Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 7, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #41,731 of 42,298
I think part of the problem is that the RK50 is standard (I think) and just there is $1,000

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 7, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #41,732 of 42,298
I'm not really understanding that WA23 pricing. without the early bird discount, the retail is even higher than wa33 standard edition (?).
Woo Audio has been referring to it as a “baby WA33 Elite.” With that in mind, it’s pricing seems to reflect that.

May 8, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #41,733 of 42,298
I'm not really understanding that WA23 pricing. without the early bird discount, the retail is even higher than wa33 standard edition (?).
Being so many people move from the 'standard' WA33 to the JPS, Elite I'm thinking the WA23 might replan the 'standard' WA33...just a thought.
I think part of the problem is that the RK50 is standard (I think) and just there is $1,000
The RK50 is standard in the WA23.

Jun 9, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #41,734 of 42,298
~ The Woo Audio WA2 amplifier / ZMF headphone pairing continues to be my compass for navigating the Straits of Musicalia.
~ On this voyage, the rectifiers are RFT EZ81 (foil getter), the powers are GEC CV2984, the drivers are Valvo E88CC. The RFT ECC81 (foil getter) are on shore leave at the last port-of-call. The Eikon is the headphone bowsprit on this tour.
~ ⚓️ away...all heads on deck…🎼🎶
Here to also sing the praises of the WA2, bringing musical joy to this Head-Fier!

RFT EZ-81 (foil getter), Tung-Sol 7236, Amperex 7308s and a Synergistic Research Purple fuse driving ZMF Auteurs (Norne Drausk cable) and Focal Stellias (Cardas Clear Light cable) = musical bliss.

Grateful for how amazing music can be with cans… I can’t imagine the gear/listening room I’d need to match this with speakers.

A52B725C-E49D-4DAD-A728-3F75ABE95BD7.jpeg

Jun 10, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #41,735 of 42,298
Here to also sing the praises of the WA2, bringing musical joy to this Head-Fier!

RFT EZ-81 (foil getter), Tung-Sol 7236, Amperex 7308s and a Synergistic Research Purple fuse driving ZMF Auteurs (Norne Drausk cable) and Focal Stellias (Cardas Clear Light cable) = musical bliss.

Grateful for how amazing music can be with cans… I can’t imagine the gear/listening room I’d need to match this with speakers.

A52B725C-E49D-4DAD-A728-3F75ABE95BD7.jpeg
Very nice! I've heard good things about the WA2, but I've never had a chance to hear one.

Jun 10, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #41,736 of 42,298

Very nice!

Mine continues to burn in. According to Mike at Woo Audio I should continue the burn in process before I start tube rolling.

Just did a comparison between the headphone jacks on my McIntosh MA6600 and the DAC D100 jack as well and finally the WA2.
The WA2 takes it to an entirely different level.

The D100 will soon be replaced by a D1100. I am confident the WA2 will continue to impress.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #41,737 of 42,298
Very nice! I've heard good things about the WA2, but I've never had a chance to hear one.
I took a bit of a leap of faith based on thorough research, and was upgrading from a Feliks Audio Echo, a fine amp in its own right. But I was not prepared for the leap in quality, it was almost shocking.

With the current tube/fuse/cable complement I’d have to call my WA2 “a steel fist in a very soft velvet glove”. 😁

Jun 10, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #41,740 of 42,298
Has anyone replaced the fuse in a WA-22 2nd Gen and if so, with what, and did it make an audible difference?
Not in a WA-22 but in a WA-2. Replacement fuse is Synergistic Research Purple (T 3.15A, 5x20mm). Audible difference for the better is only the beginning…

Jun 10, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #41,741 of 42,298
Has anyone replaced the fuse in a WA-22 2nd Gen and if so, with what, and did it make an audible difference?

Against my better judgement I tried a Synergetic Research Orange fuse in my WA22 and I was shocked, shocked at the improvement. The sound was bigger, more transparent and more detailed. There was way more there there.

Jun 10, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #41,742 of 42,298
I have zero experience with tubes. These amps are beautiful. What kind of maintenance required? Where to begin?

I guess "where to begin" is decide how much you want to spend and what models are in your budget. Then start scouring the forums to see what people are saying. Your 'phones and DAC are pretty mainstream and shouldn't have any particular issues with system matching IMO.

Re: maintenance there is very little. Mostly just acquiring ever more exotic tubes.

Jun 11, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #41,743 of 42,298
I guess "where to begin" is decide how much you want to spend and what models are in your budget. Then start scouring the forums to see what people are saying. Your 'phones and DAC are pretty mainstream and shouldn't have any particular issues with system matching IMO.

Re: maintenance there is very little. Mostly just acquiring ever more exotic tubes.
Hey thanks very much. Yeah, I figure so much. I went to the Woo website and it’s really what I need I guess. Looking over the lineup, I really do need only an amp. My DAC is good. I won’t be driving speakers. I have mono amps for that task. Not sure really I even need a preamp with the Simaudio. My one and only real requirement is my DAC I’m using single ended into another piece of gear. I have to have balanced in on any headphone amp I’m looking at as that is what is available. I’d say that’s a good deal for headphones.

It looks two distinct models in this category. Amp only. I’ll start there.

Thanks again.

Jun 11, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #41,744 of 42,298

All excellent advice!

I will note that many WA2 owners have noted how much they enjoy Senn 800s with the amp. I’ve seen more mixed notes on the LCD-3 though.

Overall, though, there are a number of great amps starting around $ 500 pre-owned.

The one thing to consider is that tube amps can be more sensitive to vibration and RF interference- but I’ve never had issues with either, using my gear in a dedicated, albeit not vibration-proofed, cabinet.

Jun 11, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #41,745 of 42,298
I have zero experience with tubes. These amps are beautiful. What kind of maintenance required? Where to begin?

Do I try to match my DAC and phones up to an appropriate model?

Simaudio 280D streaming DAC
Senn 800
Audeze LCD-3
The amps are beautiful. In my opinion the 300B tubes are especially awesome.

Don't worry about matching what you have. Just get the best amp you can. Don't split your budget to get a tube set upgrade - that can always come later. Stick with basic tubes to start. Then when you make an upgrade in the rest of your system or the tubes the amp will always respond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back