Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 16, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #40,216 of 42,298
I was at Axpona this weekend and had the chance to listen to the WA33, WA33 Elite Edition and the new 3ES electrostatic amp. This is the fist time I have heard these 3 amps and I am very impressed. I am a former owner of a WA5-LE v1 that I have for a few years. I have not listen in detail to the v2 version but my assumption is the sound is the same just more power. The WA33 is a significant step forward in performance IMO. First I listened to the WA33 and thought it was excellent. Very powerful, dynamic, quite and musical then I moved to the WA33 Elite Edition (with stock tubes) and it was easy to notice an further improvement in performance. My jaw dropped when I listen to it with the Utopia (which I own) with the Kimber Axios Silver cable. OMG! It was the best dynamic set I have ever heard and something I was not expecting was the bass response out of the Utopia. I listened to David Gray "Sail Away" and Sing's "Thousand Years". I have never have heard and "feel" that deep bass out of the Utopia before.

With the WA33 Elite Edition even the HD800 sounded robust without loosing its soundstage magic.Also the best I have ever heard them.

The 3ES is based on 4 300B tubes so it does have that magic and provides the sweetness to the electrostatic headphones. The bass in the SR-009 is clearly improved. I personally prefer this amp based on my taste of sound over the BHSE with the SR-009.

Now, to start saving for a WA33 Elite Edition to come back to the Woo family! :beerchug:

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 17, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #40,217 of 42,298
Just a few months ago, I started out with a Schiit Magni 3, and a pair of AD700x's. I never thought I would get into it this far... (I could not describe to you what the Woo does to sound, but I love it!)

A few other amps later, including trying to fix a broken Bravo Audio V1, and still not liking it after I got it working. I am now the proud owner of a brand new WA6 Gen 2, set up with a pair of HD650's and a Dacmagic plus. I even have a new set of tubes on the way, a Sophia 274B and a set of Sylvania, clear top, fat bottle 13FD7's.

nelZBxsl.jpg

The only catch is... I have sent an email to Woo, hoping it is more of a nuisance than an actual problem. The amp hums. Not through the headphones. But through the amp itself. Only while switched on, and it is a 60hz hum. Sounds exactly the same as the step-down transformers in the green utility pedestals on the side of the road. (Or, where I am all to familiar with the transformer hum from, is the distribution and switchgear rooms in buildings equipped with standby gen's)

Apr 17, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #40,218 of 42,298
Just a few months ago, I started out with a Schiit Magni 3, and a pair of AD700x's. I never thought I would get into it this far... (I could not describe to you what the Woo does to sound, but I love it!)

A few other amps later, including trying to fix a broken Bravo Audio V1, and still not liking it after I got it working. I am now the proud owner of a brand new WA6 Gen 2, set up with a pair of HD650's and a Dacmagic plus. I even have a new set of tubes on the way, a Sophia 274B and a set of Sylvania, clear top, fat bottle 13FD7's.

nelZBxsl.jpg

The only catch is... I have sent an email to Woo, hoping it is more of a nuisance than an actual problem. The amp hums. Not through the headphones. But through the amp itself. Only while switched on, and it is a 60hz hum. Sounds exactly the same as the step-down transformers in the green utility pedestals on the side of the road. (Or, where I am all to familiar with the transformer hum from, is the distribution and switchgear rooms in buildings equipped with standby gen's)

Good luck, pal. Be prepared to have to "prove" the amp is having a problem. I hope your experience is better than mine - the amps do sound great; but, getting any kind of assistance with a problem is a consistently unpleasant experience.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #40,219 of 42,298
Good luck, pal. Be prepared to have to "prove" the amp is having a problem. I hope your experience is better than mine - the amps do sound great; but, getting any kind of assistance with a problem is a consistently unpleasant experience.
Interesting. I was under the impression that Woo's customer service was quite good.

Very close to pulling the trigger on a WA6 or WA7 by the end of the week. Perhaps I need to rethink my position.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #40,220 of 42,298

Oof.... That is not good to hear. Even more so for someone coming from an industry where the benefit of the doubt goes to the customer during warranty considerations, and we even help out with cost on out of warranty items on a case by case basis...

But, Like I said, it is more of a nuisance than anything, and as long as it does not prove a hazard to the life of the amp, or a fire hazard. I will happily run it with the hum. It is so quiet, that I have to listen for it, or be in a quiet room to hear it. Hopefully that is all it is, is a nuisance.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #40,221 of 42,298
I bought my first Woo about 10 years ago; I've never had anything but positive experiences with Woo and Woo products.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #40,222 of 42,298
Oof.... That is not good to hear. Even more so for someone coming from an industry where the benefit of the doubt goes to the customer during warranty considerations, and we even help out with cost on out of warranty items on a case by case basis...

But, Like I said, it is more of a nuisance than anything, and as long as it does not prove a hazard to the life of the amp, or a fire hazard. I will happily run it with the hum. It is so quiet, that I have to listen for it, or be in a quiet room to hear it. Hopefully that is all it is, is a nuisance.

Did you try the headphone jack on the DAC? I wonder if the hum could be coming from the DAC--->WA6?

Apr 17, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #40,223 of 42,298
Did you try the headphone jack on the DAC? I wonder if the hum could be coming from the DAC--->WA6?

It is actually an external hum. I hear it from the body of the amp, only with my headphones off. And it can still be heard it with them unplugged, and the RCA cables removed.

I know the physics behind it, and it is not a fault in larger transformers. But, I do not know if the transformers in the WA6 carry enough current to justify humming without another, potentially hazardous fault.

Edit... One of Woo's staff member's took the time to respond to my email after hours. He states that a very light transformer hum can be considered normal, and he would not be concerned by the hum that my WA6 exhibits, as the room has to be nearly silent to hear it.

And... A quick check of tracking, I get my Sophia tomorrow. I hate real time tracking. It has shown me exactly how impatient I really am.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #40,224 of 42,298
The only catch is... I have sent an email to Woo, hoping it is more of a nuisance than an actual problem. The amp hums.
Congratulations on the WA6.
I had the same issue with transformer humming slightly with my 1st Gen WA6. The hum occurred on start up, but then slowly dissipated, and if it didn't, it was also dependent on the tubes I was using. I'd wait until I switch the tubes out before sending it into Woo to hear if it goes away, or decreases. I understand you concerns, and I agree it shouldn't hum, but it is a transformer so its magnetic fields may be causing the chassis to vibrate.

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #40,225 of 42,298
Hey fellas, I recently picked up an older Maxxed WA6SE! Ironic that customer service is being discussed. The guys at Woo have been rather reluctant to provide a list of upgrades that the 'Maxxed' options included. Our communication just felt like they weren't really on my side...

I don't suppose any of you blokes could tell me what those upgrades included?

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #40,226 of 42,298
Congratulations on the WA6.
I had the same issue with transformer humming slightly with my 1st Gen WA6. The hum occurred on start up, but then slowly dissipated, and if it didn't, it was also dependent on the tubes I was using. I'd wait until I switch the tubes out before sending it into Woo to hear if it goes away, or decreases. I understand you concerns, and I agree it shouldn't hum, but it is a transformer so its magnetic fields may be causing the chassis to vibrate.

I imagine the rectifier had the most to do with it? I am replacing the stock 5U4GB tomorrow with a Sophia 274B. I will have to drop a quick update as to if it makes any difference or not.

The stock 13DE7's will be getting swapped some time late this week or early next week too.

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #40,227 of 42,298
Interesting. I was under the impression that Woo's customer service was quite good.

Very close to pulling the trigger on a WA6 or WA7 by the end of the week. Perhaps I need to rethink my position.

They are great sounding amps. Most folks don't have a problem with them. But, if you do... I've written about my experiences dealing with Wu elsewhere in this thread. If you want more info, PM me. I'll give you all the gory details.

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #40,228 of 42,298
I imagine the rectifier had the most to do with it? I am replacing the stock 5U4GB tomorrow with a Sophia 274B. I will have to drop a quick update as to if it makes any difference or not.

The stock 13DE7's will be getting swapped some time late this week or early next week too.
Ye, the rectifier had the most to do with it. I never used the stock rectifier tube, I ordered the SP 274B at the same time and put it in immediately. Unfortunately, this was the so called "upgraded tube" which gave e the issue. Hopefully it's not the same in your case.

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #40,229 of 42,298
Hey fellas, I recently picked up an older Maxxed WA6SE! Ironic that customer service is being discussed. The guys at Woo have been rather reluctant to provide a list of upgrades that the 'Maxxed' options included. Our communication just felt like they weren't really on my side...

I don't suppose any of you blokes could tell me what those upgrades included?
Congratulations!
I remember when I was ordering my WA6 I wanted it Maxxed, but they didn't offer the upgrade anymore. I believe part of it was due to the availability of Black Gate Caps. So I know this was one of the upgrades.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #40,230 of 42,298
Ye, the rectifier had the most to do with it. I never used the stock rectifier tube, I ordered the SP 274B at the same time and put it in immediately. Unfortunately, this was the so called "upgraded tube" which gave e the issue. Hopefully it's not the same in your case.

Sophia dropped by today... I must say, she is quite the eye pleaser, and sounds great too. Plus... the Hum is gone. It must be something to do with the individual tube, matched with the transformer. On the AC side. Current draw, resonance... Something?

7c5ouQLl.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back