Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 23, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #33,181 of 42,298
  If you really want to clean them use sandpaper works very good especially on rectifiers an octal tube  big pins  you wrap it around pin and go up and down and around the pin  i also tried with my Dremel and a rubber conical bit works good for tubes with smaller pins  as you can go all around them but bits dont last very long .                                                                                                                                                                   

Genius idea...! Seems obvious, now, but didn't even occur to me.

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #33,182 of 42,298
A lady's emery board works wonders too.

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #33,183 of 42,298

The first letter C stands for Contractor (to the military)

Quote:

This was originally a Navy system and earlier than that. They started with two letters and added more when the number of contractors grew.

I believe CL = Canadian General Electric (CGE) while CG = GE.

Thanks  both, interesting fine tuning.

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #33,184 of 42,298
Hi Wyan,

I have the first WA5 on the market, bought it back in June, 2007....fantastic headphone amp, AND speaker amp. Using it with the AKG K1000.  Have a new pair of 2 way speakers that sound incredible with the WA5. Grand Teton SE, with 94db sensitivity and 40-27,000 frq response.   www.wavetouchaudio.com  If anyone is looking for reasonable priced speakers with such natural, effortless etc etc etc sound, that are worth far more than their cost, these speakers have it. With the WA5, it's pure magic.

I have had zero performance issues in 8 years with the WA5!  In fact, all the stock tubes still work! 

I have tried the stock Shugang 300b,  EH 300b, JJ Tesla 300b, and now the Elrog 300b....while those others are ok. the Elrog is so far above them as far as clarity, detail, and soundstage are concerned...no question the Elrog is fantastic.  As we all know, tube rolling changes the sound quite a bit, so I would prob go for the upgraded parts first, as was mentioned....one can always tube roll. 

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #33,185 of 42,298
I'm more than happy to report that the Brimar GZ34(5Z4GY) in combination with the Sophia Electric 6SN7's in my Woo WA6 on first listening sounds fantastic while auditioning these two cd's that I copped today. A big thank you to joseph69 for sending me this tube to try. Initially I here good instrument separation and soundstage along with acoustic accuracy and presentation. It sounds a bit more neutral to my ears than the Mighty 596 rectifier tube that I was using, but very nice and pleasing.

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #33,186 of 42,298
I don't know if anyone has tried these in their Woo Amps, I just got a pair of 5u4g's from www.thetubestore.com for my WA5.  I asked to have them matched, which they did for $5 a tube.  I have read that  there is no need to match rectifier tubes. Is it necessary?  In any case, here is what's marked on both boxes:

A} 28v
B} 28v
A{ 403v
B{ 403v

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/5U4-Tube-Types/Winged-C-SED-5U4-G-Black-Plate

They sound great with the Elrog's and, believe it or not, with a  matched pair of EH 6sn7 Gold's. http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6SN7-Tube-Types/Electro-Harmonix-6SN7-Gold

The EH's seem to work well with the Elrog's and these SED's...I had  nos Raytheon 6sn7's with the Elrogs, but everything sounded a bit thin, and recessed. Interesting how all these tubes sound so different! 

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #33,187 of 42,298
GZ34(5Z4GY)

You'll have to revise that.
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #33,188 of 42,298
You'll have to revise that. :wink:
Oskari, you'll have to help me out then. I just probably misread the numbers on the side of the tube.

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #33,190 of 42,298
I have collected a lot of tubes for future use that I do not need right now.

16 sets of drive tubes, 17 rectifiers. Still working on power tubes. All tubes are boxed.

What is the best way to store and where?

Our city (Auckland, New Zealand) can get very humid in summer and cold in winter. I thought a cupboard with a electric cupboard heater will be the best spot. We have one for our linen. Is that best?

Mar 23, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #33,191 of 42,298
With that much invested what about a good tube caddy, That's what we called them in the 70's not sure today, that's what I'd have for so many tubes..

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #33,192 of 42,298
I have collected a lot of tubes for future use that I do not need right now.

16 sets of drive tubes, 17 rectifiers. Still working on power tubes. All tubes are boxed.

What is the best way to store and where?

Our city (Auckland, New Zealand) can get very humid in summer and cold in winter. I thought a cupboard with a electric cupboard heater will be the best spot. We have one for our linen. Is that best?

I would be curious to know this, as well. Two of the WE tubes I have were "stored" in a cardboard box, in a barn in Wisconsin, with no climate control whatsoever for decades; very cold temps in winter and hot in summer.

I have to think that tubes are pretty tough - they are, after all, vacuum sealed glass enclosures.

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #33,193 of 42,298
I would be curious to know this, as well. Two of the WE tubes I have were "stored" in a cardboard box, in a barn in Wisconsin, with no climate control whatsoever for decades; very cold temps in winter and hot in summer.

I have to think that tubes are pretty tough - they are, after all, vacuum sealed glass enclosures.

Yeah. No doubt they are tuff. It is more the pins I'm worried about. I have a lot of 6F8g type with the pin on top. A few have corrosion that I have carefully cleaned up and tested. I just want to keep them good for use latter on.

What is a tube caddy?

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #33,194 of 42,298
Here's a list of some I found  http://www.ebay.com/bhp/tube-caddy  keep them safe in one of these in a closet, or where ever you like..

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #33,195 of 42,298

Yeah. No doubt they are tuff. It is more the pins I'm worried about. I have a lot of 6F8g type with the pin on top. A few have corrosion that I have carefully cleaned up and tested. I just want to keep them good for use latter on.

What is a tube caddy?

That's where i put all my tubes in i have several cases  and you can also buy the interlocking cartons like in the pictures for the smaller tubes                                                                                                                                        

Users who are viewing this thread

Back