Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 19, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #556 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sneak Peek at WA22 review:

Guys - the WA22 I have here for the CO meet next week is decidedly better with HD800/600 than the maxed WA6 with pseudo dual power supply and Sophia - driving the HD800/600 single ended with the WA22 still has a more spacious and separated soundstage than the WA6, with a little more improvement balanced on top of the already nice sound.

For less money the WA22 seems to be on about the level of the $2500 EC Zana Deux Transformer with HD800/600, HF-2 and RS-1, and ATH-A900 - but not as good with K1000 and without the 8-watt speaker outputs of the ZDT.

Nobody here cares about the new WA22 balanced amp I posted about?

The prototype is taking away the fun I used to have with my WA6 - I hate to send it back in a week, except that I'll still have the ZDT which is also exceptional.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #557 of 42,298
Quote:

The prototype is taking away the fun I used to have with my WA6 - I hate to send it back in a week, except that I'll still have the ZDT which is also exceptional.

I'm of the mind that the improvements you heard from the WA22 can likely be explained by better drive, Larry. I was shocked to find out how low-powered the WA6 is compared to the SE model, and Senns are damn hungry beasts when it comes to power.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #558 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm of the mind that the improvements you heard from the WA22 can likely be explained by better drive, Larry. I was shocked to find out how low-powered the WA6 is compared to the SE model, and Senns are damn hungry beasts when it comes to power.

I had experience the power deficiency when I had the WA6 earlier even it was maxed out... Glad to own a WA6SE now...

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #559 of 42,298
I have a standard 6 and I have to say there is more than enough power for driving HD650's to ear splitting levels without distortion.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #561 of 42,298
Quote:

I don't think nobody cares. I do think that if the WA22 wasn't doing a better job that the WA6 then it would be hard to justify the additional cost of the WA22. I guess nobody is surprised it is better.

Now pitting it against the WA6SE maxxed with Sophia is another matter
icon10.gif

Simon

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #562 of 42,298
The wa22 looks nice, but I am waiting to see if he comes out with upgraded parts before I male my decision between it and a fully loaded wa5. My eye is always wandering so it might get distracted before then. The wes looks so good it might persuade me to go stats.

Jul 19, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #563 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by rurika /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, HeadphoneAddict

Which driver tubes did you use with WA22 ?

I'm preorder WA22 but I don't upgrade 6sn7 tube yet.

This is the prototype which is using RCA 12AU7 (not 12AX7). It also has the Sophia Princess 274B rectifier, and a pair of Sylvania 7236 power tubes. We got a loan for the Colorado meet on the 25th.

As for WA6 vs WA22 for the rest of you - the biggest difference is in the size of the soundstage and channel separation. Sound signature is actually similar, but the WA22 makes the WA6 sound like it has a more forward and narrower soundstage. By itself the WA6 was my best dynamic amp for soundstage, until I compared it to these two amps with balanced drive. Yes the WA22 is more powerful and can get more volume out of difficult cans like the K1000, but the WA6 is no power-slouch with any of my 32 ohm - 300 ohm cans, and is even pretty decent with my 600 ohm K240M.

The ZDT sounds just as spacious as the WA22. My plan was to get the ZDT to drive my K1000 and Stax transformer in my bedroom rig (while also being able to drive all my other dynamic cans), and keep the Woo WA6 and GES together in the living room rig. But now the problem is just "knowing" I've heard something better and don't have it bugs me.
tongue.gif

I've compared the WA6 to a Zana Deux before and they were much closer to each other, but now the new ZDT and WA22 take it another step further. I wanted my better rig in my bedroom, but I think the ZDT might be putting off too much heat for the bedroom (I don't like hot rooms). Now I'm thinking I'd like a WA22 to go with my GES in the bedroom, and I'd really like to sell the GES for a WES. Funny thing is I already have 8 other amps and two Stax pro-bias transformers in my bedroom, but none are as good as the WA6 (2 are close), not to mention the WA22 or ZDT.

Jul 27, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #564 of 42,298
Folks, hopefully, these images come through. My first time posting pictures so you never know what's going to happen.

Enjoy!

Johnnie

Jul 27, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #565 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Folks, hopefully, these images come through. My first time posting pictures so you never know what's going to happen.

Enjoy!

Johnnie

How about the sound of it ? Could be tempted to try a STAX with proper amplification and possibly a Pawel Headphone processor (and a source exactly in the range that you have) if I survive the swine flu during my upcoming holidays and would be blessed with some additional income (both conditions need to be met)
icon10.gif
. OK - maybe too much for the moment - but I am interested anyway.

Jul 27, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #566 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Enjoy!

Johnnie

Lovely looking GES, congrats
smily_headphones1.gif
Woo GES to HE60 was one of the finest setups I've heard.

On a sidenote, it seems my Sophia Princess has passed away. I'm shipping her mortal remains back to her hometown at Sophia Electric, where Jack will say a few kind words and get them to send me back the next candidate for the throne.

Jul 27, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #567 of 42,298
Quote:

On a sidenote, it seems my Sophia Princess has passed away. I'm shipping her mortal remains back to her hometown at Sophia Electric, where Jack will say a few kind words and get them to send me back the next candidate for the throne

Wow, what is this the dark ages, that sure was a short reign on the throne.

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #569 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by MooBin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the sound of it ? Could be tempted to try a STAX with proper amplification and possibly a Pawel Headphone processor (and a source exactly in the range that you have) if I survive the swine flu during my upcoming holidays and would be blessed with some additional income (both conditions need to be met)
icon10.gif
. OK - maybe too much for the moment - but I am interested anyway.

MooBin,

The sound is amazing. I previously used the SRM-006t, which is no slouch, to drive my SR-404s. The GES takes it to another level. While it has a similar sound signature (at least to my ears), it's more resolving of details, has a much bigger soundstage and seems to possess effortless power. Though some say Stax is not suitable to rock and certain other types of music, with an amp like the GES, you really can enjoy any type of music.

For me, it was also a no brainer given the cost of Stax's top-of-the line amp (SRM-007t) is on par with a maxxed GES. Unlike the Stax, however, the GES autobiases the tubes. The only downside is that the GES does not accept balanced inputs.

It did a great job of driving HeadphoneAddict's O2s at the Denver meet last Saturday. This can is notoriously difficult to drive, but based on what I heard then, it has we wondering if I really need to upgrade my amp when I acquire a pair of the O2s.

Hope this helps.

Johnnie

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #570 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lovely looking GES, congrats
smily_headphones1.gif
Woo GES to HE60 was one of the finest setups I've heard.

On a sidenote, it seems my Sophia Princess has passed away. I'm shipping her mortal remains back to her hometown at Sophia Electric, where Jack will say a few kind words and get them to send me back the next candidate for the throne.

Thanks Covenant. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Johnnie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back