Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 10, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #13,666 of 42,298

Quote:
Just getting seated for my late-night session. Now watching Donald Fagen Live at The Beacon Theater for A&E Television. He's playing "Chain Lightening" and he and the group are absolutely jammin'!!!

Would like to get a high resolution file of this (Flac or something). If given a clean enough file this could make for a great test track and demo.

Donald Fagen's New York Rock and Soul Review, March, 1991. A&E Television. Headliners for this vid:
Donald Fagen, vocal and piano; Jeff Young, piano; Michael McDonald, vocal and piano.
Musicians: Drew Zingg, guitar; John Hagen, tenor sax; Cornelius Bumpus, tenor sax; Dennis McDermott, drums; Lincoln Schleifer, bass; Chris Anderson, trumpet. 
Background vocals: Catherine Russel, Diane Sorel, and Ula Hedwig. Recorded live at the Beacon Theater. This is the Steely Dan tune he originally recorded back in the '70's.

http://youtu.be/K9LGO5ShIQo

That is a good clip.

I miss the Beacon Theater...

Sep 10, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #13,667 of 42,298

Quote:
Have you tried the RCA Grey Glass for female vocals? Liquid I tell you, lush and liquid... 
wink.gif

Quote:
The RCA 6SN7GT is a very good tube, even without the grey glass. I have a black plated pair in my tube stage and I like them as much as my TSRPBGs on that (non-Woo) rig.

Thanks buddies, will find some to try out.
beerchug.gif

Sep 10, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #13,668 of 42,298

Quote:
I must be the only person who doesn't care for the Ws...... though there are multiple versions of the W and I've only heard one of them.  Do yours have the extra support rod and the round bottom mica dannie?  They really do sound nice for female vocals admittedly, I was just far less impressed with how they fleshed out instrument timbres.

Oops, will take a closer look later tonight when I turn the amp off, having lovely music in the Sat evening.
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #13,672 of 42,298

Quote:
Me? The visually impaired?! I'll be the first to admit, AIN'T NUTHIN' WRONG WITH MY HEARING. 
biggrin.gif
  Now that you mention it, I'm in the middle of hiding that unsightly LED sporting face-plate deep into the rack. Guide me along to pop-the-top! Wasn't there a film out called "What's the worst that can happen?" 

Haven't peered inside my Woo yet either. (13 months late!) Ok WarriorAnt, I couldn't find any interior pix online. Let me slide this bad boy from under the rack and have a closer look at removal...

Wanna know how bad my vision is? mikemalter was guiding me to a parking spot in front of his home recently and I almost took him out (sorry, MM)

Silent One, no problemo.  It was very dark outside.  Anyway, if I'm going to get his, I'd rather it be a fellow woo mate.

Quote:
I should have recorded that event: The perils of Woomitosis and how not to park a car when seeking total Woo-dom in San Rafael.

Yea, late and dark and not a lot of street lights in our complex.  Actually, once Silent One got pointed in the right direction, he parked very well.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #13,673 of 42,298
Sometimes when it gets real hot, it's impossible to wear headphones.

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #13,674 of 42,298
Hey everyone, packing my suitcase for my two week vacation with my wife to Hawaii.  Hoping my portable gear keeps me in fine sounds while I'm away from my Woo.  Am taking my computer and will be online from time to time.

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #13,676 of 42,298

Quote:
I bought two pairs of those 2399s and while they are fine tubes I prefer the more neutral sound of the 7236 with both the LCD-2 and the HD800, the latter surprising me a bit more. It may have something to do with the WA22 being euphonic enough by design that I prefer more SS/neutral-sounding tubes with it.

This is basically what I'm afraid of.  I suppose I could always sell off some 5998s if it turns out that way.  Although, I'm not planning on getting a stock unit so who knows how things will turn out in the end.

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #13,677 of 42,298

Quote:
Silent One, no problemo.  It was very dark outside.  Anyway, if I'm going to get his, I'd rather it be a fellow woo mate.
Yea, late and dark and not a lot of street lights in our complex.  Actually, once Silent One got pointed in the right direction, he parked very well.

What did you do to help guide him? Hold a couple of NOS black plate, black glass, round plate, vacuum tubes in front of him like they do when the ground crew holds those sticks in both hands to help guide the pilots and their 747s into their gates. (What are those sticks called anyway?)

And I suppose Silent One remained silent while trying to park? You guys crack me up.

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #13,679 of 42,298

Quote:
Hey everyone, packing my suitcase for my two week vacation with my wife to Hawaii.  Hoping my portable gear keeps me in fine sounds while I'm away from my Woo.  Am taking my computer and will be online from time to time.

And remember, Mrs. Malter is known for getting great shots! Aloha...
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back