Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 7, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #39,466 of 42,298
Sheesh, that price is a lot higher than I thought it would be. I can understand the price increase (from what they had estimated previously) IF it comes stock with those KR Audio & Takatsuki tubes as they cost a pretty penny.

My WA5-LE has never looked better.  If the WA33 price includes the KR's and Tak's that would go a long way to explaining the high price. The product description specifically omitted reference to the aforementioned tubes.  I have more than 80% of the cost of my WA5 in tubes so I can see how you can push the sticker into shock territory. Looking at Woo's line up, the price of the WA33 splits the current price of the flagship WA234 at $16,000.

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #39,467 of 42,298
Was not so long ago the WA-22SE was going for around $6K? What changed besides the model number and the price?

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #39,468 of 42,298
Yea I'm wondering what changed as well. It will probably be Oct before I get a chance to hear it. I assume they think they nailed it if they're charging $8K for it. I'd like to hear them talk about it some more, explain the internals, components, a little bit about the design philosophy and the whys and what-fors...

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #39,470 of 42,298
Definitely interested in hearing impressions with the LCD4...but wow, 8k is a lot...more than I thought and more than I could swing for now. Maybe in the future...

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #39,471 of 42,298
Guys,
My custom built WA5-LE v1 is officially up for sale at the forum and Audiogon.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 8, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #39,472 of 42,298
Definitely interested in hearing impressions with the LCD4...but wow, 8k is a lot...more than I thought and more than I could swing for now. Maybe in the future...

Ok quick and dirty impressions with LCD-4s and WA33 here at CanJam. Best treble I've ever heard out of them. Just silky, extended, and pretty much perfect like a $100k+ loudspeaker sounds. Mids were extremely detailed and textured but not as liquid and intoxicatingly tubey like on my WA22..more reference sounding. Bass was punchy and more of a flat "audiophile tune" than the slam I get out of my WA22. Soundstage was where it took a big step. Very wide with laser accurate imaging on the Diana Krall live album I was listening to. Overall it's amazingly clean and accurate but not a whole lot of euphonic tube warmth. It will ship with regular RCA 2A3 drivers, Sovtek 6C45 drivers, and a Psvane 5U4G or equivalent. Sorry guys no holy grail tubes included. Ok back to the CanJam madness I go! Here's a few pics!

Apr 8, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #39,473 of 42,298
Ok quick and dirty impressions with LCD-4s and WA33 here at CanJam. Best treble I've ever heard out of them. Just silky, extended, and pretty much perfect like a $100k+ loudspeaker sounds. Mids were extremely detailed and textured but not as liquid and intoxicatingly tubey like on my WA22..more reference sounding. Bass was punchy and more of a flat "audiophile tune" than the slam I get out of my WA22. Soundstage was where it took a big step. Very wide with laser accurate imaging on the Diana Krall live album I was listening to. Overall it's amazingly clean and accurate but not a whole lot of euphonic tube warmth. It will ship with regular RCA 2A3 drivers, Sovtek 6C45 drivers, and a Psvane 5U4G or equivalent. Sorry guys no holy grail tubes included. Ok back to the CanJam madness I go! Here's a few pics!

Have you listened to the LCD-4s on the WA5?

Apr 8, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #39,474 of 42,298
Apr 8, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #39,475 of 42,298
Apr 8, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #39,476 of 42,298

I got a listen to the WA-33. Yep, better than my WA5-LE with upgraded caps and tubes. No question, in my opinion. For impressions and photos I posted in the CanJam impressions thread (with photos) here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/843727/canjam-socal-2017-impressions-thread#post_13410455

Thank you both for your impressions! Really enjoyed reading them. $8k is a terrible amount of money for me to be spending on audio though so I don't know if I will ever end up owning this beauty. I should stop reading impressions because it makes me keep thinking about it 
evil_smiley.gif
 Not good, not good at all.

Interesting about the tubes that will be included. You guys are hearing the WA33 with the souped up tube setup, I would hope the stock tubes do not completely pale in comparison. Having to shell out a couple more grand to get it sounding perfect would kind of suck after shelling out that much money.

By the way, I thought I noticed in a picture I had seen that one of the knobs was labelled HP/Pre (so a headphone mode and a preamp mode). Was I just seeing things or will WA33 have preamp functionality built in as well? 

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #39,479 of 42,298

By the way, I thought I noticed in a picture I had seen that one of the knobs was labelled HP/Pre (so a headphone mode and a preamp mode). Was I just seeing things or will WA33 have preamp functionality built in as well? 

Yes a pre and also I believe the rep said the amp stage is 9 amps to speakers vs 5 amps from the WA5.  Upgrades all around, though you lose the silkiness of the 300B sound.

It's a fantastic amp.

Can you report any Abyss v2 impressions???

I'm not the best one to ask, I wasn't a huge fan of the Abyss v1.  They are quality headphones, but I much prefer the HE-1000 and the Utopia to the Abyss. I know I may not in the majority on that one. I'm not a fan of the LCD-4, either. Great headphones, yes, I just prefer others, and I find both rather uncomfortable over time.

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #39,480 of 42,298

Yes a pre and also I believe the rep said the amp stage is 9 amps to speakers vs 5 amps from the WA5.  Upgrades all around, though you lose the silkiness of the 300B sound.

It's a fantastic amp.

Wait, you mean the WA33 will have speaker taps like the WA5? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back