Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 21, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #41,926 of 42,298
The WA2 is a fantastic piece of gear. I can't believe I went so long without an OTL :musical_note: :notes: :musical_note:

Rolling: RFT EZ81 (foil getter), GEC 6080s, Mullard CV4108/7308 (my personal favorites)

IMG_1747.jpeg

Dec 22, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #41,927 of 42,298
The WA2 is a fantastic piece of gear. I can't believe I went so long without an OTL :musical_note: :notes: :musical_note:

Rolling: RFT EZ81 (foil getter), GEC 6080s, Mullard CV4108/7308 (my personal favorites)

IMG_1747.jpeg
Nice,

How do you like the WL in combination with the WA2? Have a Soekris and thinking about upgrading to this DAC in future.

Dec 22, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #41,928 of 42,298
Nice,

How do you like the WL in combination with the WA2? Have a Soekris and thinking about upgrading to this DAC in future.

Love the WL with the WA2 & WA6. Rockna has tremendous synergy with Woo Audio and also Wells Audio gear (recently picked up a modified solid state Milo from Jeff Wells).

The Wavelight is really a phenominal DAC, the best I've experienced thus far in my journey. So much so, that I put my MHDT Orchid up for sale here. Never thought I would sell the Orchid - another phenomenal DAC - but it's just not getting any playtime and really can't compete with the WL (nor should it).

Dec 24, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #41,930 of 42,298
Lets see what the fuzz is all about and if this is more than snake oil 🐍

F34B3CFF-776E-4F50-B666-351591A71D20.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #41,932 of 42,298
Isn't that a WA22?

The two models visually appear very similar - easy to confuse depending on photo/post

The WA2 above is an OTL with 6080 power x 2, 6922 driver x 2, 6CA4 rectifier x 2

The WA22 is transformer-coupled (point-to-point) 6SN7 driver x 2, 6080 power x 2, 5U4G rectifier x 1

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #41,933 of 42,298
The two models visually appear very similar - easy to confuse depending on photo/post

The WA2 above is an OTL with 6080 power x 2, 6922 driver x 2, 6CA4 rectifier x 2

The WA22 is transformer-coupled (point-to-point) 6SN7 driver x 2, 6080 power x 2, 5U4G rectifier x 1
Yes, I'm aware of their differences. After posting I realized I confused the WA3 which is an OTL and shares the same chassis as the WA6 and the WA2 shares the same chassis with the WA22. Apologies.

Dec 24, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #41,934 of 42,298
Yes, I'm aware of their differences. After posting I realized I confused the WA3 which is an OTL and shares the same chassis as the WA6 and the WA2 shares the same chassis with the WA22. Apologies.

Yes...same chasis and easy to confuse at quick glance. Figured I would just post the tube compliments - for anyone else researching through the thread.

I know you have a WA33 and are no stranger to their lineup :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Given how great the WA6 (modified) and the WA2 sound --> I can only imagine how incredible your WA33 must be! :notes:

Dec 24, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #41,936 of 42,298
After your're finished assessing this well established company - if open to it - perhaps update your profile so we can see what gear testing with :sunglasses:

Otherwise, your opinion is sort of in a vacuum and without context.
Hey David, no offense. Never "meant" to make a derogatory remark regarding the reputation of Synergistic Research. If I weren't confident to some extend that it will have an influence of the sound I wouldn't have considered buying the fuse. @ColSaulTigh highly recommended them to me and I trust him. Never the less I need to "find" out for myself how a little fuse can influence (to what extend) the sound that mostly gets it's benefits from the amp's rectifiers.

Regarding your setup question, I'm going to use it within my tube amp Woo WA6-SE. Headphones are ZMF VC and Meze Liric. Looking forward to your opinion.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #41,937 of 42,298
Hey David, no offense. Never "meant" to make a derogatory remark regarding the reputation of Synergistic Research. If I weren't confident so some extend that it will have an influence of the sound I wouldn't have considered buying the fuse. @ColSaulTigh highly recommended them to me and I trust him. Never the less I need to "find" out for myself how a little fuse can influence (to what extend) the sound that mostly gets it's benefits from the amp's rectifiers.

Regarding your setup question, I'm going to use it within my tube amp Woo WA6-SE. Headphones are ZMF VC and Meze Liric. Looking forward to your opinion.

All good my friend - was just busting your chops for the snake oil comment...Everyone is entitled to their opinion(s) - that's what makes it fun on here...

The SR Purple fuse takes a good amount of time to break-in so be patient with it. Fuses are certainly chasing after the last few percentage points of performance - but why not have it all :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dec 25, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #41,938 of 42,298
Yes, easy to confuse.
I did own the WA6 and it was an excellent amplifier, as well as owning the WA6 SE for a short time, but preferred the WA6 due to more tube rolling options. Really enjoy my WA33 (StandardEdition) w/upgraded tubes all around.
For its price / value point I really prefer the WA6-SE. Surly WA33 is another level but considering the price for the amp and tubes upgrades that go along with it you can be easily reach 10x times the price of the WA6-SE. But if you can afford it why not.

Dec 25, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #41,939 of 42,298
For its price / value point I really prefer the WA6-SE. Surly WA33 is another level but considering the price for the amp and tubes upgrades that go along with it you can be easily reach 10x times the price of the WA6-SE. But if you can afford it why not.
We all know my love of the WA6-SE, and from there I progressed up to the WA5-LE. From here, though, I might step outside the Woo family. I've been eyeballing the Ampandsound Red October, and I've also just started to move into the world of electrostatic. I have a Stax SRM-007t coming, and an Audeze CRBN sitting on a shelf waiting for it to arrive. I have a buddy who swears by them, so I figured I'd try it out. If I REALLY get into it, I might get a Woo 3ES, but that's far down the road at this point.

Dec 25, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #41,940 of 42,298
We all know my love of the WA6-SE, and from there I progressed up to the WA5-LE. From here, though, I might step outside the Woo family. I've been eyeballing the Ampandsound Red October, and I've also just started to move into the world of electrostatic. I have a Stax SRM-007t coming, and an Audeze CRBN sitting on a shelf waiting for it to arrive. I have a buddy who swears by them, so I figured I'd try it out. If I REALLY get into it, I might get a Woo 3ES, but that's far down the road at this point.
Tried Stax 009 and 007mk2 driven by Mjolnir KGSShv-KGST then finally HeadAmps BHSE for -/+3yrs. Beautiful sound from the estats systems, but in the end they got a little too polite for my tastes and didn't want to be limited to estats just for the BHSE. I moved on to the Utopia and HE1Kv2, as well as Grado's driven by both, the WA33 and GS-Xmk2 and still enjoy these systems very much.

Of course this is a matter of preference and I mentioned my reasons for switching back, but electrostatics are definitely a must to try if you never owned them. I also heard the 009 driven by the 3ES at CJNYC '21 and it was very impressive, as well as hearing the CRBN driven by the Mjolnir Carbon which was very impressive too. Enjoy the journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back