Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 16, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #38,356 of 42,298
Hey guys I been doing a lot of research about TA-300B and I can not find how long will they last only thing I have seen that it will easily get to 10,000 hours. Does any one know the actual number?

According to western electric they have a 40,000 hour average lifespan.

http://www.westernelectric.com/support/faq.html

Jul 16, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #38,358 of 42,298
  Thank you for your reply I guess this leads to another question as what is the failure rate of this tube? I am asking this because I am thinking about buying a pair.

I need to correct what I quoted on life expectancy.  You are talking about the Takatsuki TA-300b not the Western Electric WE300b.  This makes a big difference.  Takatsuki quotes 5000 hours average lifetime of their 300b tubes.  This can very greatly depending on which amp you are running them in and how hard you run them. Environmental conditions, and power quality can make a difference too.     

Here is a link where I found the quoted lifetime from Takatsuki - https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/prefered-300b-tubes-for-canary-amplifiers

Jul 16, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #38,359 of 42,298
I need to correct what I quoted on life expectancy.  You are talking about the Takatsuki TA-300b not the Western Electric WE300b.  This makes a big difference.  Takatsuki quotes 5000 hours average lifetime of their 300b tubes.  This can very greatly depending on which amp you are running them in and how hard you run them. Environmental conditions, and power quality can make a difference too.     

Here is a link where I found the quoted lifetime from Takatsuki - https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/prefered-300b-tubes-for-canary-amplifiers

Simon tested a set that had been used for 4000 hours in his WA234 and he said they tested as new. He suspected that the TAKs would last as long as the Western Electrics.

Jul 17, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #38,360 of 42,298
my TA-300B will be here today, store gave them 70 hours burn in :p guess it won't sound bad at least XD

will try them then resume the burn in, man will be sometime before it reach 320 hours ;' )

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #38,361 of 42,298
Any reports yet on the WA22 SE from the San Fran meetup? I'm betting it sounds like a WA22 with 4 6BL7's, but quieter.

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #38,362 of 42,298
Any reports yet on the WA22 SE from the San Fran meetup? I'm betting it sounds like a WA22 with 4 6BL7's, but quieter.

Unfortunately I didn't go to the SF meet. But there is a member on the meet impressions thread that gives a short impression of the WA22SE. It's in post #32 on the thread.

$5k estimated price. Ouch! My wallet is screaming bloody murder.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/814341/official-2016-sf-head-fi-meet-impressions-thread-july-16-2016/30

Jul 17, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #38,364 of 42,298
$5K
eek.gif

That's me out. Happy with what I've got.

Jul 17, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #38,365 of 42,298
Interesting experience with a "reference" last night. Went to a wine tasting, 50 fine wines. I went to the first table and asked the host which was the finest (not the most expensive - and it wasn't) red at the tasting.  She poured a small sample. I explained I was going to use it as a reference by which to judge the other wines and judge for myself.. She thought that was a great idea. I went back about 20 minutes later when there was a small line. She was pouring the same wine and telling people to "use this as a reference so you can better judge for yourself". As the night went on, people were saying that they were using that wine as a reference and the wine they were tasting compared and went on to describe the differences. 

Interesting, yes?

Jul 17, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #38,367 of 42,298
  Interesting experience with a "reference" last night. Went to a wine tasting, 50 fine wines. I went to the first table and asked the host which was the finest (not the most expensive - and it wasn't) red at the tasting.  She poured a small sample. I explained I was going to use it as a reference by which to judge the other wines and judge for myself.. She thought that was a great idea. I went back about 20 minutes later when there was a small line. She was pouring the same wine and telling people to "use this as a reference so you can better judge for yourself". As the night went on, people were saying that they were using that wine as a reference and the wine they were tasting compared and went on to describe the differences. 

Interesting, yes?

Yes. Very interesting. Best to set a standard first.

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #38,369 of 42,298
I'm with you Badas. Woo may lower the price on the WA5-LE after they release this. I may look there if they do.

You are probably like me. One you kit out a WA22 with nice tubes and it is sounding real good then who cares about other tube amps?
I'm real happy with how my WA22 is sounding now. So why change?

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #38,370 of 42,298

Interesting, yes?

Yes!  But what was the "reference" red wine?  And how did it hold up against testing against all the others?

It's interesting that a "reference" system is one that can be used to compare (relatively) to others, but not necessarily the best in all categories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back