Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 21, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #41,701 of 42,299
If you can get some different 6SN7 tubes to swap in I think you should try.

Noise, even if apparently "not audible when music is playing" nevertheless has a very bad effect on sound quality. Your amp should be totally silent when no music is playing.
Oh, man! I swapped in some Sylvania JAN and it's dead silent now on high all the way to 1 o' clock! These Ken-Rads I had in there are apparently noisy. Should have thought of that before I posted here. Thank you so much!!

Apr 21, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #41,702 of 42,299
I was just curious if it's ok to run the 300Ω phones on low and if I'm missing anything.
In theory you would be missing some mid bass. The high impedance output should give you a fuller sound.

Apr 21, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #41,703 of 42,299
In theory you would be missing some mid bass. The high impedance output should give you a fuller sound.
I realize this now that I'm running them on high, thank you. The ZMF Atrium works really well with this amp, btw. Need to look for some different pairs of 6SN7 to try now...

Apr 21, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #41,704 of 42,299
I realize this now that I'm running them on high, thank you. The ZMF Atrium works really well with this amp, btw. Need to look for some different pairs of 6SN7 to try now...
You could look out for some Mullard CV181 that I got from Audio Antiquary in Bologna, Italy.

Before them I was running the Psvane CV181T mk II. Those were good, very quiet, low microphonics, but the sound was competent rather than fully engaging.

With the Mullards (made in Blackburn, UK '68) the sound came alive, with much better bass extension, and unheard fine details. Incredible fine details that could still be heard despite the music playing loudly.

They are quite microphonic so you will need to protect them well from vibration.

Until I used them I wasn't really understanding why tube people tear their hair out over vibration isolation. Now I know why! 😀 But the sound is totally worth it.

They cost an arm and a leg but they come in perfectly matched pairs - matched not just in gain but other crucial parameters too.

I have read (but I can't remember where) that with 6SN7/300B amps you are listening to the 6SN7 as much as the 300B. People throw serious money at the 300B, but this experience shows that you must not forget those little driver tubes! 😀

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #41,705 of 42,299
I found a very interesting thing is if we give 2 different power cables to dual mono.

Then we will get a hybrid sound combine both sound signatures from both cables.

The wireworld silver has a linear kind of sound shape with a clean and transparent treble.

The Tara labs has a rich vocal and tight bass with more kind surrounded smooth feeling.

Once you give them one for each, you get a very natural sound which has both of sound signatures and you won't feel any unbalanced.

The images are normal and vocal are right in front of you.

Have a try if you own a pair of wa5 or wa234.:L3000:

1650568722963.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #41,706 of 42,299
Oh, man! I swapped in some Sylvania JAN and it's dead silent now on high all the way to 1 o' clock! These Ken-Rads I had in there are apparently noisy. Should have thought of that before I posted here. Thank you so much!!
Don't ever hold back from posting. We are here to help each other. Plus the fact that I was able to help you has given me a beautiful warm feeling! 🤗

Apr 21, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #41,707 of 42,299
You could look out for some Mullard CV181 that I got from Audio Antiquary in Bologna, Italy.

Before them I was running the Psvane CV181T mk II. Those were good, very quiet, low microphonics, but the sound was competent rather than fully engaging.

With the Mullards (made in Blackburn, UK '68) the sound came alive, with much better bass extension, and unheard fine details. Incredible fine details that could still be heard despite the music playing loudly.

They are quite microphonic so you will need to protect them well from vibration.

Until I used them I wasn't really understanding why tube people tear their hair out over vibration isolation. Now I know why! 😀 But the sound is totally worth it.

They cost an arm and a leg but they come in perfectly matched pairs - matched not just in gain but other crucial parameters too.

I have read (but I can't remember where) that with 6SN7/300B amps you are listening to the 6SN7 as much as the 300B. People throw serious money at the 300B, but this experience shows that you must not forget those little driver tubes! 😀
I had a couple of Psvanes including the CV181T in my Lyr3. My impressions there were the same as yours on the WA5. I have about 20 pairs of 6SN7s I bought from a couple of guys here, but I only have 2-3 that I like now. I was going to try Ken-Rad VT231 black glass if I find them in a fair price and red base RCA 5692 (again for a fair price). I'll add the Mullard CV181 to the list.

And yes, I was one of those people that didn't realize the drivers made such a big difference. I don't roll the 300B or the rectifiers because of the cost, but didn't care about the 6SN7s much either. Now I do :) I also have some Sophia Royal Princess tubes that came with the amp that I haven't really listened to. I may try those on there to see what I get as well.

Apr 21, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #41,708 of 42,299
I had a couple of Psvanes including the CV181T in my Lyr3. My impressions there were the same as yours on the WA5. I have about 20 pairs of 6SN7s I bought from a couple of guys here, but I only have 2-3 that I like now. I was going to try Ken-Rad VT231 black glass if I find them in a fair price and red base RCA 5692 (again for a fair price). I'll add the Mullard CV181 to the list.

And yes, I was one of those people that didn't realize the drivers made such a big difference. I don't roll the 300B or the rectifiers because of the cost, but didn't care about the 6SN7s much either. Now I do :) I also have some Sophia Royal Princess tubes that came with the amp that I haven't really listened to. I may try those on there to see what I get as well.
You can do much better than the Sophias. People talk about EML but I don't know how available they are. Takatsuki really cost an arm and a leg and WE originals are just mad. I run the Kron 300B and 300B XLS tubes and I love them. Quite apart from the sound they have an awesome build quality and are visually beautiful.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #41,709 of 42,299
No more nice Woo. WA3 is going ‘musikill’…
F8DEF053-8448-46BD-8ECB-FF215969E83D.jpeg
Tung Sol 5998 / Brimar CV455 KB/FB (Footscray)…..😈🎺🎷🎹🥁…..

Apr 24, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #41,713 of 42,299
How do you like your DNA Sonett II in comparison to your Wa-22?
Oh, you are asking me a hard question. I been trying to figure them out to see which one is better, sound wise they are almost the same. WA22 has a tiny better in details and clarity but the Sonett 2 has sweet organic vocals.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #41,714 of 42,299
I had a Sonett years ago long before I owned any Woo amp. While mine was a Sonnet I I guess you would call it, I really enjoyed it and as you said, it has a sweetness to it. I've owned a few Woo Audio amps and they can really sound much different depending on the tubes you're using. I never did much tube rolling with the DNA so I don't really know if I maximized its' capabilities while I owned it. You have a very nice variety of amps and I'm sure each one offers something that the others don't.

Apr 25, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #41,715 of 42,299
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back