Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 6, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #32,056 of 42,298
Tube updates:

Hurry...before this cafe is overrun by the morning rush crowd!
popcorn.gif

Guess I can always return tomorrow night...
rolleyes.gif

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #32,057 of 42,298

There is something that I didn't mention in my comparison of the SERPs vs Psvane replicas, as it is a total non-issue for me, but I have read comments/reviews from other folks who have found it to be a problem. Tonal balance / tonal emphasis in the SERPs.

The replicas have a tonal emphasis exactly where you would expect a WE300B replica to have one - smack in the vocal range. This is part of what makes them slightly better for vocal centric tracks IMHO - the other part is the extra level of velvety smoothness they give to the vocals (female vocals in particular).

The SERPs seem to have a tonal emphasis slightly above the vocal range - somewhere in the high upper mids / lower treble (8-10kHz?). This is probably not ideal, but I find it a non-issue because:
  • I rarely notice it unless I go for searching for it, and
  • It does not interfere with my enjoyment of the music.

These are very subtle effects to my ears, and I really hesitate to mention it at all, as it might give the impression of being a serious flaw in the SERPs. I don't think it is.

If I am listening critically for the purpose of comparing / reviewing tubes, then I will notice the SERPs having a tonal emphasis that is a little off to my ears, but if I am listening for enjoyment of the music, then I rarely notice it (if at all).

If you think that the above issue might be a problem for you, then I would recommend the Psvane WE300B replicas instead (or try the EML 300B mesh ... etc). The SERPs do so many things right that it might be a mistake to pass on them for this reason, but everyone's tastes and preferences are different. YMMV.

If there is a HeadFi Virus out there I am totaly infected with it
atsmile.gif

After some sleepless nights I just ordered a WA5 from Woo Audio and I am looking forward to get my new piece of gear..

And I also ordered some Tubes at the shop from Langrex (UK) The very good and cheap Brimar 5Z4G CV1863 and a quad 6SN7GT/B65/CV1988 VINTAGE COSSOR 1950'S NOS. After I will get the 6SN7 adaptors I would like to use it in my WA6 as well. And a I also ordered a matched quad ECC83 PHILIPS MINIWATT VINTAGE NOS for my Woo Audio GES.

My challenge is now to find the right 300B for the WA5
confused_face_2.gif

@ Tony: I read your very good comparison of the Psvane 300B Replica and the SERP´s. This two are on my shortlist. I am listen to a lot of singer&sogwriter music (male+female) and you wrote that this is special with the replica but you write so good about the SERP´s that I maybe prefer this 300B. Could you tell me how big the difference in special with female voices is. What is your prefered music?

I have the chance to get a used matched Pair of SERP´s with about 100h on it for I think a reasonable Price (a litle bit cheaper that the Replica)

I don´t want more sleepless nights :wink:

I am totaly insane I started with HeadFi in August last year....
blink.gif
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #32,058 of 42,298
Jan 6, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #32,059 of 42,298
Unfreaking believable! Seventy some years later and seeing what looks to be a Swastika on the tube kinda gives me a chill.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #32,060 of 42,298
@ Tony: I read your very good comparison of the Psvane 300B Replica and the SERP´s. This two are on my shortlist. I am listen to a lot of singer&sogwriter music (male+female) and you wrote that this is special with the replica but you write so good about the SERP´s that I maybe prefer this 300B. Could you tell me how big the difference in special with female voices is. What is your prefered music?

90% of my listening is vocal-centric. If you have a chance to get a good deal on a pair of SERPs I would go for it - they are very fine tubes.

They beat the replicas in extension and detail, and have a darker tonal presentation (which I like). The replicas are slightly better in the vocal range, but really this is hair splitting. These tubes are very similar to my ears - either will do a good job with vocal centric listening.

EDIT - I don't know what the pricing and availability is in your part of the world, but if Elrog 300Bs are an option I would seriously consider those over anything else. My next (and hopefully last for a long time) 300B purchase will be Elrogs.

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #32,061 of 42,298

90% of my listening is vocal-centric. If you have a chance to get a good deal on a pair of SERPs I would go for it - they are very fine tubes.

They beat the replicas in extension and detail, and have a darker tonal presentation (which I like). The replicas are slightly better in the vocal range, but really this is hair splitting. These tubes are very similar to my ears - either will do a good job with vocal centric listening.

EDIT - I don't know what the pricing and availability is in your part of the world, but if Elrog 300Bs are an option I would seriously consider those over anything else. My next (and hopefully last for a long time) 300B purchase will be Elrogs.

My wife shakes her head in disbelief everytime  i say  Thats it im good for a long time now. I told her i was going to start training her in vacuum tube recognition ,boy is she going to be busy when i kick the bucket .

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #32,062 of 42,298
Clayton, we corresponded back in 2009 regarding our love for everything WA22, and I also live in San Francisco.

I just received an email from Jack Woo. AudioVision is having an event on Jan 15, and some of his products will be on demo. He is looking into the possibility of having them demo the WES + SR009 and WA234 Mono. I've expressed interest in both amps, but my schedule has never synced up with Jack at previous audio events. This could finally be my opportunity!

I told him that if he can only arrange one demo, at this point in time I am more interested in hearing the WA234. If you are at all interested in attending the event, why don't you give AudioVision a call or send an email, and ask for Antonio or Randy. I'm going to do the same.

And if there are any other Woo Audio owners in the Bay Area with interest, please contact them as well.

-Gerry

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #32,063 of 42,298
Unfreaking believable! Seventy some years later and seeing what looks to be a Swastika on the tube kinda gives me a chill.

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #32,064 of 42,298
  My wife shakes her head in disbelief everytime  i say  Thats it im good for a long time now. I told her i was going to start training her in vacuum tube recognition ,boy is she going to be busy when i kick the bucket .

Learning to stop is the trick. I got a taste for HeadFi and bought a WA6 + HD600. Then before I can blink I ended up with a bevy of amps and headphones. WA5 is my end games (really) - no more amps for me. Only upgrade I am considering is the Elrog tubes.

Doesn't stop me lusting after the WA234 - but it's "look, don't touch"
wink_face.gif

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #32,065 of 42,298
Jan 6, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #32,066 of 42,298

Learning to stop is the trick. I got a taste for HeadFi and bought a WA6 + HD600. Then before I can blink I ended up with a bevy of amps and headphones. WA5 is my end games (really) - no more amps for me. Only upgrade I am considering is the Elrog tubes.

Doesn't stop me lusting after the WA234 - but it's "look, don't touch"
wink_face.gif

Have the same paradox regrading the WA234 ! 

I need to find out myself how good the WA234 is to a maxxed WA5 both with tube upgrades and also connected to a Wee running Stax 009's vs the Woo WES and BHSE !  
Problem is I reside in the UK and South of Spain so demoing the Woo beauties is near impossible and the prospect of buying the WA234 before I have heard it is daunting for the outlay !  

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #32,067 of 42,298
  Have the same paradox regrading the WA234 !

I need to find out myself how good the WA234 is to a maxxed WA5 both with tube upgrades and also connected to a Wee running Stax 009's vs the Woo WES and BHSE !
Problem is I reside in the UK and South of Spain so demoing the Woo beauties is near impossible and the prospect of buying the WA234 before I have heard it is daunting for the outlay !

There have been snippets of feedback on these topics spread around the forums. I have never heard a BHSE or a WA234, so I am paraphrasing the feedback from others below - so take it all with a BIG, HUGE grain of salt:

1. WA5 / WA234 can be more musical and engaging than the BHSE + SR009 (depending on personal tastes, of course).
  2. BHSE + SR009 is technically trumps - for detail and transparency it is king, but if you are looking for musicality and engagement a WA234 (or a WA5) might be better.
  3. WA234 with stock tubes is on par with a WA5 with upgraded tubes. When you consider how putrid the Woo stock tubes are, this is quite a statement for the WA234.

Never heard much on A/B comparison of the WA5 with and without the parts upgrade. No idea if it really makes a significant difference to SQ. Mine is stock.

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #32,068 of 42,298

Never heard much on A/B comparison of the WA5 with and without the parts upgrade. No idea if it really makes a significant difference to SQ. Mine is stock.

That makes me fell better - mine is stock also

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #32,069 of 42,298

There have been snippets of feedback on these topics spread around the forums. I have never heard a BHSE or a WA234, so I am paraphrasing the feedback from others below - so take it all with a BIG, HUGE grain of salt:

1. WA5 / WA234 can be more musical and engaging than the BHSE + SR009 (depending on personal tastes, of course).
  2. BHSE + SR009 is technically trumps - for detail and transparency it is king, but if you are looking for musicality and engagement a WA234 (or a WA5) might be better.
  3. WA234 with stock tubes is on par with a WA5 with upgraded tubes. When you consider how putrid the Woo stock tubes are, this is quite a statement for the WA234.

Thank you TonyNewman for your post.   Much appreciated. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #32,070 of 42,298
Well, it was bound to happen... I added a Sonos Connect box to my head-fi desk rig and the Wi-Fi activity is causing a lot of audible microphonics from the tubes.

Probably the answer is to run an Ether-hose to the Sonos (and, I suppose, my MacBook) and that will be that. But, I've noticed that I can place an object between the Sonos and the new Tung-Sol 5998 and the artifact ceases (or dramatically reduces to almost inaudible).

So, my question is this: does anyone out there place any kind of shielding around their tubes to protect against stray EMI/RFI and its negative impact on the tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back