Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 8, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #39,301 of 42,298
Some time ago a contributor to this thread was awaiting the arrival of a pair of the redesigned Elrog 300b and was going to report back.  I can't remember who it was or how long ago since I am old and retired.  I was considering them as back up or replacement for the SERP but no one seems to have any experience to share.  Anybody out there?

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #39,303 of 42,298
Even with the stock tubes it will probably be the best thing you ever heard.
I have a highly regarded $7000 solid state amp that I just sold. (Don't want to name names.) It can't hold a candle to the WA5.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #39,305 of 42,298
  Hi All,

I'm posting on this thread to get some advice.  I'm in a dilemma where I am looking at a new WA5-LE V2 that I can get from an authorized dealer for a good price.  My challenge is whether I should consider a WA22 also.  I'm running a Brooklyn DAC with a Violectric 281 all balanced.  Phones are HEX's.  I'm keeping the V281.  I can use a balanced  cascade from the Violectric to the Woo. Most of the reviews and comparisons were of the old V1 WA5-LE's. I know that the WA5-LE V2 is single ended even though it uses balanced in and out. Should I wait to find a WA22 or will the WA5-LE V2 be a superior experience.  Space is not really a concern.​

I currently own both Jerrik's upgraded WA22 and also an upgraded WA5 (not the LE version). I love them both for different reasons, but the WA5 is consistently the better sounding amp, with every headphone I've thrown at it. It just does "more" - more dynamic, more extended bass, more intimacy. And that is with relatively cheap tube components (using the Sophia Princess and mildly upgraded 300b's.) It makes the Hd650's sound amazing, and lights up the LCD3's in a way that is magic.

The WA22 has its own treasures. I think it is a magical match for the HD650's when used with a balanced Headphone cable and a balanced source. And it clearly sounds better with a balanced digital source, plus tube rolling won't break the bank the way a WA5 can. Plus, for the price of a WA5 you can likely pack both the WA22 and a set of great phones like the LCD3.

However, the WA22 is more finicky with both tubes and headphones - while the HD650's pairing is magic, the LCD3s sound just good but not spectacular the way they sound on the WA5. And it took a few different tube pairings to find something that was just right. The stock WA22 tubes really do need to be upgraded to get the best out of the amp.

If cost is not a consideration and neither is space, jump on the WA5 LE. It is an amp to jump off the hi fi merry go round, and it will sound brilliant with any headphone you throw at it. I am not at all sorry I paid the extra $$ for it (2x what I paid for the WA22), plus it powers some small speakers quite well. If you can, get the upgraded version with the better caps and resistors, before spending money on the tube upgrades. I've heard a non-upgraded version and did notice that the upgraded internals added more nuance and detail.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #39,306 of 42,298
I own the WA5. I've heard the WA22 a couple times. I would pick the WA5-LE, hopefully it has upgraded parts. I also have a V281. I didn't know I was going to spend so much on tubes or that there was that much difference when I got the WA5 (LOL). You can also take it long term and look at over a year or two you will get a pair of tubes here or there. I'm still running EML 300B and they're great. I'm also happy with Brimar for cheap rectifier tubes. I prefer the 6F8G type tubes over 6SN7 at this point, maybe even the cheap RCA and Raytheons, but definitely National Union 6C8G and TungSol Round Plate 6F8G.

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #39,308 of 42,298
  I own the WA5. I've heard the WA22 a couple times. I would pick the WA5-LE, hopefully it has upgraded parts. I also have a V281. I didn't know I was going to spend so much on tubes or that there was that much difference when I got the WA5 (LOL). You can also take it long term and look at over a year or two you will get a pair of tubes here or there. I'm still running EML 300B and they're great. I'm also happy with Brimar for cheap rectifier tubes. I prefer the 6F8G type tubes over 6SN7 at this point, maybe even the cheap RCA and Raytheons, but definitely National Union 6C8G and TungSol Round Plate 6F8G.

My understanding is that the Tung Sol 6F8G is internally the same as the Tung Sol 6SN7GT. Of course it has the cool coke bottle shape and it needs an adapter. I wonder how different it sounds if internally identical. I think it might not fit between the Takatsuki 300B. I tried the ECC31 and had about 1/16" clearance between tubes.

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #39,309 of 42,298

My understanding is that the Tung Sol 6F8G is internally the same as the Tung Sol 6SN7GT. Of course it has the cool coke bottle shape and it needs an adapter. I wonder how different it sounds if internally identical. I think it might not fit between the Takatsuki 300B. I tried the ECC31 and had about 1/16" clearance between tubes.

Yea supposedly they're the same or very close. The 6SN7 TSRPs have always cost more than I've been willing to pay at $400+ USD a pair range since I've been looking. The 6F8G are cheaper, at least most of the time if you can find them available for sale. I never considered if they would fit with the Taks. I have approx 1/8" of clearance with my EML 300B. I tried a few 6SN7s and there were some I didn't like that much, some were broken. I think I still have a cheap pair of RCAs but I got rid of most of my 6SN7s. I ended up with better success going the 6C/ and 6F/8G route. I also tried ECC35 and those are pretty good.

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #39,310 of 42,298
  Hi All,

I'm posting on this thread to get some advice.  I'm in a dilemma where I am looking at a new WA5-LE V2 that I can get from an authorized dealer for a good price.  My challenge is whether I should consider a WA22 also.  I'm running a Brooklyn DAC with a Violectric 281 all balanced.  Phones are HEX's.  I'm keeping the V281.  I can use a balanced  cascade from the Violectric to the Woo. Most of the reviews and comparisons were of the old V1 WA5-LE's. I know that the WA5-LE V2 is single ended even though it uses balanced in and out. Should I wait to find a WA22 or will the WA5-LE V2 be a superior experience.  Space is not really a concern.  

A well designed amp with the best 6SN7 compatible drivers and 6080/6AS7/5998 compatible output tubes will NOT come close to the sound quality of a well designed 300B amp with entry level driver and output tubes: 300B (WA5-LE V2)  all-the-way!

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #39,312 of 42,298
The WA7 is an outstanding amp/DAC combo. Got to love it. Not in the same league as the WA5 but is one of the best in its class.

On my budget it was the perfect choice. I wanted to keep it all under 3k, I got the tube supply and a used pair of HD800s. I have been spending more time than I care to admit going through all my old music with a silly grin on my face. I can only imagine, what the flagship stuff is like. I have a couple of pairs of HD600s for ten years or so and an old Wheatfield HA-1 the upgrade was well worth the couple days of silent treatment I got from the wife. :p Truth be told it took a pearl necklace to get me out of the doghouse. lmao

There was mention of matching earrings and bracelet for a trip top CanJam, I've never been and that is on the bucket list, but don't think I can swing to Singapore....

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #39,315 of 42,298
I prefer a wee bit warm over neutral and more dynamic than flat. I listen to stuff like Steely Dan and jazz ,jazz fusion as opposed to symphonies. Budget for a DAC is around 2k and would like something in the 24/352 range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back