Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 7, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #41,043 of 42,298
You are correct, 300B’s are good for some sensitive speakers, but that’s limited to some sensitive speakers only, bookshelf speakers at best. No way for them to drive these gigantic tower speakers and subwoofers, even in some push-pull 300B configurations (15-18 watts?).

I personally still think headphone amps is the best place for 300B or 2A3 tubes. If you need large power for these tower speakers, the only feasible choice is solid state amps, but of course you can add some tube pre-amp to get some tubey sound. Or possibly one can spend $$$$$$$$ to get these custom biggies :beyersmile:

73f9e58cde3f140715a7d974aa701a0e.jpg

Actually, everything else being equal a big speaker is going to be more sensitive than a bookshelp speaker. The big cabinet makes it louder with the same power, and gives it better base response. Of course everything else is rarely equal, but there are a lot more "big" speakers out there with sensitivities above e.g 95 dB then there are bookself speakers.

Regardless, that is a super cool amp !

Oct 18, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #41,044 of 42,298
WA6 Rectifier inquiry: I rotate the rectifiers and drivers on my WA6 1st gen for a change of pace. I have an early 50's RCA 5u4g and an early 50's Ken Rad 5v4g (also manufactured by RCA). I have 2 sets of 6fd7 drivers RCA and Sylvania. My headphones are Drop 6xx (aka HD650s). I listen mainly to jazz. Can anybody with a similar set up compare the sound of the RCA 6v4g to that of either the Brimar or Mullard 5v4g versions? Thank you!

Oct 27, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #41,045 of 42,298
Using 300B's as pre will be too luxury :beyersmile:

I think the best place for 300B is in headphone amps. Because of the limited power/current capacity, I don't think tubes are sufficient to drive speakers (of course those gigantic custom-made tubes are anomalies)

Plenty of 300b amps are designed for efficient speakers. I used my WA5 quite success to drive a pair of ProAc super tablettes, and more recently a pair of Devore Super 8s. They don’t have quite the control of bass that EL34 or KT88s based amps. But a decent sub, like my REL Strata III, blends nicely.

Oct 27, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #41,047 of 42,298
When I had a WA5le I was eagerly awaiting some reviews on the new issue Western Electric 300B. Ran out of patience and bought a WA33.:jecklinsmile: Interested to hear your thoughts. Would be nice for everyone, except vintage resellers, it they can compete with the originals.

Oct 30, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #41,049 of 42,298
Always an exciting email to receive. I’m waiting for a notice like that from HeadAmp.

Nov 12, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #41,053 of 42,298
Hi all. I have a used Wa3 arriving soon. I'll be using it primarily with HD6xx's, which sound like should be a great match. I have 2 questions though.

1) It's my first tube amp. If I use it with lower impedance cans like Audeze Lcd-x's will that be a problem or cause damage?

2) If anyone that has tube rolled the Wa3 has any recommendations would love to hear them.

Thanks!

Nov 12, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #41,054 of 42,298
Hi all. I have a used Wa3 arriving soon. I'll be using it primarily with HD6xx's, which sound like should be a great match. I have 2 questions though.

1) It's my first tube amp. If I use it with lower impedance cans like Audeze Lcd-x's will that be a problem or cause damage?

2) If anyone that has tube rolled the Wa3 has any recommendations would love to hear them.

Thanks!

i tried the Sundara on my Woo 3+ and found they didn’t fair so well, much better control with my SS amp. Grado’s sound pretty good though. I’m thinking it’s the driver style more than the lower impedance. The 3+ has a choke that is suppose to play lower impedance phones better. Plus mine has upgraded caps and resistors.

For a power tube I use a Tung Sol 5998 and a set of Gold Lions as drivers. The 7236 power tubes are also a great alternative to the 6080. Look in the for sale thread, there’s a nice Sylvania 7236 for sale, yes it’s mine.

Nov 12, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #41,055 of 42,298

Thanks!

Congratulations on your WA3! It's a great amp for the HD6XX. I'm not sure if it will work with your LCD-X though. I don't think there is any danger of damage, but it may not sound good. I'm currently using a Sovtek 6AS7G power tube with Brimar E88CC driver tubes and I'm enjoying that combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back