Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 11, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #31,486 of 42,298
My DXe does not play nice. Perhaps I have a dud unit - really don't care anymore - fed up with trying to get the stupid thing to work properly so am moving on to PC based music server that ticks all the boxes for me (exact mode, supports all the media file types I use, can adjust the buffer settings via the vega windows driver, user selected software and upgrades).

Can certainly see how that would be frustrating after spending that amount of cash. If you're located near me I might be able to bring down my vega and cables to try it out with your DXe or try my DS with your vega.

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #31,487 of 42,298
I finally just picked up a pair of EML 300b's, Frank I digs them, and a pair of RCA 5U4G's for my WA5!  Finally upgrading my Shuguang 300b-98's.  Man, this hobby is expensive.  I didn't tell my wife how much I spent on the tubes she would be mad! Loved Dubstep Girl's rectifier shootout. Didn't go for the EML 300b BLX, as I don't use my WA5 for a speaker amp, and the Meshies are $810!  Can't decide to get the HE-6 or the LCD 2/3.  I have the Shuguang 181-Z's and I'm not sure they are much better then the GE 6SN7's that came with the unit, more detail, but less bass.  

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #31,488 of 42,298

I'm thinkin' you're anything but "regular guy".
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #31,489 of 42,298
Oh, I understand. Your merely a simple lover of music who can't understand the primary basics of computer audio. lol. When he stated early in his article that it was his contention that JRiver was the best music playing software, and at the end that his company made Windows based computers, I thought I kinda saw where he was comin from.

Oh, I understand. Your merely a simple lover of music who can't understand the primary basics of computer audio. lol. When he stated early in his article that it was his contention that JRiver was the best music playing software, and at the end that his company made Windows based computers, I thought I kinda saw where he was comin from.

Not sure how to take that !

I was wondering if it was possible to get the media files onto his windows based computer by way of the Mac system, as my RAID drive has a thunderbolt connection. So its about if its possible to integrate the 2.

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #31,490 of 42,298
Can certainly see how that would be frustrating after spending that amount of cash. If you're located near me I might be able to bring down my vega and cables to try it out with your DXe or try my DS with your vega.

Bit of a drive and a swim to Auckland from Melbourne
wink_face.gif
 but thanks for the offer - appreciated.

Melbourne is my home town, but I ended up in the land of sheep and funny accents 10+ years ago.

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #31,491 of 42,298
Hey Tony,

Whats your preference with 6SN7 or CV181's do you prefer the Treasures over the Psvanes ?

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #31,492 of 42,298

Bit of a drive and a swim to Auckland from Melbourne
wink_face.gif
 but thanks for the offer - appreciated.

Melbourne is my home town, but I ended up in the land of sheep and funny accents 10+ years ago.

And we are glad to have ya.
gs1000.gif

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #31,493 of 42,298
Bit of a drive and a swim to Auckland from Melbourne :wink_face:  but thanks for the offer - appreciated.

Hahaha yeah might be a bit of a hike, hmm surprised he couldn't sort the issue out with you. Heard that he's based in NZ as well so I'd imagine it would've been relatively simple to get him to come out and see himself if the unit was faulty.
If I get the chance to drop by A2A before I go overseas to Japan if they have the demo DXe then I'll try it out with the vega and report in. Always gotta help out fellow head fiers :)

Nov 11, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #31,494 of 42,298
Not sure how to take that !

I was wondering if it was possible to get the media files onto his windows based computer by way of the Mac system, as my RAID drive has a thunderbolt connection. So its about if its possible to integrate the 2.
I'm sorry if my response to your post was a bit flippant. It was a very poor attempt at humour, which often gets me in over my head. That was actually a very practical question to ask. I've got a lot of files on my old Windows XP Pro home Dell tower and it would be nice to get them to my MBP.

Nov 11, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #31,495 of 42,298
  Hey Tony,

Whats your preference with 6SN7 or CV181's do you prefer the Treasures over the Psvanes ?

I'm finding a lot to like with both the Psvane T2s and the Shuggie BTs. Also doing some comparison work with the Sophia / TJ 6SN7s.

I'm noticing some residual harshness or 'crunch' with the T2s - not sure if it is something that will go away with more hours or not. Apart from that, and having one blow on me, they are great tubes. Extension and detail are excellent.

I'll probably write up a more detailed review comparing the Sophia+TJ / Psvane T2s / Shuggie BT against each other and a set of Sylvanias (which just about everyone can relate to). A few weeks away from that, as these tubes can take a lot of burn in and I want to give them every chance to settle down.

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #31,496 of 42,298

I'm finding a lot to like with both the Psvane T2s and the Shuggie BTs. Also doing some comparison work with the Sophia / TJ 6SN7s.

I'm noticing some residual harshness or 'crunch' with the T2s - not sure if it is something that will go away with more hours or not. Apart from that, and having one blow on me, they are great tubes. Extension and detail are excellent.

I'll probably write up a more detailed review comparing the Sophia+TJ / Psvane T2s / Shuggie BT against each other and a set of Sylvanias (which just about everyone can relate to). A few weeks away from that, as these tubes can take a lot of burn in and I want to give them every chance to settle down.

Great thanks Tony, I look forward to reading that. Apparently the Treasures and the Psvanes do seem to take a long time to break in.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #31,497 of 42,298
Just for fun I'm trying to build some mini tube collections that let me go as retro as possible. For example, I'll soon have sets of 5R4s and 6SN7s/6F8Gs from the middle of WWII, early 40s. (Unfortunately I'll just have to pretend I have NOS WE300Bs from then.)

1. I looked over the list of driver tubes compatible with my other amp, the 6SE, but it appears none of those appeared until the late 50s at the earliest. Bummer.
2. Even more hardcore, I could go with tubes from the 1930s pre-WW2, but these are crazy tough to find. I know that 5U4Gs and 6F8Gs were made in the late 30s though, from evidence online. Wouldn't it be awesome to kit out a WA5 with 5U4Gs from 1938, 
6F8Gs from 1937, and WE300Bs from 1938, the first years those tubes were made?

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #31,498 of 42,298
  2. Even more hardcore, I could go with tubes from the 1930s pre-WW2, but these are crazy tough to find. I know that 5U4Gs and 6F8Gs were made in the late 30s though, from evidence online. Wouldn't it be awesome to kit out a WA5 with 5U4Gs from 1938, 
6F8Gs from 1937, and WE300Bs from 1938, the first years those tubes were made?

My brain exploded just thinking about what a matched pair of 1938 WE300Bs would cost, if you could find them
blink.gif

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #31,499 of 42,298

Great thanks Tony, I look forward to reading that. Apparently the Treasures and the Psvanes do seem to take a long time to break in.

My rule of thumb is 300 hours for anything from Psvane. That might be overkill for some tubes, but for some like the WE replica series it is spot on.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #31,500 of 42,298
Just for fun I'm trying to build some mini tube collections that let me go as retro as possible. For example, I'll soon have sets of 5R4s and 6SN7s/6F8Gs from the middle of WWII, early 40s. (Unfortunately I'll just have to pretend I have NOS WE300Bs from then.)

1. I looked over the list of driver tubes compatible with my other amp, the 6SE, but it appears none of those appeared until the late 50s at the earliest. Bummer.
2. Even more hardcore, I could go with tubes from the 1930s pre-WW2, but these are crazy tough to find. I know that 5U4Gs and 6F8Gs were made in the late 30s though, from evidence online. Wouldn't it be awesome to kit out a WA5 with 5U4Gs from 1938, [COLOR=333333]6F8Gs from 1937, and WE300Bs from 1938, the first years those tubes were made?[/COLOR]

Yeah, that would be amazing.

I know what you mean about old tubes. I get goosebumps when I get a real old one that is in perfect condition.

Mine are not as old. Oldest is 1943 RCA Greyglass 6SN7's. My favourite tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back