Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 9, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #5,284 of 42,298

Quote:

Take a look at this thread...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/379445/woo-audio-wa5-le-custom-build-for-sale-see-post-64

That guy spent all that money to have the ultimate WA5 built and he is running current production Electro-Harmonix tubes in it along side the EML tubes?  That almost makes me cry.

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #5,285 of 42,298
speaking of the electro-harmonix 6sn7's. If someone was having diffuculty isolating a pair of nos tubes, would you recommend the EHX tubes, shuguang treasure tubes, or another current-production brand?

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #5,286 of 42,298

Quote:

That guy spent all that money to have the ultimate WA5 built and he is running current production Electro-Harmonix tubes in it along side the EML tubes?  That almost makes me cry.

LOL, that was what I thought also, and why I went wanted the NOS WE 300B matched date pair and the NOS TSRP's matched date code. This combo in the customized WA5LE really does bring the WA5LE to its fullest potential.

That said I would not advise anybody to go to this extreme for two reasons.
1. The old real nos WE300's in a matched pair (same date code) are crazy priced.
2. You run a high risk of getting ripped off and the same goes with the TSRP's but to a lesser extent.

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #5,288 of 42,298

Quote:
speaking of the electro-harmonix 6sn7's. If someone was having diffuculty isolating a pair of nos tubes, would you recommend the EHX tubes, shuguang treasure tubes, or another current-production brand?

I tried current production Tung-Sol  6SN7's - Electro-Harmonix and the Treasures. The Treasures are my favourite (of all 6SN7 types) still but the Electro-Harmonix isn't a bad tube at all. The Tung-Sol's were not very good......

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #5,289 of 42,298

Quote:
Jac Music. They ship international, just bought a pair of EML 5U4G mesh plate from them.

Dear Dannie:

How long it usually take for Jac Music to response?
I got their Price offer and paid by Paypal yesterday morning(about 30hrs ago), but no reply at all.

On the other hand, finally decided and got this pair...

[size=medium]

Finally decided and got it...

[/size]

[size=medium]

[/size]

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #5,292 of 42,298
I think it's a combination of my ears getting accustomed to the sound along with the amp and tubes burning in, but my WA2 seems to be opening up MUCH more than I recall.  Most notably, the higher end details are a bit easier to detect.  I've been doing a lot of listening with my Tung Sol 7236 tubes and they seem to match up perfectly with just about any genre of music.  They don't do live recordings well though, as the sound stage seems a bit collapsed compared to my 5998/6AS7G tubes.  I'm hoping to get an an Eastsound CD-E5 shortly, so it'll be nice to add a proper CDP to the setup.

Also, for those thinking about purchasing one but are on the fence about getting the stock unit vs. an upgraded one, I'm very glad I went with the stock unit.  For the same amount of money as the Premium Parts upgrade, I've been able to acquire matched pairs of every single popular power and preamp tube available for this amp.  That's six pairs of power tubes and three pairs of preamp tubes
smile.gif
  Talk about options...

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #5,293 of 42,298

Quote:

The Treasures, or the new production Sophia Electric 6SN7's are pretty good.  I thought the EH 6SN7's were dreadful.  And finding NOS 6SN7's isn't really very hard. Let us know if you need any help.

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #5,294 of 42,298

Quote:
Dear Dannie:

How long it usually take for Jac Music to response?
I got their Price offer and paid by Paypal yesterday morning(about 30hrs ago), but no reply at all.

On the other hand, finally decided and got this pair...

They response very slow, I have same experience as you with no reply 3 days after paid and finally got shipping stauts in 5 days . Keep email Jac for the up-date.

A very nice pair of Tung Sol, congrats. You will never regret for what you paid. 

Quote:
NICE, I really to get a pair soon...

Go ahead, your WA22 worth a pair of tubes like these and they really sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back