Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 17, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #31,831 of 42,298
Quick question, think one of the upgraded 6SN7 tubes are defective. Sound with the stock tubes works in both channels on my HE500s. But when I put in the upgraded tubes I purchased from Ebay the right channel went silent. Ran a few different tests to determine the source of the error. Tried a different amp with the HE500s and it was back to normal. Then I swapped the 2 6sn7 tubes and this time the opposite channel had no sound. Do I need to burn them in a little longer or is this completely abnormal?

The silent channel happened on both the K1K and 1/4 headphone output.

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #31,832 of 42,298
  Quick question, think one of the upgraded 6SN7 tubes are defective. Sound with the stock tubes works in both channels on my HE500s. But when I put in the upgraded tubes I purchased from Ebay the right channel went silent. Ran a few different tests to determine the source of the error. Tried a different amp with the HE500s and it was back to normal. Then I swapped the 2 6sn7 tubes and this time the opposite channel had no sound. Do I need to burn them in a little longer or is this completely abnormal?

Sounds like a dead tube. I have never had a totally dead tube come back to life via burn in.

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #31,833 of 42,298

The tube is no good.

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #31,834 of 42,298

Tilted the power supply section and gave it a gentle shake (not too sharp as it is powered on at the moment burning in the EATs). Nothing rattled or rolled.

If you are really concerned you can easily remove the faceplate and check yourself - if you are still concerned you can contact Jack Wu and see what he has to say.

I removed the faceplate and baseplate of my power section after a CV-181 blew on me to check for damage. It was easy - just take all the care you should (and disconnect the power, obviously).

Thanks I will check now and send Jack a picture before I plug the amp in

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #31,835 of 42,298
Dec 19, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #31,838 of 42,298
Dec 19, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #31,839 of 42,298
Hi guys. I got my WA5 today - plugged it in and nothing out of the right channel. Tried all my headphones same thing. 

Any suggestions? 

Might try my WA2 and see. I did have it on early (WA2) and it was fine. 

I'm thinking maybe its the DAC or a cable

Paddy

PS - I just noticed that the LED on the power supply blinks at start-up. ........ worried now. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #31,840 of 42,298
Ok turned up the volume a bit more and I can hear a horrible spluttery noise through the right channel. 

Thinking now that maybe its a faulty tube. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #31,841 of 42,298
Got it - working now. It must of been a tube on warm up. Was worried there. Thanks for all the help guys!!
wink_face.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #31,842 of 42,298
^

I was wondering if it was a tube. Was thinking about it. Then you got it going.

Glad you fixed it.

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #31,843 of 42,298
^

I was wondering if it was a tube. Was thinking about it. Then you got it going.

Glad you fixed it.

Its actually the input switch - wasn't switched to the high impedance slot correctly. Its a tiny bit loose, ill ask jack if its easy to tighten

By the way - I don't find the stock tubes harsh or lean in any way so far. It kicks the absolute ***** out of my WA2 maxed. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #31,844 of 42,298
Its actually the input switch - wasn't switched to the high impedance slot correctly. Its a tiny bit loose, ill ask jack if its easy to tighten

By the way - I don't find the stock tubes harsh or lean in any way so far. It kicks the absolute ***** out of my WA2 maxed. 

Glad you found the problem and it wasn't anything major. If you think the sounds good now, just wait till you get tube rolling, the WA5 is very responsive to it :wink:
Enjoy! :)

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #31,845 of 42,298
WA7 received the Positive Feedback "Writers' Choice" award 2014.  A shout out to @mikemercer for he great review. and for choosing our WA7 Fireflies.

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue76/awards2014.htm

Michael Mercer

This year has been a little overwhelming, in terms of the sheer amount of decent gear that's been offered. The personal audio space in-particular, has seen even more innovation that's resulted in some amazing products that don't cost an arm and a leg. This year I'm giving my PF Writers' Choice Awards to products that I've been using a lot lately—but haven't had a chance to review yet. Each product earning the award will be getting the full review treatment here at PF ASAP. I just got off the phone with Dr. David William Robinson: Letting him know about my choices and why. I loved his response—and I can't quote him precisely, but he basically said: "I've done the same Michael". "Hey, if I'm using a component often and I haven't had a chance to write about yet, I have to give it it's due". "I'm not going to wait a year to do that." Here here! All three of these products have been wow'ing me lately, and I've experienced many sunrise listening sessions (all-nighters) with each of them. Now, any product that's part of a system that keeps me so glued to the music that I can't go to sleep—well, I think that deserves an award, don't you? 

Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies tube headphone amp/DAC $999 (w/ stock tubes and solid-state power supply)

Admittedly, I'm a little late to the WA7 Fireflies party. The personal audio community has been showering this tube headphone amp/DAC with accolades continuously since its release in 2012. Even my own website, Audio360.org, gave the WA7 a glowing review (and it was the world's first six-way writer review). I wasn't a part of that review unfortunately, for the simple reason that I already had too many headphone amp/DACs to review at the time! Well, I'm regretting not being a part of that review now, because the WA7 is actually my personal favorite Woo Audio headphone amp (with their up-coming WA8 portable prototype closely behind). That statement isn't meant to take away from any of Jack Wu's wonderful amps. This is simply a matter of taste, and for me, the WA7 Fireflies is both sonically addictive and downright fun to listen to. It also plays very well with all sorts of headphones. That's an important characteristic in a headphone amp/DAC for me. I don't want to invest in a headphone amp and be tightly limited when it comes to my choice of cans! As I like all sorts of headphones: Planar-magnetic, dynamic-driver, on-ear, over-ear, as long as I can get lost in the music I don't discriminate when it comes to cans, and the Woo WA7 Fireflies doesn't seem to either. There are pairings I haven't loved—but everything can't be perfect!

The WA7 runs via a pair of 6C45 tubes. It comes stock with a pair of Sovteks. 

Now, as my friend and partner Warren Chi said first (in the Audio360 review)—echoing his belief here: I think if you're going to pull the trigger on the WA7 just get upgraded tubes out-of-the-gate. They offer a matched pair of Electro Harmonix 6C45s with gold-plated pins for a hundred bucks. Consider that a part of the price of the amp/DAC. The musical changes/enhancements that I've been hearing with the upgrade tubes far exceed the price. Everything gets a notch in gain and clarity. It's like the old cleaning-the-windshield analogy. This is the unfortunately perfect example of where that awful cliché fits! The components is also built like a tank, but aesthetically it could live comfortable at the Guggenheim Museum in New York City. The glass block hugging the tubes, especially when lit, is probably my favorite-looking headphone amp. Its fit and finish are also spectacular. The tube sockets have slightly raised outer-ridges to insure a proper fit with the glass block for example. The greatest aspect of the WA&, when I think about it, is that fortunately it sounds as sweet as it looks. 

It's a straight-up tube amp, with a 32-bit USB DAC as well. The Wa7 can act as a headphone amp/DAC combo, headphone amp, or USB-bus powered DAC (no AC required). While the DAC is 32-bit, I think it's the weakest link in the WA7. I'm being relative here—so I'm not stating the on-board DAC is crap, merely that you can greatly enhance the WA7s performance with a better DAC. But, as an all-in-one, at this price, if you're in the market for this kinda product just do it. You'll have nice upgrade paths too, which is nice, as you can personalize the system. Woo Audio offers a tube power-supply for the WA7 that transforms the unit into something else entirely (to be covered soon). And, for example, just putting iFi Audio's Micro iDSD DAC in front of the WA7 produced one of the most pleasurable listening sessions I had all year! So, you have a killer component to start with, and you can move forward with it as a base as well. I love all the little things...

I own a couple of very high-priced reference-level headphone amplifiers, solid-state and vacuum tube—and the WA7 can hang with them sometimes, musically. I was listening to "Baro", the introductory track to Recondite's new 
Iffy
 album (reviewed 
HERE
 at PF) and the track begins with these hovering synths, sitting in the lower and midrange frequencies, while these seeming sparks and other sounds move about the soundstage with such transient snap it's delightful ear-candy. Once the kick-drum drops, I get hooked if the systems up to the task. The WA7, along with my trusty Audeze LCD-XCs (closed-backs) mesmerized me with its reproduction of the entire Recondite album. I've listened to that album on that combo so many times now it's ridiculous. The WA7 is also capable of capturing subtlety and nuance. I loved listening to Damien Rice's "9 Crimes" off 
. It's a heart-wrenching piano and strings-driven ballad with Rice and Lisa Hannigan backing him up. Their voices do this morose dance through a wonderfully sparse sound-space, except for the piano, strings, and minmal instrumentation. It's dark, without being intentionally so. Again, a systems gotta be revealing to reproduce this song in a way that moves me, as I've seen him live. The WA7 pulled it off with ease, and I've heard how much better it is with the tube power-supply! More coverage on this beauty, sonically and physically, ASAP. Most highly-recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back