Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 14, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #32,177 of 42,298
Tony,

Mike's comments about the RCA drivers were interesting.
He has also noted that roll off of detail. Roll off of treble. That is what I love about them.
Just takes that last shave of harshness away.
Red Base RCA sounds dreamy. I will put on my to buy list.

I will shoot over that spare set of RCA Greyglass to you ASAP.

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #32,178 of 42,298
  Tony,

He has also noted that roll off of detail. Roll off of treble. That is what I love about them.

Cheers matey - appreciated.

I have pulled the trigger on the Simaudio 430HA amp/preamp. Should have it in a week or two. Once I have some burn in hours on it I will get you over for a listening session, then post some thoughts in the appropriate threads.

I am expecting great things from this amp. Simaudio make great gear and this beasty should pack the juice to drive the HE6 properly and also act as a great preamp with a goddam remote (2 things missing from my Auralic Taurus).

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #32,179 of 42,298
  Tony,

I have 3 pairs of NOS Red Base 5692…1958-CBS Hytron/1966-RCA/and another pair of RCA's, but can't remember the year…they are nice sounding tubes!!!

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #32,180 of 42,298
Great write-up Fririce0003!
I am glad I ordered the Elrog. I am planning to used them in my WA5-LE with a pair of TS BG/RP 6F8G. What I am going t be missing are the Mullard GZ34 metal base. Right now I am using a pair of Chemler GZ32. Looked arounf of a pair of the Mullard GZ34 metal base but could not find many around and the ones I saw were very expensive.

Now, The Takatsuki set sound very interesting but is about $2,900 for the 300B + 274B form Pricejapan. Not an easy pill to swallow....

There may be hope for the Takatsuki 274B/Elrog pairing yet. Simon tried it out again recently and said in terms of speed the Takatsuki have come a long way with burn in. Though he's reserving his comments until they finish burning in and stabalise. So look forward to that in a week or two, may be a more readily available rectifier solution... Well apart from the pricing on them.

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #32,181 of 42,298
E L R O G!  

They arrived today.  Loaded them up into the WA5LE, fired it up and tested some Stevie Ray on the HD800s.

Previous tubes:  EML 300B Mesh - EML 5U4G Mesh - (Sylvania 6SN7 / or TII 181s) paired w/ HD800.

Immediately I noted a huge jump in bass quantity over the EML.  I also noted less detail on the bottom.  I supposed adding this much bass quantity is by default going to muddy up the bass a little.  Tradeoffs.  It's a bit like that "loudness" button your buddy warned you to leave off, got somehow pressed by accident.  It's a cool sound that I'm actually going to have to adjust to a bit.  Assuming things will tighten up a bit as the tubes burn in.

I also noted a wider soundstage through the midrange to upper midrange.  It stood out to me right away-- so there's gotta be some sort of change there.  

The Elrogs don't drop any detail on the top end.  Very composed.  Impressive.

Overall, I'd call the sound more "full", more musical, composed.  It's just a bit more in every area (the joke here is "But these go to eleven!").  I want to swap back to the Sylvania 6SN7 later tonight.  The 181s have a bit of an edge on them.  I'm curious how the Elrogs behave with a slightly mellower power tube.  

Lots of goodness going on.  Want to be clear, the EML Mesh 300B is a damn good tube-- on first listen, the Elrogs are just a cut above.  Nothing to fear.

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #32,182 of 42,298
Nice! Great to see more folks enjoying the Elrog love. I hope to become one of them later in the year (finances permitting).

Just an idea - the EML rectifier might be limiting on the bass. I have the EML mesh 274B that I used in my WA6 and it did not do the bass any favours at all.

Replacing the EML rectifiers with the Brimars would be a very cheap upgrade. I can promise you a big improvement in bass (and other things) compared to the EML.

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #32,183 of 42,298
  I am just curious if there is anything to their claim and/or if anyone has experience with something else that will mitigate noise issues.

Well, brief noise update. I couldn't take it anymore and decided to solve this issue, one way or another. I (correctly) theorized that 2.4 GHz wireless was causing my TS 5998 noise issue, so I moved everything over to 5GHz. Turned out to be a lot of work, but problem solved... no more RFI noise from the tubes.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #32,184 of 42,298
  Nice! Great to see more folks enjoying the Elrog love. I hope to become one of them later in the year (finances permitting).

Just an idea - the EML rectifier might be limiting on the bass. I have the EML mesh 274B that I used in my WA6 and it did not do the bass any favours at all.

Replacing the EML rectifiers with the Brimars would be a very cheap upgrade. I can promise you a big improvement in bass (and other things) compared to the EML.

It might be time to bring back my Mighty 596s...

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #32,185 of 42,298
  E L R O G!  

Lots of goodness going on.  Want to be clear, the EML Mesh 300B is a damn good tube-- on first listen, the Elrogs are just a cut above.  Nothing to fear.

That's great news for me because I plan on buying the EML's soon enough. Keep me posted on how the Elrogs do over time because I might go that route myself eventually. 

By the way - beautiful pics. Can you take a few more of the Elrogs in the WA5 and then maybe the EML 300b's - thanks

Paddy

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #32,186 of 42,298
  E L R O G!  

They arrived today.  Loaded them up into the WA5LE, fired it up and tested some Stevie Ray on the HD800s.

Previous tubes:  EML 300B Mesh - EML 5U4G Mesh - (Sylvania 6SN7 / or TII 181s) paired w/ HD800.

Immediately I noted a huge jump in bass quantity over the EML.  I also noted less detail on the bottom.  I supposed adding this much bass quantity is by default going to muddy up the bass a little.  Tradeoffs.  It's a bit like that "loudness" button your buddy warned you to leave off, got somehow pressed by accident.  It's a cool sound that I'm actually going to have to adjust to a bit.  Assuming things will tighten up a bit as the tubes burn in.

I also noted a wider soundstage through the midrange to upper midrange.  It stood out to me right away-- so there's gotta be some sort of change there.  

Overall, I'd call the sound more "full", more musical, composed.  It's just a bit more in every area (the joke here is "But these go to eleven!").  I want to swap back to the Sylvania 6SN7 later tonight.  The 181s have a bit of an edge on them.  I'm curious how the Elrogs behave with a slightly mellower power tube.  

Great photo ! The Elrogs improve rapidly in the 1st 20 hours but they really hit their strides around the 80-100 hour mark. I did not have the same experience with the bass. Mine sound tight and controlled although I haven't compared them to the EML's yet.

Congrats ! nice rig

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #32,187 of 42,298

Tony,

I hear different stories about the EML Mesh 274B vs the Mesh 5UR4, supposed to quite different sounding, have you played with the 5UR4 Mesh ?

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #32,188 of 42,298
E L R O G!  

Realy nice picture I hope I will get my WA5 soon :D

How long you wait for the ELROG? I spoke with the Distributor here in Germany. There is still a waiting list and you have to wait arround 3 to 4 weeks.

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #32,189 of 42,298
Cheers matey - appreciated.

I have pulled the trigger on the Simaudio 430HA amp/preamp. Should have it in a week or two. Once I have some burn in hours on it I will get you over for a listening session, then post some thoughts in the appropriate threads.

I am expecting great things from this amp. Simaudio make great gear and this beasty should pack the juice to drive the HE6 properly and also act as a great preamp with a goddam remote (2 things missing from my Auralic Taurus).

I also like Simaudio (Moon) do you have Information about the Price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back