Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 9, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #32,686 of 42,298
TonyN, I use Sophia Electric 6SN7's in my WA6. They have several hundred hours on them and I think that they're a wonderful pairing with the USAF 596 rectifier. Next stop Brimar.

I found them a little dry and cloudy - but it is ages since I have used them - I will try again this weekend.

One thing I have learned is that initial impressions can be misleading with tubes. No harm in giving them another go.

I don't have a 596 (only in my dreams) - but I will pair it with the Brimar and the PSvane WE274B replica (for a darker rectifier) in my WA6 and see what happens.

I hope my first impressions of the TJ/SE 6SN7 were wrong - it would be great to have a good sounding new production 6SN7.

Feb 9, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #32,688 of 42,298
  I'm going to switch back to the UE-596 tonight and listen for the next week.
This is how I'm able to tell their differences best. 

I'll give them a week also - must not rush to judgement on these.

I would be thrilled to be wrong in my first impression of these tubes. I think the hobby needs a good sounding new production 6SN7 rather desperately. NOS are only going to get more expensive.

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #32,689 of 42,298
  I'll give them a week also - must not rush to judgement on these.

I would be thrilled to be wrong in my first impression of these tubes. I think the hobby needs a good sounding new production 6SN7 rather desperately. NOS are only going to get more expensive.

I'm not sure if you misread my post, but I'm switching the Brimar for the UE-596 and keeping the NOS Sylvania 6SN7 "Bad Boys" in. I don't own any "new production" 6SN7/5692 tubes...their all NOS from the 1960's.

Your right, I don't see any UE-596 tubes for sale.

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #32,690 of 42,298
  I'm not sure if you misread my post, but I'm switching the Brimar for the UE-596 and keeping the NOS Sylvania 6SN7 "Bad Boys" in. I don't own any "new production" 6SN7/5692 tubes...their all NOS from the 1960's.

Your right, I don't see any UE-596 tubes for sale.

Apologies - my bad - got my threads crossed.

No matter - it's a good excuse to try the SE6SN7s again and see what happens.

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #32,691 of 42,298
Hi Everyone:

FYI I use to own a WA-22 and then upgraded to a WA5 which I was using for my LCD-3's. When I heard of the UE 596 I purchased 10 sets so that I would have them for the future as I knew they were out of production.  
I have since updated to a BHSE (on the way, been on the list for over 1 year) and the Stax 009's which I found were an improvement over my WA5 and LCD3's so I sold the LCD3's and the WA5. So I still have tubes available if anyone is interested in them. Just PM and we can work something out.

Thanks.

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #32,692 of 42,298
  Hi Everyone:

FYI I use to own a WA-22 and then upgraded to a WA5 which I was using for my LCD-3's. When I heard of the UE 596 I purchased 10 sets so that I would have them for the future as I knew they were out of production.  
I have since updated to a BHSE (on the way, been on the list for over 1 year) and the Stax 009's which I found were an improvement over my WA5 and LCD3's so I sold the LCD3's and the WA5. So I still have tubes available if anyone is interested in them. Just PM and we can work something out.

Thanks.

I predict a PM storm.  Lots of people who missed out on the 596 before it got rare seem to be looking.

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #32,693 of 42,298
Rumble, keep a note of who you sell them to and rat them out to the board if you see anyone flipping them on eBay. Because that wouldn't be cool. :)

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #32,694 of 42,298
  Rumble, keep a note of who you sell them to and rat them out to the board if you see anyone flipping them on eBay. Because that wouldn't be cool. :)

By all means I do not disagree with your post...but if someone bought something from the F/S Forum on H-F and flipped it on eBay what would this have to do with H-F? 
smile.gif

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #32,695 of 42,298
No matter - it's a good excuse to try the SE6SN7s again and see what happens.
Buy all means TonyN give those S/E 6SN7 tubes another go. My satisfaction with the S/E's could definetly be because of their specific synergy with the other links in my playback chain and the music I listen to. Then again I don't soar in the rarified air of super high-end audiophilia that you do. JK! Of course I can see sixty years old coming around the bend and I've had my ears too close to the speakers for far to long.

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #32,696 of 42,298
  By all means I do not disagree with your post...but if someone bought something from the F/S Forum on H-F and flipped it on eBay what would this have to do with H-F? 
smile.gif

I'm pretty sure that's a bannable offense to flip from the F/S Forum to eBay. Jude, of course, makes the rules.

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #32,697 of 42,298

I'm pretty sure that's a bannable offense to flip from the F/S Forum to eBay. Jude, of course, makes the rules.

Its definitely not a cool thing to do to the H-F community...I was under the impression that you couldn't sell something on the F/S Forum on H-F above its retail price...but I'm not sure either, thats why I was wondering what eBay had to do with your post, thanks. 
smile.gif

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #32,698 of 42,298
  Its definitely not a cool thing to do to the H-F community...I was under the impression that you couldn't sell something on the F/S Forum on H-F above its retail price...but I'm not sure either, thats why I was wondering what eBay had to do with your post, thanks. 
smile.gif

+1.

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #32,700 of 42,298
  anyone can compare the WA22 and the Schiit Rangarok?

One is a tube amp and the other is a solid-state amp. It's like asking "can anyone compare men and women" or "can anyone compare the color red to the color blue"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back