Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 3, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #6,496 of 42,298
I just had an offer accepted and paid for a couple that fit my budget, an "excellent" used pair with 80% life for $250 shipped from (I think) a reputable seller, I hope I got the right ones and I hope I love them 
smile.gif

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?accstube&1293081227

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #6,497 of 42,298
Nov 3, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #6,499 of 42,298

Quote:
If were we looking at the same pair, then they went for $625!!! 

Yep, that was them.  I have seen them go for around $350 or so.  These guys that bid up that high were new accounts.  There will be more.  I can wait.

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #6,500 of 42,298
Nov 3, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #6,502 of 42,298
Audiogon is a better place to buy premium tubes than EBay.  You can score great prices on EBay for NOS tubes that are not so popular - it's a great place to get 6AS7G's, for example.  But for the rarer and pricier stuff - Audiogon is better.  You rarely get ultra-bargains, but you're also likely to see realistic prices.  And of course, most stuff is not on auction.

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #6,503 of 42,298

Quote:

Audiogon, yes of course.  Need to keep looking there.  Should have thought of them.

I just Googled the tube, and the Audiogon listing was among the first few results that came up. I didn't look there originally, and was actually undecided for 4-5 days before placing my offer. It was the price of the $600+ NOS pair that sold earlier today that got me off the fence lol. The seller ate around $15 in postage and PayPal fees on the offer but got their asking price. It looks like the listing lasted 10 days.

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #6,504 of 42,298
Hello fellow Woo enthusiasts!

My WA22 finally arrived, and I've been marveling at how solidly this behemoth is constructed. I've encountered an issue with one of my tubes, unfortunately. The problem is with one of the Sylvania 7236 NOS tubes I was sent. It's producing a very audible humming noise in whichever channel it's feeding. This is also causing the music to be skewed to the other channel.

When I replace the Sylvanias with the GEs, the humming is gone. However I much prefer the extra power of the Sylvanias. Is it possible the tube is bad or damaged from shipping? I've tried cleaning it to make sure the dust is gone, but it doesn't seem to be doing any good. Maybe I need to scrub the prongs with something abrasive?

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #6,506 of 42,298

Quote:
Sound definitely like a tube issue and I am sure Jack will take care of matter. Remember once tube issue has been resolved try your K1000 and give some feedback.

Jack's a great guy. He's sending me a replacement.

I did try the K1000 with the stock GE tubes instead of the Sylvania.... yuck. I know the bass light version lacks bass obviously, but it sounded like sheet metal. I'll try it again once I've let the amp run for another few hours, but I really think it's mostly the stock tubes not sounding very nice with it.

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #6,508 of 42,298

Quote:

Jack's a great guy. He's sending me a replacement.

I did try the K1000 with the stock GE tubes instead of the Sylvania.... yuck. I know the bass light version lacks bass obviously, but it sounded like sheet metal. I'll try it again once I've let the amp run for another few hours, but I really think it's mostly the stock tubes not sounding very nice with it.

Interesting.  I can't listen to the Sylvania's in my WA22 and prefer the RCA's over them.  However it could be that the dynamics of my headphone add to the mix.  I have a pair of HD800's and they seem to be sharper up top and with the Sylvania's in there seems to be an emphasis on the top end.  Even with the Sophia + RCA's in there, it was borderline for me.  Putting in an EML really tamed it.

I can see though with a pair of K1000's the Sylvania would be better and the RCS's not so much.

Congratulations on your WA22, it's a great amp, and Jack is the best.

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #6,509 of 42,298
Just to clarify, right now I'm using: EML 5U4G, Treasure CV181-Z, and GE 6080. 
Source: Cambridge 840C in balanced configuration.
Headphones: LCD-2, Ed. 8, Ed. 9, K1000, DX1000, W1000x, HD650, K240 Sextett MP

The sound right now is nice in some ways, but less than pleasing in others. The soundstage is wide open and instrument placement is spot on. Midrange is liquid and enjoyable. The bass however is a bit woolly on bass heavy 'phones, and the top end is too shrill on just about everything except the Sextett.

It's only been running for 3 hours, so I'm guessing burn in will improve these qualities?

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #6,510 of 42,298
Quote:
Just to clarify, right now I'm using: EML 5U4G, Treasure CV181-Z, and GE 6080. 
Source: Cambridge 840C in balanced configuration.
Headphones: LCD-2, Ed. 8, Ed. 9, K1000, DX1000, W1000x, HD650, K240 Sextett MP

The sound right now is nice in some ways, but less than pleasing in others. The soundstage is wide open and instrument placement is spot on. Midrange is liquid and enjoyable. The bass however is a bit woolly on bass heavy 'phones, and the top end is too shrill on just about everything except the Sextett.

It's only been running for 3 hours, so I'm guessing burn in will improve these qualities?

I've got almost the same configuration right now except I'm using the GEC 6080s.  I don't hear any of the negative things you mentioned.  There are gobs of detail and nothing sounds harsh at all.

As for the 7236s someone mentioned above... I have a pair of Tung-Sols and although they provide great sound with a lot of power, the GEC 6080s take off some of the sharpness and present an overall smoother and more enjoyable sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back