Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 20, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #38,416 of 42,298
If the price was reasonable I would look at the WA22SE. $5k+ plus tubes isn't reasonable.

I heard this at the SF meet and regarding SQ it's every inch an equal to the WA5. Since Woo sells every WA5 they can make as fast as they can make them, the price is by definition reasonable for the market. The question is whether the WA22SE will justify the same price as the WA5 in regards to non-SQ features... since the features aren't finalized yet, judgment cannot be passed. However there is a large contingent of people out there who are hardcore believers in a full balanced stack... I'm not one of them, but this would be one of their TOTL options.

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #38,418 of 42,298
  I just got a quote for TA-300B from amtrans.co.jp and it stated that I will need to pay import duties.
Did any one know much much will that be for USA and how to pay it?

It depends on where you live and how much you paid for the tubes with shipping and insurance.  Here is a website that will give you an idea of how much it will cost.  I'm not sure how accurate it is.

http://www.dutycalculator.com

Jul 21, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #38,421 of 42,298
ECC32 + GZ34 or WE274 is a wonderful combo. I was running the ECC32 + GZ34 combo last night. The only "problem" with the metal base GZ34 is they all seem to test as new, even though some have obviously been abused!

Jul 21, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #38,422 of 42,298
  ECC32 + GZ34 or WE274 is a wonderful combo. I was running the ECC32 + GZ34 combo last night. The only "problem" with the metal base GZ34 is they all seem to test as new, even though some have obviously been abused!

Yeah I bought a pair recently to save my we274... but had to go through ebay - matched singles. These last forever that's the good news. But not sure of the we 274 which cost a bit more so saving them a little. 50 hours of burn in they sound great. The gz34 are also burning in well - a transparent midrange but warm works well in the wa5le. I thought it sounded much nicer in the wa22 but I'm in the minority there. I also recommend the 596 tube.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #38,423 of 42,298
Hi Jack,

I just received the Sophia Electric 274 b/n Mesh Plate tubes from you....right out of the box, amazing! Much better in every aspect of the WA5....coherency, clarity, bass, mid- range, treble. Clarity, and coherency are standouts right out of the box...look forward to hearing the difference as they break in. I did not think that the rectifier tubes would make that much of a difference.

Tubes are the first run of the amazing Elrog 300b (no problems so far), Sophia Electric 6sn7's, Sophia Electric 274b/n Mesh Plate. Schitt Gungnir Multibit, using Kirlin xlr to rca's to the Sony Xa7es to the WA5.

This combination of tubes in the WA5 is fantastic!

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #38,425 of 42,298

I heard this at the SF meet and regarding SQ it's every inch an equal to the WA5. Since Woo sells every WA5 they can make as fast as they can make them, the price is by definition reasonable for the market. The question is whether the WA22SE will justify the same price as the WA5 in regards to non-SQ features... since the features aren't finalized yet, judgment cannot be passed. However there is a large contingent of people out there who are hardcore believers in a full balanced stack... I'm not one of them, but this would be one of their TOTL options.

WA22-SE is still in development phase right now. We will have public prototype #2 at CanJam, RMAF in Oct. We're shooting for Spring/Summer 2017 launch. 

WA5-LE/WA5 are relatively big amps in size. We wanted to make a smaller, high power, fully-balanced amplifier for those who doesn't have the real estate for WA5-LE/WA5. WA22-SE is much more desk friendly for the home or office.

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #38,426 of 42,298
I just pull the trigger right now on the WA7. First timer, new tube greenie on deck. After I got the HE-X last week I thought I might get tube up I am hoping for the best. A little nervous to tell you the truth. I did get the upgrade tubes so here we go.

Jul 23, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #38,427 of 42,298
WA22-SE is still in development phase right now. We will have public prototype #2 at CanJam, RMAF in Oct. We're shooting for Spring/Summer 2017 launch. 

WA5-LE/WA5 are relatively big amps in size. We wanted to make a smaller, high power, fully-balanced amplifier for those who doesn't have the real estate for WA5-LE/WA5. WA22-SE is much more desk friendly for the home or office.

Small footprint is a great idea. One of the reasons I didn't go WA5. I didn't have the space and I don't run power hungry HP's.

I had a look at the new WA22-SE pic on Instagram. Looks like TSRP drivers and 6BL7 power tubes. I noticed the Sylvania symbol on the power tubes. So they are likely Sylvania X plate 6BL7's.

How do you get 10 watts power out of those tubes? What tricks have been done?

Jul 24, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #38,429 of 42,298
^
Nice looking amp. Strange looking tubes on the side front.

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #38,430 of 42,298
  I just pull the trigger right now on the WA7. First timer, new tube greenie on deck. After I got the HE-X last week I thought I might get tube up I am hoping for the best. A little nervous to tell you the truth. I did get the upgrade tubes so here we go.

Congrats @Smileyko.  The WA7 is an excellent AMP/DAC combo.  I really enjoy mine.  I would recommend buying upgraded tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back