Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 18, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #32,806 of 42,298
I'd be happy to sit at my listening station, put on some tunes and spend the rest of the day just swivelling the top... Maybe I'm just easily amused
smily_headphones1.gif

The top of the DAC swivels ?!?!
blink.gif
- that's just too much. I have to stop researching audio gear I can never afford. It just hurts
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #32,807 of 42,298
The top of the DAC [COLOR=FF0000]swivels ?!?![/COLOR] :blink: - that's just too much. I have to stop researching audio gear I can never afford. It just hurts :tongue_smile:

We've all got to have dreams! Any yup it swivels, nice solid feel. Read the absolute sound review of it, 3rd paragraph around half way. The rotating action is certainly a selling point.

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #32,808 of 42,298
Oppo fanboys are amateurs compared to Hugo fanboys... I'm kind of disappointed Woo fanboys don't have much of a scary reputation. I think we should form a Woo gang... the W00ts? The Woo-Tang Clan?

Very good. What about Woohoo???

Hugo aye? I read some comment a bit back that the Hugo can be harsh as well. It is not often mentioned as fanboys gang up.

Seems similar to the Oppo HA-1. Stupid thing is any cheap outboard DAC vastly improves it. Get a good mid price one and the HA-1 really sings. Nothing wrong with the class A amp. That performs really well. Great enough for short listening times.

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #32,809 of 42,298
I actually really enjoyed the Oppo HA-1 as a combo DAC/amp (and space heater), and compared it head-to-head against some serious iron. Hard to beat for the price.

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #32,810 of 42,298
I actually really enjoyed the Oppo HA-1 as a combo DAC/amp (and space heater), and compared it head-to-head against some serious iron. Hard to beat for the price.

I don't dislike it. Just a little disappointed with the DAC. It can get unruly in the treble. Which sounds bright or harsh. Now I have added the Arcam to do DAC duties I like it a lot. The amp side and interface is real nice.

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #32,811 of 42,298

Yes indeed, the HA-1 does help keep us warm here during this miserable winter we are having in the Midwest !  I agree with you.  To my amateur ears (which thankfully, keep this hobby "relatively" within my monetary means!)  the HA-1 DAC/Amp combo is simply wonderful.

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #32,812 of 42,298
I'm happy with my saucy source....The Chord Electronics Blu CD Transporter linked to QBD76 DAC via dual BNC cables to give me 176kHz sampling rate.   Also looks amazing.

And if I get fed up with playing CD's I can go analogue with my Origin Live Turntable with my records being cleaned by my Keith Monks RCM.

And if I can't be bothered to take out a record or a CD I can play direct from my MacBook with files up to 196kHz with the QBD76 or higher with my Chord Chordette Qute DAC. 

Can't wait to see the new QBD DAC though i.e. a giant triple turbo charged Hugo !!!!  

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #32,813 of 42,298

Oppo fanboys are amateurs compared to Hugo fanboys... I'm kind of disappointed Woo fanboys don't have much of a scary reputation. I think we should form a Woo gang... the W00ts? The Woo-Tang Clan?

Wouldn't it be more like: Woo-Tung Clan 
popcorn.gif

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #32,814 of 42,298
my silver woo WA6SE just arrive this night with the sophia princes 274B, very happy with the sound....
Now my target is searching for good DAC, but I'm confuse to placing the DAC because my desk is running out of space.. 
Can you tell which better to have a desktop DAC or just buy AK240 and I can use it as a portable player and as a DAC for Woo WA6SE
Is the DAC section of AK240 really good enough, does its DAC section worth the price?

I am considering to buy Chord Hugo or AK240 as a DAC, because of their small form factor which would not takes much space...

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #32,815 of 42,298
my silver woo WA6SE just arrive this night with the sophia princes 274B, very happy with the sound....
Now my target is searching for good DAC, but I'm confuse to placing the DAC because my desk is running out of space.. 
Can you tell which better to have a desktop DAC or just buy AK240 and I can use it as a portable player and as a DAC for Woo WA6SE
Is the DAC section of AK240 really good enough, does its DAC section worth the price?

I am considering to buy Chord Hugo or AK240 as a DAC, because of their small form factor which would not takes much space...
I've heard the Hugo with my WA6, and if you can swing it I'd definitely say get the Hugo. I'd also recommend the Moon Audio RCA ~ RCA cables, they're kinda pricey but they fit the Hugo perfectly. Then of course I'll be green with envy.

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #32,816 of 42,298

From my experience with DAC's for a desk top rig I would either get;

1)  A second hand QBD76 either the first version or HD or HDSD although the HDSD is still expensive.  If you buy the first version you can always upgrade in the future.  Yiu can also go balanced if you upgrade your amp in the future. 

2) Buy a second hand Chord Chordette Qute 

3) Buy a new Chord Chordette 2Qute  (out soon)

4) Second hand  Arcam FMJ D33 DAC.   

I have a WA6 SE and have used it with my QBD76 and Qute DAC.    Sound is very clear and transparent without being too clinical with good sound stage.  

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #32,817 of 42,298

From my experience with DAC's for a desk top rig I would either get;

1)  A second hand QBD76 either the first version or HD or HDSD although the HDSD is still expensive.  If you buy the first version you can always upgrade in the future.  Yiu can also go balanced if you upgrade your amp in the future. 

2) Buy a second hand Chord Chordette Qute 

3) Buy a new Chord Chordette 2Qute  (out soon)

4) Second hand  Arcam FMJ D33 DAC.   

I have a WA6 SE and have used it with my QBD76 and Qute DAC.    Sound is very clear and transparent without being too clinical with good sound stage.  

Reason I also mention the Arcam FMJ D33 DAC is I have heard it a headfi.org members house connected to a KGST amp and Stax 009 headphones.   It sounded very nice.  Smooth, clear and neutral with a nice non fatiguing musical felling to it with good soundstage.   Would be interesting to how it would sound with a WA6 SE or any other Woo tube amp.  

FYI I also found the Chord Chordette Qute DAC linked to my WA3 also sounded very nice for what the amp cost even with upgraded tubes.  

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #32,818 of 42,298

Reason I also mention the Arcam FMJ D33 DAC is I have heard it a headfi.org members house connected to a KGST amp and Stax 009 headphones.   It sounded very nice.  Smooth, clear and neutral with a nice non fatiguing musical felling to it with good soundstage.   Would be interesting to how it would sound with a WA6 SE or any other Woo tube amp.  

FYI I also found the Chord Chordette Qute DAC linked to my WA3 also sounded very nice for what the amp cost even with upgraded tubes.  

A lot of the tech in the Arcam FMJ D33 DAC was filtered down to the Arcam irDAC that I have just received. The DAC is going through big changes as it burns in however I like what I'm hearing. A lot similar to what you have mentioned above.

I would really like to get the Chord one day tho. I will put some $$'s aside and watch the second hand market.
wink_face.gif

The DAC change has taken the WA22 to whole new level.

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #32,820 of 42,298

A lot of the tech in the Arcam FMJ D33 DAC was filtered down to the Arcam irDAC that I have just received. The DAC is going through big changes as it burns in however I like what I'm hearing. A lot similar to what you have mentioned above.

I would really like to get the Chord one day tho. I will put some $$'s aside and watch the second hand market.
wink_face.gif

The DAC change has taken the WA22 to whole new level.

Will be interesting Badas how the irDAC will sound with the WA22 when it has fully burned in.

The first version of the QBD76 can be had for a song on the second hand market along with the Blu Transporter.   Last year I purchased my second mint condition 3 year old QBD76 in the UK for £1,500 and last week I bought my second mint condition Blu Transporter for £1,400 both with the Chord boxes.   As the Chord Electronics equipment is so well built and designed you don't have to worry about lasting quality and performance etc.   Chord Electronics also have a fantastic after sales service so you also have that piece of mind.  The Blu with the QBD76 is just awesome.  In my opinion it beats hi-res digital files hands down as it has more of an analogue feel to the sound.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back