Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 7, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #11,491 of 42,298
I have thrown at least several dozen tubes in the trash.  If they are bad, they are bad.  Better not to accidentally get them confused with a good one.

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #11,492 of 42,298

Quote:
The only tube that actually died on me was my EML rectifier, and it was "recycled" to a new one with its warranty
bigsmile_face.gif

Just when I recovered from your experience, the reintroduction brings back fears renewed.  
ph34r.gif

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #11,493 of 42,298
WA 6 Special Edition ~

I'm cleaning things up for my anniversary party and received the following beauty tip from Woo Audio:

"You can use water based metal cleaner/polisher like the Twinkle or even just
a wet towel would do the job."
- Woo Audio

Going to get my tea bowl caressing hands on Twinkle's Stainless Steel Cleaner and Polish, 17-oz Aerosol Can. Hopefully, this will provide me with careful control and distribution. Making it easy to clean with a light elegant touch, in the same manner I would a Fabergé egg.

Cheers!

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #11,494 of 42,298

Quote:
I have thrown at least several dozen tubes in the trash.  If they are bad, they are bad.  Better not to accidentally get them confused with a good one.

No recycling concerns in Illinois? 
popcorn.gif
  From San Francisco to San Diego and Santa Monica in between, surely head-fier's out West would seek alternative means of disposal other than the 'can.' At least I would hope. However, I do see your point - getting tubes mixed up late into the night? The horror!  
eek.gif

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #11,495 of 42,298
We do have recycling, but I am not sure that vacuum tubes qualify for what we recycle here...maybe the ones without the bakelite bases would...

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #11,496 of 42,298
If they recycle CFLs that would probably be the way to go.

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #11,497 of 42,298
Recycling vacuum tubes as you would glass is not permissible in San Francisco because they may contain hazardous materials. Vacuum tubes contain harmful elements such as heavy metals in their filaments. Like most electronic waste, they require careful consideration. You should contact the Global Electronics Recycling Network. This group maintains a network of electronic recycling organizations in many countries. Use its website to locate an electronics recycling organization near your home; you can find out the drop-off location and the cost of disposing of your vacuum tubes.

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #11,498 of 42,298

Quote:
Recycling vacuum tubes as you would glass is not permissible in San Francisco because they may contain hazardous materials. Vacuum tubes contain harmful elements such as heavy metals in their filaments. Like most electronic waste, they require careful consideration. You should contact the Global Electronics Recycling Network. This group maintains a network of electronic recycling organizations in many countries. Use its website to locate an electronics recycling organization near your home; you can find out the drop-off location and the cost of disposing of your vacuum tubes.

Just send them to me, I'l make works of art out of them. thats way better than a landfill.

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #11,499 of 42,298

Quote:

As do fluorescent lamps, I wasn't speaking of recycling them as glass which is different.

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #11,501 of 42,298

Quote:
I now find it almost impossible to fully enjoy a CD played back in even a very high end transport as compared to the disc being ripped and sent via Pure Music Memory Play into the same DAC.

It is still very different than really good analog but exists on it's own plane that in several areas can be quite superior.

This is me, only the exact opposite.  I've struggled for years now over why a bit perfect ripped file on the PC doesn't sound the same as spinning the actual CD, because in my case the result always sounds worse.  This came up just recently again, after building my new PC.  The most bizarre part is that the sound card didn't change, I re-used it from the old system...... yet the sound quality is distinctly different than before with the exact same files, settings, and audio hardware.  The only thing that changed was going from an XP to a Win7 driver for that soundcard.  If the ones and zeros are the same ones on the disc, it should sound the same if no re-sampling is present (and there isn't since I am using ASIO), but it never does and I've never found a satisfying explanation why.  The PC playback always sounds more hard-edged and shouty, as though there is less dynamic headroom.

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #11,504 of 42,298

She got mad at me for spending too much money on frivolous vacuum tubes for my Woo Audio amps so I bought her a bouquet of flowers to bring peace and harmony to the household and to also beautify the living room and she got mad at me again. Go figure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back