Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 20, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #1,381 of 42,298
I know it is okay to change headphones while the volume is low. Is this same for GES Stax?

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #1,382 of 42,298
Man, hopefully all I have is one more week before the my amp is shipped. Reading Woo threads and buying tubes has been getting me through the wait. Picked up a pair of Jan Phillips 6922's, RCA 6922's on the way, and a Sylvania 7236. Looking for a Tung sol 5998 without paying a bundle and some more tubes.What else is everybody else been doing to get through the wait?

Nov 20, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #1,383 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meaning Woo amps are put together by hand, even the transformers are hand-wound; thus the build time requiered for them. Take a look here.

I have only a WA6 (not SE) and I love the combination with my 701's too.
k701smile.gif

... still I wonder how those SR-007 sound with a GES and HeadRoom's Micro DAC...

HR Micro DAC > GES with GE "wurlitzer" or Telefunken smooth plate 12AX7 > SR-007 is a good match with good synergy.

Also, for you HE-5 lovers out there - my maxed WA6 (non-SE) with pseudo dual power supply and sophia princess 274b does a very nice job driving the new Head-direct HE-5 orthodynamic phones, despite their reputation for being difficult phones to drive.

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #1,384 of 42,298

Your item was delivered at 10:28 AM on November 19, 2009 in DUBLIN, CA 94568.

Detailed Results:

Delivered, November 19, 2009, 10:28 am, DUBLIN, CA 94568
Arrival at Post Office, November 19, 2009, 9:15 am, SAN RAMON, CA 94583
Processed through Sort Facility, November 19, 2009, 12:27 am, OAKLAND, CA 94615
Electronic Shipping Info Received, November 18, 2009
Processed through Sort Facility, November 17, 2009, 8:14 pm, BETHPAGE, NY 11714

I sent an e-mail to Woo to see if they can do anything about this. I'm incredibly busy at work so I'll have to wait to call USPS...

Nov 20, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #1,386 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Your item was delivered at 10:28 AM on November 19, 2009 in DUBLIN, CA 94568.

Detailed Results:

Delivered, November 19, 2009, 10:28 am, DUBLIN, CA 94568
Arrival at Post Office, November 19, 2009, 9:15 am, SAN RAMON, CA 94583
Processed through Sort Facility, November 19, 2009, 12:27 am, OAKLAND, CA 94615
Electronic Shipping Info Received, November 18, 2009
Processed through Sort Facility, November 17, 2009, 8:14 pm, BETHPAGE, NY 11714

I sent an e-mail to Woo to see if they can do anything about this. I'm incredibly busy at work so I'll have to wait to call USPS...

I hope you were given the wrong tracking number instead of your amp being delivered to the wrong address. If I remember correctly, I had to sign for mine when it was delivered. Obviously, I hope everything turns out fine for you. I've got my fingers crossed...

Glenn

Nov 20, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #1,387 of 42,298
Whew! Crisis averted..

The link he sent me had the right tracking number in the address, but when I clicked it, it routed me to a different tracking number. Unfortunately, I won't be home to sign for it but hopefully the postman just leaves it by the mailboxes at my apartment. Jack said it should arrive today
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #1,388 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whew! Crisis averted..

The link he sent me had the right tracking number in the address, but when I clicked it, it routed me to a different tracking number. Unfortunately, I won't be home to sign for it but hopefully the postman just leaves it by the mailboxes at my apartment. Jack said it should arrive today
biggrin.gif

Excellent! I'll bet you're mega excited. They may not leave it without a signature. I'd give the post office a call if I were you and pick it there just to be safe. I wouldn't feel comfortable having an expensive package just being left at my door.
Glenn

Nov 20, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #1,389 of 42,298
I have a pair of HD650's and will be ordering a WA6 with the pdps upgrade in the next couple of days.

I would have preferred the WA6SE but finances dictate and I have to go for the WA6

This will be my 1st dedicated headphone amp and I am really looking forward to getting it
happy_face1.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #1,390 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by gt67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of HD650's and will be ordering a WA6 with the pdps upgrade in the next couple of days.

I would have preferred the WA6SE but finances dictate and I have to go for the WA6

This will be my 1st dedicated headphone amp and I am really looking forward to getting it
happy_face1.gif

I have that combo. I think you'll love it.

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #1,391 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
covenant, if you want to make use of the 6fd7 on your wa6SE amp, this is all you need
to have done on it. replace the circled capacitors with one rated at 200volts. the ones
in your amp now is rated at 100v only. you're hearing the crackling/popping
sound when the voltage at the cathode plate exceed the rating of the cap.

the capacitance value should be similar at 470uf. it's not crucial that it is the same
but within 40% of the value is recommended. this cap influences the SQ
immensely, so getting one of high quality is important. panasonic TS-ED series
caps are excellent. (if you're using blackgates, then the non-polar N-series is
highly recommended. it's a 220uf/160v cap.)

any competant technician can do this in less than 30 minutes.
or have it sent in back to wooaudio to make use of the warranty.

vllounge001429.jpg

I have swapped those caps and It seems the amp works well with 6FD7, no crackling or popping sound. Thanks Takezo!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #1,392 of 42,298
At 7am I picked up my WA6SE maxxed from the usps. The wait was 6 weeks. I told all my crews to not bother showing up today since it was going to rain all day. The good news was the notice when I got home that said the woo was at the po. Up at 5:30, reloaded squeezebox server to take care of that problem, out the door at 20 to seven to be at the post office when they opened. Detoured around the flooded creeks. I guess the historic drought is over.

I hooked it up to my modded PSAudio DL3. It's fed by the squeezebox and a sony transport. Plugged in the GS1000i and gave a listen.

First the bad part, just to get it out of the way. After all the comments about great build quality, I have to say it just aint so. Thick pieces of aluminum do not equal great build quality. I mean it can't just stop there. I am in the business of building perfection. My stainless countertops are perfect. My trim work is perfect. My tile work is perfect. This amp is just ok. The back plate has a ding in one corner where it was probably dropped prior to assembly. There are tiny nicks or possibly inclusions in the surfaces of the top plates. The back plates meet the sides inconsistently with reveals that vary by perhaps .040. All this is superficial and is not to be judged as poor quality. It just isn't great. The PSA DL3 sitting next to it has better detailing. So does the Sony cd transport for that matter. What the Woo has is big heavy chunks of aluminum that have been nicely milled by a cnc or mill. The last gripe is that the cut outs around the output tubes aren't even close to centered on the tube sockets. They missed this by perhaps 1/8" or 1/16" center to center. Stand back and look and it is very nice to look at. It is only up close that the nits can be picked.

Now to the sound. I like it. I'm using stock tubes for the break in. On first power up, it was not at all impressive, but that was not surprising. After an hour it was very enjoyable but not mindblowing. After 4 hours it is starting to open up a little and is approaching the level of my speaker setup. It can only get better from here. I'll be running it hard for 8 hours at a stretch until I get around 600 hours on it before I spring for a Sophia Princess.

The upsides so far with the Grados are well managed bass, highs that are clear but not overly bright and a very well balanced presentation in the midrange. One very very nice thing about this setup is how good it sounds at low listening levels. It doesn't get all washed out when the volume knob is below 9:00. This measures at around 70db and even at that level the sound is still full and complete and involving.

That's the good and the bad so far. Pictures to follow. I'm really liking it so far.

Nov 20, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #1,393 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by gt67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

happy_face1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have that combo. I think you'll love it.

Just like Glentiki, I mean atbglenn, I have that combo too and it is an incredible pairing--like soup & sandwich, peanut butter & jelly, Led & Zeppelin (WHAT?). ENJOY!

Nov 20, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #1,394 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton SF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just like Glentiki, I mean atbglenn, I have that combo too and it is an incredible pairing--like soup & sandwich, peanut butter & jelly, Led & Zeppelin (WHAT?). ENJOY!

Get it straight Claytune, That's Glenntiki with 2 n's pal
tongue.gif

Nov 21, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #1,395 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get it straight Claytune, That's Glenntiki with 2 n's pal
tongue.gif

Eeeeeeek! I am so sorry Glenn. I was concentrating on being funny and I misspelled your name. How could I do that? Gawd, that was stupid. Now Caltiki will get me for sure. Aaaahhhhhhhhhh. Squirt (no flesh, just bones and a skull).
frown.gif

Anyway. I am still waiting for my WA22. Waiting on Woo. Waiting on Woo. Waiting on Woo.

When it arrives I will lock myself in my room and never come out. At least until I accept another tube delivery from the UPS guy.
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back