Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 16, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #40,862 of 42,298
I'm in the club!

QSh6gowTL-K6wNY_4pzWcU3E4Up-Wgpg23S7WCAFf16bPk9ktvwYTz5c7RDRYZ2p7LSRU0CVc6Noz2ufHA0KzxpaMHJx1WPMUC2d1Os_VNWiRXn_UW8wHufylxbL5wQ4hVKW9Mzi6BLsx1xOmE3oHCOnfvs9yaU7dSKqk1vc5Z7g8IFkwoAMKHon-cq5sGrbur5OjJke8r9dY5iC6PEQLMKRQ3Nri6orKbz-0QQTiUffvT_zq62m-x6LlYWO15NdIs_HNGehE9eZXvQkci69bvtkCMGVtwznWBfw_hv9oH3COG2xS1lfv3EL1RG09w0_HernzfHM8nZ944MAuGi9NRk1CM9Dojq5B0SiMUy-NmcRZcEa17-CJBeeoJSkcorEH_3uO5MrK9ZjCHKBIK_LWfBzfw5cRcAgU08k_i-gewKe2ss3sM7vGm3WwQh6HbCcBeMl02bbQz0tEe1nn5NAEG6kVEeSFCWRQOf80uk_1mWb5Xrf4zg3eAUlt0FSVxwcEppopkIH0_5l1ruac93gY5wyV3MZ-gz0HWqs7jnTIsOP1TcE_gOclPRUjq6-chThTdWIGHgfM0awNbYhSma7DwYlh4Lcm-xv47gmoGud9b7n8z-H-JsffLMj40Syuo3PD3nItdSMp9XsCJpI9VR_PmwiwpVUo2p0ikX46rCzwfxyh7LRswYEA2rzAeqlHw=w1102-h826-no

My WA22 with "budget RCA" tube line up: RCA brand (Sylvania made) 7N7, (ubiquitous) 6AS7G and a (cheap) USN-CRC 5Z3 rectifier of unknown provenance. It sounds fantastic either feeding the trusty Senn HD650s or as a preamp, I use it in both roles almost equally.

A couple of thoughts I haven't seen in the thread, although I admit I haven't read every post.

1) I've been playing a lot with "budget" power tubes, can't really see spending hundreds for the designer names. And it seems like there is a lot of synergy between the power tube and the rectifier. For example the 6AS7Gs sound great with the Z3 or an old 5U4, but pretty average with either a RCA Brownbase 5R4GY or a Mullard/Matshushita GZ34. OTOH I've got 6080WAs that are almost unlistenable with the 5Z3/5U4 but sound good with the 5R4/GZ34. Apparently stiffness matters :wink:.

2) In a lot of ways the preamp aspect is a lot more revealing of tubes than headphones. Several tube combos that sound pretty good on the 'phones are meh at best through the amp and speakers. Seems like there really is a lot more information, and more opportunity for nitpicking and/or neurosis when the sound stage a spread out in front of you then when everything is just between your ears.

3) I really appreciate this thread, I've been reading it for a long time and it was instrumental in finally getting me to pull the trigger on a Woo. Well, that and needing to upgrade my personal listening situation for the lock down so I don't make my wife crazy.

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #40,864 of 42,298
So, six years later... I finally purchased a WA2, so I could move my WA3 to my office.

Would have purchased another WA3, but they are no longer for sale.

Thought hard about a WA22 or even a WA33; but I have so many tubes for the WA2 ... and I am remodeling my house ... and my daughter is starting school in the fall ... and we may be heading into a world-wide economic depression.

2020-05-17 10.26.55.jpg

May 19, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #40,866 of 42,298
Anyone else use the Brimar/Mazda 6CG7/6FQ7 driver tubes in their WA22? Holy crap the mids sound awesome compared to the Tung Sol 1706.

May 20, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #40,867 of 42,298
Hi everyone, I need recommendation for good WA5 driver tubes, right now I am using tung sol 6sn7gt black round plates.

Maybe you guys can recommend me something better or good driver tubes.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #40,868 of 42,298
Hi everyone, I need recommendation for good WA5 driver tubes, right now I am using tung sol 6sn7gt black round plates.

Maybe you guys can recommend me something better or good driver tubes.

A lot of people think those are among the best. But another option would be US Military tubes from WWII: RCA JAN 5692 "redbase" or Sylvania JAN VT-231. Others think the Mullard CV-181 is the holy grail of 6SN7 type tubes. Try a few and lets us know what you think!

For me, I'm OK spending 4 figures on audio gear that will last decades but something about my Scottish heritage rebels at spending hundreds on tubes that I consider "consumables." I'm using 7N7 tubes I got on ebay for less than 5 bucks each. Can't say how they compare to your Tung Sols or other "heritage tubes" but they sound really good, as good or better than the Sylvania WGTAs I got when I first got my WA22.

May 25, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #40,869 of 42,298
A lot of people think those are among the best. But another option would be US Military tubes from WWII: RCA JAN 5692 "redbase" or Sylvania JAN VT-231. Others think the Mullard CV-181 is the holy grail of 6SN7 type tubes. Try a few and lets us know what you think!

For me, I'm OK spending 4 figures on audio gear that will last decades but something about my Scottish heritage rebels at spending hundreds on tubes that I consider "consumables." I'm using 7N7 tubes I got on ebay for less than 5 bucks each. Can't say how they compare to your Tung Sols or other "heritage tubes" but they sound really good, as good or better than the Sylvania WGTAs I got when I first got my WA22.

I have my eyes on RCA 5692 redbase, thank you for your response.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #40,870 of 42,298
As I wrote somewhere above, I recently purchased my first tube amp, the WA3. I am impressed with the sound improvement (over RME ADI-2 Solid State). I would like to learn more about tubes. Currently my amp has a power tube - Tung Sol 5998 JAN and two driver tubes - Telefunken branded E88CC’s made by JJ Audio. I understand that these are upgrades over the stock tubes and quite good.

Nonetheless, to make my first steps into tube rolling, I have some really noob questions:

1) The amp uses two driver tubes. Does that mean that I cannot just buy two tubes of a certain type (for example these (this site just taken as an example - https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/pcc887dj8-philips-sleeved-5pcs-nos-valvestubes/). Is it correct that I cannot just select 2 from the pulldown menu and buy, but instead I have to find a site/seller that sells a pair of tubes which are matched very closely together? Or do I have to specially request that they match them (can I trust that the shop will do this well?)?

2) Are older (1950s, 60s, 70s) NOS tubes generally, most of the time preferable to any modern production tubes? I understand that my Telefunken E88CCs are new production even though there were historical Telefunken tubes?

3) What does the JAN mean at the end of some tube names? I see Woo is selling the Tung Sol 5998 currently, but not with JAN at the end of the name and the original owner was saying this is a very rare tube. Did he mean the JAN version?

4) Is it worth ordering from Woo Audio replacement stock tubes for the WA3 ($150) so I can see the difference compared to what I have now or are the WA3 stock tubes just a massive step down and I should instead try to find something in the price range of the Tung Sol and Telefunken?

5) If I don't want to got he eBay route at first, what are some trusted and not-premium priced European stores / website for buying tubes?

Sorry for the multitude of questions. I am very much enjoying the WA3 and hope to keep it for a long time and use it to explore different tube configs.

May 25, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #40,871 of 42,298
As I wrote somewhere above, I recently purchased my first tube amp, the WA3. I am impressed with the sound improvement (over RME ADI-2 Solid State). I would like to learn more about tubes. Currently my amp has a power tube - Tung Sol 5998 JAN and two driver tubes - Telefunken branded E88CC’s made by JJ Audio. I understand that these are upgrades over the stock tubes and quite good.

Nonetheless, to make my first steps into tube rolling, I have some really noob questions:

1) The amp uses two driver tubes. Does that mean that I cannot just buy two tubes of a certain type (for example these (this site just taken as an example - https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/pcc887dj8-philips-sleeved-5pcs-nos-valvestubes/). Is it correct that I cannot just select 2 from the pulldown menu and buy, but instead I have to find a site/seller that sells a pair of tubes which are matched very closely together? Or do I have to specially request that they match them (can I trust that the shop will do this well?)?

2) Are older (1950s, 60s, 70s) NOS tubes generally, most of the time preferable to any modern production tubes? I understand that my Telefunken E88CCs are new production even though there were historical Telefunken tubes?

3) What does the JAN mean at the end of some tube names? I see Woo is selling the Tung Sol 5998 currently, but not with JAN at the end of the name and the original owner was saying this is a very rare tube. Did he mean the JAN version?

4) Is it worth ordering from Woo Audio replacement stock tubes for the WA3 ($150) so I can see the difference compared to what I have now or are the WA3 stock tubes just a massive step down and I should instead try to find something in the price range of the Tung Sol and Telefunken?

5) If I don't want to got he eBay route at first, what are some trusted and not-premium priced European stores / website for buying tubes?

Sorry for the multitude of questions. I am very much enjoying the WA3 and hope to keep it for a long time and use it to explore different tube configs.

First, welcome to the world of tube amps! Tube rolling is fun, but can get expensive. I've added my answers below - others may have different opinions:
1. I usually don't bother with matching; I just order two tubes. I think I had one occasion where there was an audible channel imbalance between the tubes. Most of the time the non-matched tubes work just fine.
2. Depends. I think the new-production 6922 tubes from Gold Lion are pretty good, but there are many vintage tubes that I enjoy also. Some folks are only into vintage tubes.
3. JAN = Joint Army Navy, I believe. It's basically a military tube designation.
4. I would maybe order a pair of Electro-Harmonix 6922 at a lower price to see how you like the difference first before going after more expensive tubes.
5. There are a number of online tube sellers. Some that I have used are The Tube Store, Tube Depot, Upscale Audio, TC Tubes and Brent Jessee.

BTW, the Tung-Sol 5998 is a wonderful power tube, so it you'd like to try tube rolling I would suggest to try some other driver tubes first.

May 25, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #40,872 of 42,298
Have WA33 wondering about rectifier tubes. Currently have stock and Takasuki 274b. Woo made it sound like using tubes they don’t sell is void warranty. But I upgraded the power tubes to EML 2A3 mesh. And driver tubes EH gold pins.

How do I learn what tubes are compatible?
I was thinking about getting EML rectifier.
Is going cheaper the better route?

May 25, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #40,873 of 42,298
Have WA33 wondering about rectifier tubes. Currently have stock and Takasuki 274b. Woo made it sound like using tubes they don’t sell is void warranty. But I upgraded the power tubes to EML 2A3 mesh. And driver tubes EH gold pins.

How do I learn what tubes are compatible?
I was thinking about getting EML rectifier.
Is going cheaper the better route?

You can find what you are looking for here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...GZap-AldiTsvuY4Ms1K_p3k/pub?hl=en&output=html

May 25, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #40,874 of 42,298
I don't think you can do better than the Takatsuki. If you are looking for a quality backup for reasonable money I would go with the Sophia 274b Mesh. I used them when I had the WA5 and found them quite fine. If your looking for substantial changes in sound I don't believe changing rectifier tubes is the most effective method.

May 25, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #40,875 of 42,298

Users who are viewing this thread

Back