Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 6, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #39,661 of 42,298
There is some possibility :wink:

Thank you ! Get it ! Grey or black plate ?

For my part I'm looking for depth bass, with impactfull, a rich sound, good mids and really smooth and mellow high (ok for rolled off high)

Woo Audio has been very specific regarding not using 6sn7s with the 6SE. If you go and ahead, be aware that there is a chance you will damage your amp and/or blow the tubes.

Some 6SE owners who wanted to use 6sn7s sold their 6SE and purchased a WA6. Check out some of Joseph's posts from a while back - he described his move and reasoning in detail.

May 6, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #39,662 of 42,298
They are grey plates with 2 rectangular hole on the sides of each plate.

The bass is usually not a problem with these tubes. It's controlled and extended. Although if you have a WA6 your rectifier will have a more noticeable effect on the bass.

Ok thank you ! I have a brimar 5Z4GY, a RCA 5U4G, burn-in GZ34 and waiting a 5931 for rectifier part :)

Woo Audio has been very specific regarding not using 6sn7s with the 6SE. If you go and ahead, be aware that there is a chance you will damage your amp and/or blow the tubes.

Some 6SE owners who wanted to use 6sn7s sold their 6SE and purchased a WA6. Check out some of Joseph's posts from a while back - he described his move and reasoning in detail.

Yeah I know. Normally I could have special adapter. If not I will probably thinking this move.

Regards,

May 6, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #39,663 of 42,298
Ok thank you ! I have a brimar 5Z4GY, a RCA 5U4G, burn-in GZ34 and waiting a 5931 for rectifier part :)

Yeah I know. Normally I could have special adapter. If not I will probably thinking this move.

Regards,
The issue is not the adapter which matches up tube pins in sockets to the base socket, it's tube specifications that are incompatible.

May 6, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #39,665 of 42,298
There is some possibility :wink:

Thank you ! Get it ! Grey or black plate ?

For my part I'm looking for depth bass, with impactfull, a rich sound, good mids and really smooth and mellow high (ok for rolled off high)

If mellow and rich are your highest priorities then you might like the National Union black glass 6SN7GT. Keep in mind you'll sacrifice a bit of resolution, but the mids are very euphonic and they are very mellow. They might not give you the bass you want though. A KenRad 6SN7GT will give you the bass reponse you want and is also a fairly rich sounding tube in the mids, but they can be a bit grainy on the top at times. These characteristics can be tweaked by your rectifier choice as well. If you want to make your amp more mellow you run a rectifier with high voltage drop like the 5U4G or 5R4GY (a personal favorite of mine for this amp). If you want to make the sound faster and more aggressive then run a 5AR4 or a GZ37.

My personal favorites were Sylvania 6SN7 tubes. The early 50's GT tubes where the silver getter flash looks like it covers the entire tube almost down the plastic base had a great balanced sound I really enjoyed in that amp. They're not "mellow" per se though, most Sylvania tubes some degree of midrange or treble emphasis. Exactly where varies a lot among the different years and design variants. Arguably the best value in 6SN7s is the Tung Sol early 50's grey t-plate. Often called the "mouse ear" Tung-Sol, the ones with the same plates but missing the actual suacer shaped spacers that look like mouse ears are a total steal. They sell for cheap and sound exactly the same, and are one of the best sound 6SN7 tubes overall. Balanced, detailed with great speed and bass slam, but these are NOT a laid back tube. They have great speed and energy and are lively sounding. If you want clarity without spending a fortune this is a tremendous value in the NOS tube world.

Also, a side note about the 6SN7 and the WA6SE. You technically can run this tube but the adapters need to have an internal resistor inside to step down the voltage otherwise you will nuke the tube. It's not something I recommend unless you are comfortable and understand what's going on with the amp electrically that makes it safe or unsafe.

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #39,666 of 42,298
If mellow and rich are your highest priorities then you might like the National Union black glass 6SN7GT. Keep in mind you'll sacrifice a bit of resolution, but the mids are very euphonic and they are very mellow. They might not give you the bass you want though. A KenRad 6SN7GT will give you the bass reponse you want and is also a fairly rich sounding tube in the mids, but they can be a bit grainy on the top at times. These characteristics can be tweaked by your rectifier choice as well. If you want to make your amp more mellow you run a rectifier with high voltage drop like the 5U4G or 5R4GY (a personal favorite of mine for this amp). If you want to make the sound faster and more aggressive then run a 5AR4 or a GZ37.

Thanks a lot about thoses descriptions !
About rectifier I will have the all complete set. Good things, i will receive in the next (days/weeks) a 5931 and a Sylvania 5U4GB :) I alreay have Brimar 5ZG4Y, GZ34 (5AR4 familly), GZ32.

The "best" in voltage drop seems to be 5Y3 familly. Any opinion about them ?

My personal favorites were Sylvania 6SN7 tubes. The early 50's GT tubes where the silver getter flash looks like it covers the entire tube almost down the plastic base had a great balanced sound I really enjoyed in that amp. They're not "mellow" per se though, most Sylvania tubes some degree of midrange or treble emphasis. Exactly where varies a lot among the different years and design variants. Arguably the best value in 6SN7s is the Tung Sol early 50's grey t-plate. Often called the "mouse ear" Tung-Sol, the ones with the same plates but missing the actual suacer shaped spacers that look like mouse ears are a total steal. They sell for cheap and sound exactly the same, and are one of the best sound 6SN7 tubes overall. Balanced, detailed with great speed and bass slam, but these are NOT a laid back tube. They have great speed and energy and are lively sounding. If you want clarity without spending a fortune this are a tremendous value in the NOS tube world.

Again thank you.
I have in mind a Sylvania 6SN7WGT with a huge dome wich cover half of the tube. Brawn base, green writing.
I will look for this tung sol too :) Well if not expensive, i will must try them I suppose.

I'm ok to make some trade off. Loose micro details, soundstage or 3D.

Also, a side note about the 6SN7 and the WA6SE. You technically can run this tube but the adapters need to have an internal resistor inside to step down the voltage otherwise you will nuke the tube. It's not something I recommend unless you are comfortable and understand what's going on with the amp electrically that makes it safe or unsafe.

A really good craftsmanship and a possionate is building there :) Hope to get them soon :D

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #39,669 of 42,298
https://goo.gl/photos/5KvaYZm9nYoGUyWU9

The Psvane 274B my WA5-LE came with were OK but seemed impart some harshness to the sound. I used pair of the Brimar 5Z4G, one of which I had in my WA6. The sound was OK not great. Wooly would be the best adjective. I also had a problem with both of the tubes. One outright failed after 3 months. They other's filaments were working overtime and will fail soon. I went to new construction 5U4G EML Tubes and I've never looked back.. They put out more power and I was able to dial back the volume from 1 O'clock back to 11 O'clock. They sound clear and effortless. If anything they don't create drama, just music. Very good music at that. The new site is a pain. The image is rotated and I can't correct it easily. Nothing here works right except the advertisements.

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #39,672 of 42,298
Thanks a lot about thoses descriptions !

The "best" in voltage drop seems to be 5Y3 familly. Any opinion about them ?

5Y3G tubes have quite a bit of voltage sag under maximum load. Similar to a 5U4G but with lower max current capabilities. The WA6 only has a 36mA B+ requirement when operating with 6SN7 tubes though, and represents an easy job for any rectifier regardless of its max ratings. I actually never tried a 5Y3 in mine, I tried many rectifiers but that wasn't one of them. In the Inspire IHA-1 I found it a pleasant but soft sounding tube, and while the design is different the drive tube setup and total B+ requirement is exactly the same so the impression should carry over more or less.

If you haven't tried a good 5R4GY rectifier I highly recommend them. I think they might offer the sound you're looking for. The european ones such as Philips and Brimar are the best of the bunch, but there are some really nice sounding american made ones too. The older military tubes RCA made in the 40's and early 50's are your best bet there, and it shouldn't be hard to find one for $30 or less if you look around.

May 8, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #39,673 of 42,298
5Y3G tubes have quite a bit of voltage sag under maximum load. Similar to a 5U4G but with lower max current capabilities. The WA6 only has a 36mA B+ requirement when operating with 6SN7 tubes though, and represents an easy job for any rectifier regardless of its max ratings. I actually never tried a 5Y3 in mine, I tried many rectifiers but that wasn't one of them. In the Inspire IHA-1 I found it a pleasant but soft sounding tube, and while the design is different the drive tube setup and total B+ requirement is exactly the same so the impression should carry over more or less.

If you haven't tried a good 5R4GY rectifier I highly recommend them. I think they might offer the sound you're looking for. The european ones such as Philips and Brimar are the best of the bunch, but there are some really nice sounding american made ones too. The older military tubes RCA made in the 40's and early 50's are your best bet there, and it shouldn't be hard to find one for $30 or less if you look around.

Thank you for your advise !

Indeed I will try a 5Y3 to see the result.

I have two other rectifier to burn-in and test : GZ34 (Philipsminiwatt black base, exactly like this one : https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/9938474.jpg ) and GZ32.
The GZ34 are in the 5R4G familly so I must defenitly give it a try.

May 8, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #39,674 of 42,298
Just a quick initial impression on the Philips Miniwatt GZ34 with about 12hrs burn-in. I had my UE 596 in prior to putting the Miniwatt in, and even though there isn't nearly any sufficient burn-in on the Miniwatt, my initial impressions aren't too good as of right now. Hopefully with sufficient burn-in it will get better. I know I shouldn't be commenting so soon, but again, these are just my initial impressions, but I've heard many tubes without burn-in sound good right out of the box and only get better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back