Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 16, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #40,186 of 42,299
i was always told - and it could all be incorrect (this was in a home recording studio) that you would turn amp on and then the speakers (on nil volume)

i was never told anything about resistive loads so i am very much coming in from a totally noob / layman point of view - and am happy to hear i was told wrong

like a river flowing.......or should i say "like sands through the hour glass"............

giphy.gif

:)

i shall read up on it in between youtube clips/poker games whilst on line

thanks

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #40,187 of 42,299
Mar 16, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #40,189 of 42,299
I visited my local dealer and tested out their demo wa5-le. And was pleased to know that, with the headphones plugged in, there's no loud pop when the amp was powered on. Thats a relieve. I have also written to Woo Audio, Mike regarding the issues Im facing.

Hopefully, they will take care of me ... :frowning2:

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #40,190 of 42,299
@binot

It sounds like the PWR switch is not in the exact position. The knob is rather stiff. When changing the PWR switch from HI and LO, disconnect the headphone first to avoid the pop sound. This applies only to WA5 and WA5-LE.

For most headphones, we recommend using LO power output. Turn the knob all the way to the RIGHT to the LO position. The HI power setting is for headphones such as the ABYSS, AKG K1000, LCD4 and SUSVARA.

DSC_1683.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #40,191 of 42,299
The only headphones I use the HI power setting for are my LCD-4's. I leave my headphones plugged in when I turn the amp on or off. No loud pops. I do unplug them and turn volume all the way down before changing power setting. Or change it before turning the amp on. No issues with noise or pops. All though my Utopia's have background noise on high impedance setting or high power setting. Never run them that way, was just curious to find out.

Mar 18, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #40,192 of 42,299
Still trouble shooting.....

Any WA5-LE owners experiencing this phenomena.

Hum and buzzing heard thru the headphones after the amp's power switch is turned Off. This Hum/buzzing can still be heard despite switching the mains socket Off. The Hum/Buzzing only goes away when the AC cord is completely unplugged from the mains socket.

Strange...

Anyway. Thanks to all whom responded regarding my earlier posting. Cheers

Mar 18, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #40,193 of 42,299
Don’t experience any buzzing or hum on my WA5LE either switched on or off.....sounds like it could be an ‘earth loop’ in your system. When you switch off does the hum disappear when you disconnect the xlr/rca inputs as opposed to the mains lead? Have you tried plugging your WA5 into another system, different mains socket, interconnects? To see if the hum disappears...

Mar 18, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #40,195 of 42,299
Don’t experience any buzzing or hum on my WA5LE either switched on or off.....sounds like it could be an ‘earth loop’ in your system. When you switch off does the hum disappear when you disconnect the xlr/rca inputs as opposed to the mains lead? Have you tried plugging your WA5 into another system, different mains socket, interconnects? To see if the hum disappears...

I removed all the interconnects, and tested. The amp was also brought to a different location in the house with a change the power cord.
But sadly, it still hums with when its OFF.

Mar 18, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #40,198 of 42,299
I would return it to the shop.

Well... Im still working with both Woo and the local distributor for solving the POP Issue and this Humming issue.. This is probably the most expensive Tube amp that I ever bought... and also turning into the most disappointing and frustrating experience... :triportsad:

Mar 18, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #40,199 of 42,299
Well... Im still working with both Woo and the local distributor for solving the POP Issue and this Humming issue.. This is probably the most expensive Tube amp that I ever bought... and also turning into the most disappointing and frustrating experience... :triportsad:
Hoping everything works out for you.
If the amp is new, they shouldn't hesitate to give you another one immediately.

Mar 19, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #40,200 of 42,299
Have you tested the wiring in your house? Inverted wires could cause that.

Hmmm... What do you mean by "Inverted" ? Swappinp between the "Live" and neutral wires?

All my previous Woo ampliers, WA2, WA6-SE and WA-7 all is working fine without this hum. Not to mention my current DAC/AMP.. Sony TA-ZH1 ES..

Previously I was also using a mini KGSSHV, with Stax SR009.. which was dead quiet.. non of them experiencing this weird humming. Urrgggg!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back