Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 10, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #13,682 of 42,298

Quote:
What did you do to help guide him? Hold a couple of NOS black plate, black glass, round plate, vacuum tubes in front of him like they do when the ground crew holds those sticks in both hands to help guide the pilots and their 747s into their gates. (What are those sticks called anyway?)

And I suppose Silent One remained silent while trying to park? You guys crack me up.

Silent? We were chatting on our mobiles!  
dt880smile.png
  Maybe there's a lesson here about driving and mobile phone distractions...

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #13,685 of 42,298

Quote:
This is basically what I'm afraid of.  I suppose I could always sell off some 5998s if it turns out that way.  Although, I'm not planning on getting a stock unit so who knows how things will turn out in the end.

Hedge ___

From where I sit, you'll be just fine. Even though your WA22 will likely be Hot-rodded, there'll still be a demand for both the WA22 and the tubes in question if you need to make a move or adjustments.

And then there's the $avings you'll have...

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #13,687 of 42,298
I've yet to hear the much heralded JH13 Pro's. How do they sound in the WA22? Out of curiosity that is, I am aware of their niche.

It is crazy good, especially with GEC 6AS7G, BGRP, and EML 5U4G. I sometimes prefer it over HD800 except the lack of soundstage.

Sep 10, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #13,690 of 42,298

Quote:
Yup, around 10-12 hours now, it starts to open a bit. I don't cook like Mike style, I cook it when I listen to it. This way I know the changes it does during cooking.

I'm a 21 day minimum cat. I'll strive for the minimum hours but will always consider the time as a factor as well. And I too, monitor for changes while I attempt to enjoy the music. Because not all periods of burn-in is that bad. But when it is... the horror!  
eek.gif

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #13,691 of 42,298
Sep 11, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #13,692 of 42,298

Quote:
Hey everyone, packing my suitcase for my two week vacation with my wife to Hawaii.  Hoping my portable gear keeps me in fine sounds while I'm away from my Woo.  Am taking my computer and will be online from time to time.

Let me know your address in detail and I will..............................................
biggrin.gif

Have a nice vacation!
beerchug.gif

Sep 11, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #13,693 of 42,298
Aloha oe. When I was a kid living in Hawaii we used to call the radio the Coconut Wireless. :) Have fun in the sun!

Sep 11, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #13,694 of 42,298
I have not posted here before. I have a Woo 22 for over a year, done a fair bit of tube rolling, currently using Bendix 6080s, RCA 6SN7s, and a Sophia 274B rectifier. I have tried other combinations of NOS tubes. Tube rolling doesn't seem to make much difference.

In any case, my rebuilt Singlepower Extreme crushes the Woo as far as listening pleasure, even with low impedance headphones like the JH16s and the LCD-2s, where an OTL like the Extreme should typically fall short. The Extreme has a harmonic richness that makes the Woo 22 seem sterile and boring. (Not sure what amps others were listening to before buying the 22 that leads them to describe the Woo as euphonic.)

I e-mailed Kevin Gilmore a few times for help in repairing my Singlepower and he agreed that the Woo 22 is somewhat lacking and told me that he has asked Jack Wu multiple times to build an amp using the same schematic as the Extreme, obviously to no avail.

I agree that the Woo's build quality is great and would not recommend anyone buy a Singlepower amp.

So, what am I missing? What tubes really make the Woo 22 sound great?

Sep 11, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #13,695 of 42,298

Quote:
So, what am I missing? What tubes really make the Woo 22 sound great?

The WA22 is the only headphone amp that I've every tried and he Sennheiser HD 800s that I have are the only phones that I've ever tried. Having said that and FWIW, I don't think 6080 have enough power. I say try 5998 or 7236 for power tubes and Mullard ECC32s, Sylvania bad boys or TS 6SN7 black glass oval plates for drivers. EML 5U4G for rectifier.
P.S. it helps to feed the WA22 from a balanced source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back