Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 29, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #41,026 of 42,298
The WA22 performs flawlessly as a balanced preamp. It's dead quiet, while imparting Woo's "most euphonic" presentation.

Sep 30, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #41,028 of 42,298
Ok so I gave it a shot.

WA22 pre to GSX Mini (to Susvara) is better than WA22 alone.

There is more bass and sub-bass/low end rumble. To get a similar amount of bass with wa22 alone, I need to raise the volume more, but then this results in the highs overpowering and becoming too shrill/loud. The low end rumble is very nice. Can't really replicate with wa22 alone.

End result is a more balanced sound. Mids also sound slightly fuller. Soundstage no perceptible difference.

If I have time tomorrow I will try wa22+gsx mini vs gsx mini alone.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #41,029 of 42,298
Ok so I gave it a shot.

There is more bass and sub-bass/low end rumble. To get a similar amount of bass with wa22 alone, I need to raise the volume more, but then this results in the highs overpowering and becoming too shrill/loud. The low end rumble is very nice. Can't really replicate with wa22 alone.

End result is a more balanced sound. Mids also sound slightly fuller. Soundstage no perceptible difference.

I’m thinking the gsx mini is not as exceptional or (close enough to) ideal with the hard to drive susvaras that some others (ie not you) have initially professed it to be.

Sep 30, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #41,030 of 42,298
I was enjoying this series this evening. At 16:36 Dan says that there are a lot of different ways to design a circuit in terms of how much current goes through it, how much stress is put on the tube at start-up. At 17:27 he says that there are manufacturers who design circuits that "burn up tubes".

Do you guys know, how does Woo do on this, for the WA3 that I own for example? Is it fairly gentle on the tubes or aggressive and reducing lifespan?

Oct 1, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #41,031 of 42,298
Ok so I gave it a shot.

great to hear! They don’t make WA2 pre anymore and was curious about WA22 pre. I used to own both amps at one point and enjoyed the pre wa2. never tried wa22 pre.

I currently use a gsx mk2 as a pre to my first watt j2 for my speakers and been curious how a woo would do. I use WA5 as well (main amp, but wish this had a pre, that would be insane).

edit: just tried gsx mk2 pre into WA5, wow, I like it, gets more dynamic and punchy.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #41,032 of 42,298
I was enjoying this series this evening. At 16:36 Dan says that there are a lot of different ways to design a circuit in terms of how much current goes through it, how much stress is put on the tube at start-up. At 17:27 he says that there are manufacturers who design circuits that "burn up tubes".

Do you guys know, how does Woo do on this, for the WA3 that I own for example? Is it fairly gentle on the tubes or aggressive and reducing lifespan?

I read in an old review that "because they're completely tube-based, including the rectifiers", Woo amps start up slowly and have longer tube life.
It's referring to the WA2, but I think that would also include at least the other Woo amps with rectifier tubes.
Here it is: https://www.monoandstereo.com/2010/12/woo-audio-wa2-headphone.html

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #41,033 of 42,298
I read in an old review that "because they're completely tube-based, including the rectifiers", Woo amps start up slowly and have longer tube life.
It's referring to the WA2, but I think that would also include at least the other Woo amps with rectifier tubes.

It may take couple of mins to bring tube rectifiers up to speed, but the main factors to determine tube life are the voltages loaded onto the plates and grids :)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #41,034 of 42,298
great to hear! They don’t make WA2 pre anymore and was curious about WA22 pre. I used to own both amps at one point and enjoyed the pre wa2. never tried wa22 pre.

I currently use a gsx mk2 as a pre to my first watt j2 for my speakers and been curious how a woo would do. I use WA5 as well (main amp, but wish this had a pre, that would be insane).

edit: just tried gsx mk2 pre into WA5, wow, I like it, gets more dynamic and punchy.

Using 300B's as pre will be too luxury :beyersmile:

I think the best place for 300B is in headphone amps. Because of the limited power/current capacity, I don't think tubes are sufficient to drive speakers (of course those gigantic custom-made tubes are anomalies)

Oct 2, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #41,035 of 42,298
It may take couple of mins to bring tube rectifiers up to speed, but the main factors to determine tube life are the voltages loaded onto the plates and grids :)
No reason both can't be true? I don't think these two concepts are mutually exclusive.
The lowered voltages can be because of rectifier tubes being used, in place of solid state components.

Oct 2, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #41,036 of 42,298
These are not mutually exclusive concepts.

What I was trying to say is that during start up tube rectifiers might take couple of mins to bring voltages up to speed (vs almost none with SS rectifier), and the lowered startup voltages can possible help.

But the main deciding factors that affect tube longevity are the voltages loaded onto tube plates and grids. If tubes are pushed too hard they will have a shortened life. Other factors include whether you switch on and off your amp too frequently, whether you move tubes all around all the time, etc.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #41,037 of 42,298
Using 300B's as pre will be too luxury :beyersmile:

I think the best place for 300B is in headphone amps. Because of the limited power/current capacity, I don't think tubes are sufficient to drive speakers (of course those gigantic custom-made tubes are anomalies)

theres plenty of tubes that can drive speakers, though sometimes they have to get creative.

generally though for amps like the WA5, a 300B tube based design in a class A SET, you will get around 8-10 watts of power. so speaker efficiency has to be high, like my Omega speakers at 97dB. that means the woo audio 5 can get them to around 106dB of volume at full power, which is plenty loud for most purposes, if I use my preamp as well, I can probably get it a little higher. my first watt j2 at 25W can probably get to 112dB or very close to that. that said, the WA5 is great for speakers with high efficiency, Omega, Zu, Tekton, older Klipsch, Devore, are some choices. sound quality of WA5 is on par with many 300B speaker only amps

l

Oct 7, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #41,038 of 42,298
You are correct, 300B’s are good for some sensitive speakers, but that’s limited to some sensitive speakers only, bookshelf speakers at best. No way for them to drive these gigantic tower speakers and subwoofers, even in some push-pull 300B configurations (15-18 watts?).

I personally still think headphone amps is the best place for 300B or 2A3 tubes. If you need large power for these tower speakers, the only feasible choice is solid state amps, but of course you can add some tube pre-amp to get some tubey sound. Or possibly one can spend $$$$$$$$ to get these custom biggies :beyersmile:

73f9e58cde3f140715a7d974aa701a0e.jpg

Oct 7, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #41,040 of 42,298
You are correct, 300B’s are good for some sensitive speakers, but that’s limited to some sensitive speakers only, bookshelf speakers at best. No way for them to drive these gigantic tower speakers and subwoofers, even in some push-pull 300B configurations (15-18 watts?).

I personally still think headphone amps is the best place for 300B or 2A3 tubes. If you need large power for these tower speakers, the only feasible choice is solid state amps, but of course you can add some tube pre-amp to get some tubey sound. Or possibly one can spend $$$$$$$$ to get these custom biggies :beyersmile:

73f9e58cde3f140715a7d974aa701a0e.jpg

That is gotta be the coolest looking amp I have ever seen. Sounds great just looking at the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back