Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 3, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #6,526 of 42,298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you only have the thin bottle RCA 6EW7 I recommend you try a pair of the fat bottle 6EW7.  They tend to sound more open than the thin bottle version.  I think maybe a Raytheon 6EW7 big bottle in the clear top might suit you too.  I thought it was bass shy, but it should have a bit more on the bottom end than the Sylvania does while staying airy at the top.  The Sylvanias are usually the best with treble so anything else is going to be a compromise in that region in exchange for better bass.  I never liked my Raytheon 6EW7 in the past, but the EML rectifier completely changed my opinion of it for the better.  Mine were made in Japan too so I may be hearing something different than the usual US made tubes too.  In either case try to find old vintages, early 60's or if possible late 50's.  The latter are really hard to come by unfortunately.  You'll know if you found an early RCA in this tube family because the big triode section will be black and shaped like a cross.  All the later verions from the 60's onward are flat and gray.

Thanks for the good information; SillySally also recommended RCA fat bottle 6EW7s; I haven't been able to find any yet.  I'll keep looking, and also for the Raytheon.  I'm guessing if I find these anywhere they will be a bit more expensive than my Sylvanias; One pair of the Sylvania 6EW7 big bottles came with my WA6SE originally, and I purchased an identical pair for $10.00.  Strange, but they are my favorite tubes so far, with the EML 5U4G.  That sound, with a little more bass impact, would be what I'm going for.

Any suggestions as to where to look for the RCA and Raytheon big bottle 6EW7s?

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #6,528 of 42,298

Quote:
Try to get a hold of GEC 6080 or 6AS7G, they are THE power tubes for WA22.

They don't have the gain of the 7236/5998 though, and that seems to be a priority for MuppetFace.

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #6,529 of 42,298

Quote:
Just wanted to post, that I have joined the woo family!  Just ordered a stock WA2 and super excited to get!

Have a great day all

tink97

Yes, we're all one big happy family. Pleasant exchanges exist to help you on your way to achieve sonic bliss and enhanced your knowledge of the Woo. And the demise of your wallet--or maybe not.
biggrin.gif
Congratulations and welcome!!!

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #6,530 of 42,298

Quote:
Does anyone know what version of Alps volume pots Woo uses in their amps?

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth upgrading to a stepped attenuator. I've heard that previous versions of the DACT attenuator had quite a bit of play in each "step". Is this still the case in the newer version that Woo uses or are the volume steps crisp in their feel?

Woo uses the lower end ALPS (20 i think) pot, however they did have the very high end Alps RK 50 as a upgrade. The only problem with the RK50 is it is very large and in my WA5LE Woo had to modify the Amp to fit the RK50 in.imo with a Amp like my WA5LE its the right way to go, because this amp is such a power house and I can really fine tune the volume and it doesn't over heat.

I do have a step attenuator in my WA6SE and for that amp its very nice, but I much prefer the Alps RK50.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #6,532 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks for the good information; SillySally also recommended RCA fat bottle 6EW7s; I haven't been able to find any yet.  I'll keep looking, and also for the Raytheon.  I'm guessing if I find these anywhere they will be a bit more expensive than my Sylvanias; One pair of the Sylvania 6EW7 big bottles came with my WA6SE originally, and I purchased an identical pair for $10.00.  Strange, but they are my favorite tubes so far, with the EML 5U4G.  That sound, with a little more bass impact, would be what I'm going for.

Any suggestions as to where to look for the RCA and Raytheon big bottle 6EW7s?

The prices are on the high side but TubeWorld stocks them from time to time.  He seems to be under the impression that Woo owners want the thin bottle 6EW7 because that is what is always listed there where as the fat bottles tend to be sold out.  I found my favorite 6FD7 fat bottle tube there though so it is worth keeping an eye out.  Otherwise check eBay once a week or so, sometimes things pop up but it is harder to find matched pairs there.

The easiest way is to use vacuumtubes.net but because they deal in such bulk the quality/vintage can be a crapshoot with cheap tubes like these.  They have the largest inventory though so that is probably the best bet.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #6,533 of 42,298

Quote:

It's also possible some of the brightness I'm hearing could be from the 840C, which is a little on the bright side of neutral for some people.

Any suggestions for tubes that might counter a bright source?

You could use a Hytron or JAN RCA 5692 brown base or red base in the 6SN7 sockets, and that might help - I found them to help tame Grados nicely in a Dark Voice 336i amp before.  My Sylvania VT-231 and Sylvania Bad Boy or RCA grey glass VT-231 were noticeably brighter.

Nov 4, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #6,534 of 42,298

Quote:

The prices are on the high side but TubeWorld stocks them from time to time.  He seems to be under the impression that Woo owners want the thin bottle 6EW7 because that is what is always listed there where as the fat bottles tend to be sold out.  I found my favorite 6FD7 fat bottle tube there though so it is worth keeping an eye out.  Otherwise check eBay once a week or so, sometimes things pop up but it is harder to find matched pairs there.

The easiest way is to use vacuumtubes.net but because they deal in such bulk the quality/vintage can be a crapshoot with cheap tubes like these.  They have the largest inventory though so that is probably the best bet.

When you deal with vacuumtubes.net, how do you find a tube by brand?  I looked through their price list and its all numbers.  Thanks.

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #6,536 of 42,298

Quote:
When you deal with vacuumtubes.net, how do you find a tube by brand?  I looked through their price list and its all numbers.  Thanks.

Email them.  They're pretty accommodating.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #6,538 of 42,298

Quote:

[size=13.1944px]Contacted Roy Rogalski (owner) - no search capability by brand on site; email & phone inquiries only.[/size]

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #6,539 of 42,298
That is vacuumtubes.com, which is different from vacuumtubes.net.  I have never bought from vacuumtubes.com - any good?

Nov 4, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #6,540 of 42,298

Quote:
That is vacuumtubes.com, which is different from vacuumtubes.net.  I have never bought from vacuumtubes.com - any good?

Good catch, just woke up late on the West coast. Now I'm focused! One transaction to date and found him helpful - the product satisfied. In this hobby one can benefit from more than a single source (or cartel). Will check out vacuumtubes.net to see what I think.

Contacted Roy Rogalski (co-owner) - no search capability by brand on site; email & phone inquiries only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back