Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 7, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #11,478 of 42,298

Quote:
has anybody ordered/used the 6EM7 and adapter to use with their 6SE? is it worth it?

yes, i've tried it on my 6se and they are worth trying. it's essentially a 6gf7a in an 8-pin octal base.
(the 6gf7a is 9-pin noval base) the output plate resistance is only 750 Ω, very low compared to
other compatible tubes for the 6se, and SQ is very nice. the grid voltage operates at a much lower
point than what the 6se is designed for but it's still within operating voltage, just not optimal. if you're
a diy person then changing it is not difficult, but not recommended if you plan to tube roll other
types. personally, i think it sounds fine even at the outer ranges of its operating voltages.
try to get box-plate construction instead of the more common flat-plate, as the former presents
a more balanced/coherent sound. i prefer the 6gf7a mainly because they are much cheaper to the 6em7.

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #11,479 of 42,298
I just snagged a pair of "rebranded" tung-sol 5U4G's, Dumont and Philco respectively. The pair was surprisingly cheap so I thought it was well worth the risk even if they weren't legitimate.

The seller states they both have the Tung-Sol EIA code of 322. Additionally, by comparing images I found the innards to be seemingly the same as the branded version.

Any tube experts out there have an opinion?

BTW, I finally snagged the MF M1DAC to play a role as a balanced source for my WA22. Up to this point I've been single-ended out of my old xonar essence stx. For all those (including Jack) that stated that the wa22 needs a balanced source - yes, yes it does. My headphones sing like never before.

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #11,480 of 42,298
Those do look like Tung-Sols, and 322 is indeed the TS code.  Nice find. 

Tung-Sol EIA date codes either went like this:
322 5904
where 322 is the manufacturer code (in this case Tungsol), 59 is the year (1959), and 04 is the week.
And also like this:
322 6104-1
322 is Tungsol, 6104 is 1961, 4th week, 1 is the shift code (1 would probably be the day shift)

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #11,482 of 42,298

Quote:
Try transferring DAT to PCM in a professional environment.  What a a pian in the...

I understand that it has the potential to drive someone to have the inclination to "spit on the ground."
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #11,483 of 42,298
Hi everyone! (first post - nervous!) I'm about to buy some cans and an amp for the first time (other than the Grados I use with an iPod). I like the looks of the Hifiman phones (perhaps the HE-5 or 5LE is most in my price range). And I LOVE the looks of the WA6, which I could also afford. Could anyone comment on the combination of a WA6 & HE-5 or WA6 & HE-5LE? (I've also thought about AKG 701 / 702s or Beyerdynamic 990 600ohms)

A little about me... I listen to a wide range of music that does not include classical. Mostly I'm going to put on Indy Rock / well-produced Pop / singer-songwritery stuff. (my favorite artists are John Vanderslice in the US and Quruli in Japan) In my listening room I've got Harbeth C-7 speakers, but with a 5-month old baby girl about to start crawling around, stand-mounted speakers will be effectively banished for a couple of years. Hence the desire to listen to cans!

I'm not much into tinkering, and I predict that I will make one purchase and probably never roll the tubes until they break. (but who knows, really)

So, what do y'all think about the WA6 & HE-5 or 5LE? I really appreciate your thoughts or suggestions for other directions.

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #11,484 of 42,298

Quote:
I just snagged a pair of "rebranded" tung-sol 5U4G's, Dumont and Philco respectively. The pair was surprisingly cheap so I thought it was well worth the risk even if they weren't legitimate.

The seller states they both have the Tung-Sol EIA code of 322. Additionally, by comparing images I found the innards to be seemingly the same as the branded version.

Tubes are beautiful just to look at.  what do people do with their tubes when they no longer work?   

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorAnt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Try transferring DAT to PCM in a professional environment.  What a a pian in the...

Originally Posted by Clayton SF /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I understand that it has the potential to drive someone to have the inclination to "spit on the ground."
biggrin.gif

Try shuttling a DAT in a time code transport under extreme pressure to make air.  Worst invention ever.

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #11,485 of 42,298

Quote:
Tubes are beautiful just to look at.  what do people do with their tubes when they no longer work?   

Try shuttling a DAT in a time code transport under extreme pressure to make air.  Worst invention ever.

When my tubes die, I recycle them.

Jul 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #11,486 of 42,298

Quote:
Hi everyone! (first post - nervous!) I'm about to buy some cans and an amp for the first time (other than the Grados I use with an iPod). I like the looks of the Hifiman phones (perhaps the HE-5 or 5LE is most in my price range). And I LOVE the looks of the WA6, which I could also afford. Could anyone comment on the combination of a WA6 & HE-5 or WA6 & HE-5LE? (I've also thought about AKG 701 / 702s or Beyerdynamic 990 600ohms)

A little about me... I listen to a wide range of music that does not include classical. Mostly I'm going to put on Indy Rock / well-produced Pop / singer-songwritery stuff. (my favorite artists are John Vanderslice in the US and Quruli in Japan) In my listening room I've got Harbeth C-7 speakers, but with a 5-month old baby girl about to start crawling around, stand-mounted speakers will be effectively banished for a couple of years. Hence the desire to listen to cans!

I'm not much into tinkering, and I predict that I will make one purchase and probably never roll the tubes until they break. (but who knows, really)

So, what do y'all think about the WA6 & HE-5 or 5LE? I really appreciate your thoughts or suggestions for other directions.

I suggest that you look at the HE-500, the other HiFiMAN cans aren't efficient enough for any of the Woo amps except the WA5/LE.

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #11,488 of 42,298

Quote:
You toss them away in the recycle bin?   You should save the beautiful ones and get a straight board of oak and mount them in a line as a shelf piece...
bigsmile_face.gif

The problem is they are all beautiful and so I would never get rid of them otherwise!

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #11,489 of 42,298
When tubes no longer work ~

I've so been so enamored by playback, I had not yet considered their deaths. Something to ponder this afternoon over tea & cookies...

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #11,490 of 42,298
The only tube that actually died on me was my EML rectifier, and it was "recycled" to a new one with its warranty
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back