Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 6, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #31,711 of 42,298

Tech Specs

- Sensitivity (2.83V/1m): 93dB
- Nominal impedance: 4Ω

I wonder would they be ok with WA5 - I think the 5 wants to see 8 ohms. 

The Klipschorns...
  1. SENSITIVITY: 105dB @ 1watt/1meter
  2. NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms

Thank you grokit for your post.  Much appreciated. 

Im listening to my WEE now and it sounds very nice across all genres I listen to.  

Yes I can imagine a WA5 and a WES would be a great set-up…best of all worlds that can run any HP very well on the planet !  

My QBD76 DAC has both balanced XLR's and single RCA's that can run simultaneously so I could have both the WA5 and WES running together.  

I have been doing this today running my WEE with my 009's connected to my Cyan Click single input (can also run balanced which is far better than single) and my WA22 balanced with my HD650's at the same time.   

I'm glad I could be of help. Like yourself, I built a system that could drive any headphone well and the WEE was the electrostatic component, coming off a speaker amp that was set up to drive HE6/K1K. I started with some Lambdas that I think the WEE got more out of, but the 009 is a very special headphone that just keeps giving back the more you feed it. When I demo'd the Liquid Lightning the difference was so profound that it traumatized me to the point of nearly driving me out of this damn hobby! Now that I'm back I have no pretenses about this; I have more appreciation than ever for what I have, but I also have been to the top of the mountain and the view is spectacular. I'm sure the BHSE is excellent but if I was to go tube for the 009 I would definitely go with the WES, and with a tube front end I would certainly look into the liquid lightning or the thunderbolt. To be honest I am not current on what else might be available in the solid-state electrostatic realm these days, because I still haven't ventured back into that part of my system yet.

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #31,713 of 42,298
  Any recommendations for 300bs for the WA5?

Looking for something well balanced but on the bright side. No harshness but nice treble extension and airy presentation.

Got some RCA 5U4Gs and Sylvania 6SN7s already.

Pairing with HE500/LCD2s for now, eventually looking at the HE6s and the HD800s.

Based on your description IMO the EAT will fit the bill.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Dec 6, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #31,714 of 42,298

The Klipschorns...
  1. SENSITIVITY: 105dB @ 1watt/1meter
  2. NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms

When I demo'd the Liquid Lightning the difference was so profound that it traumatized me to the point of nearly driving me out of this damn hobby!

Are the Klipschorns more than 10k? 

​And why did the lightning nearly drive you out of the hobby - because is was so good or not so good? Were you coming from WA5?

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #31,715 of 42,298
Anyone know what the recommend impedance range for wa5 low and high setting?

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #31,716 of 42,298
Dec 6, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #31,717 of 42,298
I hear people saying that the WA5 outputs 8 watts per channel for speakers but on the Woo site it says 10 watts. Has Jack made changes to amp recently? I'm thinking maybe people with the older version of the WA5 only have 8 watts of speaker power. Or maybe its a typo on the site? 

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #31,718 of 42,298
  Are the Klipschorns more than 10k? 

​And why did the lightning nearly drive you out of the hobby - because is was so good or not so good? Were you coming from WA5?

I think the retail is 4.5k each these days for the Klipschorns.

The lightning with the 009 fully balanced through my gungnir/gcph and my modded wa22 preamp is the best system I've ever heard, and I have still not fully recovered from it! I feel bed because I wrote a long review of the ll and never finished it, I need to get back to that side of things at some point but I'm really enjoying what I have now -- maybe more than ever.

When I get an extra 6.5k or whatever I may make the switch but there's more to it than that, I may just stay where I am because even though that was an awesome system I would never be able to appreciate my dynamic headphones after that. I'm not sure I want to upset the status quo so much at this point in time. It's more of a personal choice related to downsizing and consumption, I went a little crazy with this hobby for a while and for now I am lowering my footprint and simplifying some things. But never say never!

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #31,719 of 42,298
  Based on your description IMO the EAT will fit the bill.

+1 on the EAT. A very well balanced, airy and detailed sound - perhaps more transparent than bright to my ears. They certainly don't bring much tube warmth to the game. Nearest thing to solid state I have heard in a 300B (and I mean that in a good way).

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #31,720 of 42,298
Had some problems with a new Tung Sol 6SN7 RP BG yesterday, it went noisy so took it out and swapped it over for an RCA, thing is I forgot to turn the other amp off and pulled the other 6SN7 out !! Immediately turned the amp off and miraculously no damage to either tube or the amp.

Don't recommend hot swapping valves. Raises the heart beat somewhat. maybe its a Woo feature :)

Very strange is I could hear a tingling sound form the noisy TS so laid it down for the night and plugged it back in this morning. More miracles ! So far so good it works okay today.

Weird but true.

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #31,721 of 42,298
Tube amps really must be designed to be resilient to tubes suddenly not working, or otherwise every time a tube burned out you'd have to replace the amp. And I would think yanking a tube would be the equivalent of a tube burning out (stop passing current). I had a 6SN7 in my WA5 burn-out recently, the glass cracked and suddenly that channel went out completely... but the amp was fine.

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #31,722 of 42,298
  Had some problems with a new Tung Sol 6SN7 RP BG yesterday, it went noisy so took it out and swapped it over for an RCA, thing is I forgot to turn the other amp off and pulled the other 6SN7 out !! Immediately turned the amp off and miraculously no damage to either tube or the amp.

Don't recommend hot swapping valves. Raises the heart beat somewhat. maybe its a Woo feature :)

Very strange is I could hear a tingling sound form the noisy TS so laid it down for the night and plugged it back in this morning. More miracles ! So far so good it works okay today.

Weird but true.

Your lucky - id say you were scared ****less. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #31,723 of 42,298
  Tube amps really must be designed to be resilient to tubes suddenly not working, or otherwise every time a tube burned out you'd have to replace the amp. And I would think yanking a tube would be the equivalent of a tube burning out (stop passing current). I had a 6SN7 in my WA5 burn-out recently, the glass cracked and suddenly that channel went out completely... but the amp was fine.

Hopefully that true - its good news for us tube heads if it is

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #31,724 of 42,298
  Your lucky - id say you were scared ****less. 

Yes, something like that ! 

More amazed that the bloody thing didn't blow up and you can just imagine how much more incredulous I was this morning when the defunct TS magically came back to life.

Maybe I need a medium.

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #31,725 of 42,298

Yes, something like that ! 

More amazed that the bloody thing didn't blow up and you can just imagine how much more incredulous I was this morning when the defunct TS magically came back to life.

Maybe I need a medium.

haha. It just started working again? That's tubes for ya I suppose. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back