters which I think is taking a lot of the increased audio qualities of the 6SN7s away. Right now they do not sound better than my fat bottle 6FD7 sylvanias and both pair of 6SN7s that I have are used so they should not need much burning.
I am waiting for Glenn to contact me to see what he can do , I am sure he will do his best to solve the issue , he is very professional and has great costumer service skills.

I received the adapters today and the depth of the adapters are very close. I am not feeling a solid mechanical connection when I plug in the adapters. I have emailed Glenn and have asked his opinion.

Adapter Depth
Pin Length
Amp Socket Depth
Left
0.553"​
0.2"​
0.552"​
Right
0.565"​
0.225"​
0.568"​

So far I have only 4 hours on the Treasures. The sound bloated and is far worse than my DuMont fat bottle 6FD'7. I know more time is needed to settle in.

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #5,042 of 42,298

Quote:
FYI for older WA6 owner looking to buy 6SN7 tube adapters, make sure that you let the maker know about the size of the small openings where the tubes fit in . They did not fit my amp and I am having to use socket savers under the adapters which I think is taking a lot of the increased audio qualities of the 6SN7s away. Right now they do not sound better than my fat bottle 6FD7 sylvanias and both pair of 6SN7s that I have are used so they should not need much burning.
I am waiting for Glenn to contact me to see what he can do , I am sure he will do his best to solve the issue , he is very professional and has great costumer service skills.

Quote:
guys,
to be clear  ---  i talked to cesar (che15) about the adapters he just received from glenn.
and, if i understand this correctly, it's not the diameter of glenn's adapters that's the issue.  it's the height of the bottom portion of the adapter.
since the sockets on the wa6 are recessed into the amp, the adapter must be both the right diameter AND height to plug fully into the sockets.

i noticed this with mine, but didn't think much about it, when i plugged them in.  the larger top half of my adapters sunk slightly into the amp when i plugged them in all the way.
like i said, i didn't think much about it.  but, now i can see that the bottom part of the adapter needs to be taller to plug into the old woo models.

just giving everybody a heads-up.

Quote:

The WA6 socket depth must have changed at some point, because the thin portion of my adapters from Glenn clear the tops of the socket cutouts meaning they would work even if I had the smaller diameter cutout.

Quote:
well, cesar spoke w/ glenn.  and it turns out that glenn may have made this set a tad short.
or, that cesar's sockets are just set a tad deeper than normal.
either way, glenn is making cesar another pair. 

glenn is great, man!
very responsive indeed.

sorry for the (perhaps) false alarm.

When glenn2359 was making my 6SN7 adapters, I gave him the width and depth of the holes in my WA6, which has smaller holes because it was built in August 2007.  My holes were 5/8" deep and 25mm wide measured with a cheap 6" plastic ruler, so too small for wide bottle 6EW7 and others.  Glenn originally said his adapters were 22.5mm wide at the thin portion near the socket, and the thin portion was 1/2" deep before it widened up.  He made me a custom adapter than would go deeper than usual, and it seems to fit and work in my WA6.  It does seem slightly loose like the socket doesn't grab the pins as tightly.  Che bought his after me, and asked for the same adapters.

I found my pair of Sylvania VT-231 tubes buried in the closet tonight and installed them, and with just 10 minutes of warming up the WA6 sounds very very good with my LCD-2.  It seems smoother, more spacious, and gives the LCD-2 just a little more sparkle in the highs than my RCA 6DE7 that I've been using for a year and a half.  I don't have any other pairs of 6SN7 tyoe tubes, just a few singles like one Sylvania "Bad Boy", RCA red base 5692, Hytron brown base 5692, and Tung Sol 6SN7GTB left over from my old DV336i.

I'm leaving the VT-231 installed in the WA6 for now.  After listening for a few days I'll compare them to the old RCA 6DE7 again.

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #5,043 of 42,298

Quote:
I received the adapters today and the depth of the adapters are very close. I am not feeling a solid mechanical connection when I plug in the adapters. I have emailed Glenn and have asked his opinion.

Adapter Depth
Pin Length
Amp Socket Depth
Left
0.553"​
0.2"​
0.552"​
Right
0.565"​
0.225"​
0.568"​

So far I have only 4 hours on the Treasures. The sound bloated and is far worse than my DuMont fat bottle 6FD'7. I know more time is needed to settle in.

I agree mine don't seem to have a solid feeling mechanical connection in terms of not feeling tight and solid if I wiggle them or pull them out of the amp.  The Woo sockets grab the pins of the RCA 6DE7 tubes more tightly than these adapters.  But, they work well enough that I hope I wont need to do anything about it.

My son has a vernier caliper for some reason that I can measure, but it's difficult to read by flashlight (my wife is asleep in the room with WA6).  But I measured as best I could.  EDIT - I was not reading the caliper right the first time.  I just fixed the numbers.  My socket adapters can go in 15 mm deep, and my socket holes are 16 mm deep from the surface of the amp.  (the holes are 24.5 mm wide)  However, the metal contacts inside the socket pin holes are another 2-3 mm below the top of the amp socket.  The adapter pins are 6 mm long.  So when I insert the adapters into the Woo amp, the pins only reach about 2 - 2.5 mm into the metal contacts inside the Woo socket.

It seems to pins on the adapter need to be another 2 -3 mm longer, and/or the skinny part of the adapter needs to allow seating it another 1 mm deeper in the hole.

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #5,044 of 42,298

Quote:
Purely a guess on my part, but you will probably receive the silver label RCA 6SN7GTB side getter.  They are by far the most common RCA out there and are still very affordable.  I have some..... they sound pleasant but nothing special compared to my more recent 6SN7 buys.  I found the upper middle to upper midrange to be much too warm on them.

Just as I finished reading your reply, almost certain it was 'enthusiasm' I heard tippin' down the hall behind my back. Well then, let's get to the more interesting buys you made recently...

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #5,045 of 42,298
If you want a nice RCA you want the greyglass 6SN7GT VT-231 version from the 40's.  So far I have enjoyed them the most out of the tubes I have purchased.  Not the last word in very many things but they have an involving depth and musicality that makes them highly enjoyable to listen to.  Be prepared to spend anywhere from $50-100 for a NOS pair though.  Also, beware the late 40's tubes whose grey glass coating is partially transparent (i.e. you can see the plates still).  These tubes don't have the magic of the ones from 1942 to 1945 whose coating is solid grey.

We'll see if the Sylvania Bad Boys emerge as my new favorite tube shortly.  For what I paid for them I certainly hope so.

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #5,046 of 42,298

Quote:

Che I made you new adapters tonight the skinny part is19mm be for the pins start this should be good for your amp.
I'll be shipping them to marrow Wednesday at lunch time so you should have them Thursday or Friday. Let me know
if they are OK ween you receive them.
Glenn

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #5,047 of 42,298
Like I said , great costumer service from Glenn. I guess I had to give some time to these tubes even when they were used. The sound has Improved greatly , just like you guys are describing it. Much more detail, better instrument separation and slight increase in sound stage. I think my sound stage would be much better if I was using a Sophia or EML , but I love my BugleBoy for its amazing Mid range and Treble and its punchi sound. I am using a pair of Tung-sol 6SN7 GT and I also have a pair of Sylvanias GTB from the 50s that I have to do some more listening with.

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #5,048 of 42,298

Quote:
Che I made you new adapters tonight the skinny part is19mm be for the pins start this should be good for your amp.
I'll be shipping them to marrow Wednesday at lunch time so you should have them Thursday or Friday. Let me know
if they are OK ween you receive them.
Glenn

Hi, I've gone ahead and sent you an email because with my adapters the pins only make it about 2 - 2.5 mm into the metal contacts of the amp's socket, and I don't know if that is enough contact with the 6 mm long pins - the pins can't go their full 6 mm into the holes in the socket.  

See post #5042 and #5043 above from last night.  Thanks!

Sep 1, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #5,049 of 42,298
After 9 days waiting, I finally got the adapters made by Glenn.
I am about to buy one pair of VT-231 out of following candidates to pair with my WA6SE Maxed/HD800, if i want a bigger soundstage, which one of them will you recommend?

Sylvania 6SN7W tall

Sylvania 6SN7/VT-231

Tung-Sol 6SN7/VT-231 mouse ears

Any comment is helpful and highly appreciated.
Thanks!
(sorry for the auction links in Chinese, and my lousy English..)

Sep 1, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #5,050 of 42,298
I will sell somebody that lives in USA a pair of ,
"Hand-pick matched pair
Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z / 6SN7GT
We tested these tubes in an actual amplifier to ensure the highest quality" Jack put stickers on the base for right and left
Got these tubes from Jack new when I got my WA5LE March 27th 2010 and that is when I started to use them, stopped using them about six weeks later.  There is a one year warranty from Jack but I don't know if it is transferable. SOLD. usd shipped. SOLD , sorry.
http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa5le.html

Also I have a EML 274B mesh plate I got new from tubesUSA. There is about 150 hours on this tube. SOLD. shipped. usd. SOLD , sorry.

Also a brand new Princess 274B mesh, I did try it in my WA6SE for about 15 min, got it from Jack. SOLD. usd shipped.

Paypal only.

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #5,052 of 42,298
Mr Sally I just pm you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back