Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 16, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #29,776 of 42,299
I own the LE because when I bought it the HE-6 was not even out yet (it was a prototype only back then). The LE does not have an output for the K1000 so the output is not as high as the WA5.

In my experience the LE can drive the HE-6 ok depending on the driver tubes but still not to the level the WA5 can do it out of the K1000 output. I have driven the HE-6 with my EML 300B, USF 596 and Sylvania 6SN7WGT Brown base/Chrome tops out of the High Impedance output fine but if I would have the chance to make the purchase again I clearly would go with the WA5.

I own the LE because when I bought it the HE-6 was not even out yet (it was a prototype only back then). The LE does not have an output for the K1000 so the output is not as high as the WA5.

In my experience the LE can drive the HE-6 ok depending on the driver tubes but still not to the level the WA5 can do it out of the K1000 output. I have driven the HE-6 with my EML 300B, USF 596 and Sylvania 6SN7WGT Brown base/Chrome tops out of the High Impedance output fine but if I would have the chance to make the purchase again I clearly would go with the WA5.

The HE6 to Wa5 is the best thing I ever heard next to the hd800 to Wa234.

The WA5 is what I use ti drive the HE6 and it does it easily and with terrific musicality.

I agree. HE6 + WA5 (with the right choice of tubes) leaves very little to be desired. I enjoy it more than my SR009 + SRM007TA setup. It is less detailed than the 009 but far more tactile and musical.

Thanks to all that replied. I will have to save up for the WA5 now I guess. I am glad it pairs well. I was almost certain of buying it till I read Mike from headfonia saying that orthos and the HE6 especially does not pair well with the HE6. Glad that it goes. See you guys in a few months with my loot. Haha.

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #29,777 of 42,299
For deeper bass, you need the GEC 6AS7G. It is quality not quantity, the WA22 is bass light with HD800.

+1

those GEC 6080 have pretty nice bass too, but not as extended. tung sol 5998 isn't bad either imo. 

rectifier must be mighty 596 for depth but lightness, gz34 for a little more punch,  cossor GZ37 for quantity, or western 422A for extension and finesse.

overall though the wa22 is still kinda lean on the bass since it will focus more on the mids and soundstage.

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #29,779 of 42,299
  Have read some nice things about the RCA 6AS7G bass & was thinking of adding it to my collection. Any experience with these.

BTW am  amazed by the RCA 54UG, wasn't expecting so much quality for the price.

yeah alot of people  like them, even prefer over tung sol 5998 due to the fact that is a warm sounding tube that still remains fairly neutral.

i however, find it mediocre, it lacks transparency and theres always a sort of grain/cheap feeling in the high, though they are not fatiguing of course, it still bothers me enough to not like the tube a whole lot. not as good as tung sol 5998 basically.

its an entry level tube i think, but it is interesting being slightly warmer than alot of other tubes. GEC 6080 is another option, being similar in sound but much much better sounding.

RCA 5U4G smooth is pretty nice, it surprised me as well, bargain tube, sounded quite similar to RK60 actually. well rounded sound with no major flaws. personally i think its a good tube for people to consider since it doesn't cost much. though for a little more money u can always get the GZ32.

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #29,780 of 42,299
Hi guys, I know this might be a stupid question but bear with me. I know the WA7 is a dac/amp combo, but if we're talking only about the amp section, which one do you think is better, the WA3/WA6 or the WA7? The WA7 does cost more than WA3/WA6, but I'm not entirely convinced that it is a better AMP than the WA3/WA6. Is that weird? Any thoughts would be appreciated, cheers.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #29,781 of 42,299
Well I've never heard the WA7/3, but I have the WA6 and absolutely love it!
The WA7 is supposed to be a really nice amp/dac combo. I never really heard/read much about the WA3, so I can't comment. In the end I think it would come down too sound preference.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #29,782 of 42,299
[COLOR=141823]Hi guys, I know this might be a stupid question but bear with me. I know the WA7 is a dac/amp combo, but if we're talking only about the amp section, which one do you think is better, the WA3/WA6 or the WA7? The WA7 does cost more than WA3/WA6, but I'm not entirely convinced that it is a better AMP than the WA3/WA6. Is that weird? Any thoughts would be appreciated, cheers.[/COLOR]

The Wa2 would be the better one for your hd800s. The new Wa7 power supply is sopposed to improve the Wa7 though I've never heard it with it.

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #29,784 of 42,299
There are a few things to consider beyond what has already been mentioned. First, the price of tubes should be considered. A WA6 with upgraded tubes sounds much better than the WA7 with the stock tubes for the same money. Second, the WA7 does not require cables between the DAC and amp. Figure on a couple hundred bucks for appropriate IC cables (oh yeah, figure in the cost of a DAC, too!). So $ for $, the WA7 is a bargain. The WA6, though, has the benefit of an output transformer. Some love the distortion characteristics of an OT (I do!!!) and a number of high end audio companies use OTs in their SS amps to add tubey sweetness! McIntosh is the most notorious for this practice. I traded up to the WA22 from the WA6 and the OT in the WA6 compares very favorably to the (2) OTs in the WA22. For my tastes (and for my HD800s), I want an output transformer-coupled amp every time. I am not knocking OTLs in any way. I'm just pointing out that you need to be aware of the stark difference in design and sound characteristics. It less a matter of better or worse. It's a matter of preference.

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #29,785 of 42,299
Nicely stated!

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #29,787 of 42,299
One thing you forget to mention OT does not have the bass authority of the OTL amp when driving the HD800.

Good point. The top end can be rolled off with certain amps/tubes, too. I would point out though that HD800s aren't the poster child for authoritative bass reproduction so those that favor HD800s tend to be indifferent to that sort of shortfall. It also bears stating that tube selection can add quite a bit of bass energy to the WA6. Your comment casts into sharper relief my earlier point that the trade offs between the WA7 and the WA6 goes beyond a simple better/worse summation. If we are going to negate the DAC costs in our comparison (which would be the case if we consider the WA2), the WA6-SE comes into play. That amp has more output power at 300 ohms than any other Woo amp. The bass response of that amp is well documented to be quite ample with most tube choices. So not all OT amps lack bass extension and power. You just need a big one! :grinning:

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #29,788 of 42,299

One thing you forget to mention OT does not have the bass authority of the OTL amp when driving the HD800.

Good point. The top end can be rolled off with certain amps/tubes, too. I would point out though that HD800s aren't the poster child for authoritative bass reproduction so those that favor HD800s tend to be indifferent to that sort of shortfall. It also bears stating that tube selection can add quite a bit of bass energy to the WA6. Your comment casts into sharper relief my earlier point that the trade offs between the WA7 and the WA6 goes beyond a simple better/worse summation. If we are going to negate the DAC costs in our comparison (which would be the case if we consider the WA2), the WA6-SE comes into play. That amp has more output power at 300 ohms than any other Woo amp. The bass response of that amp is well documented to be quite ample with most tube choices. So not all OT amps lack bass extension and power. You just need a big one! :grinning:

I thought I'd add to this thread...just received my HD800 after several years of procrastinating given the general sense of a "bright and bass shy" HP.  My amps are Woo WA6SE and WA22 with various tubes along with a Benchmark DAC2 HGC and Grace 903.  Well, I'm quite surprised and pleased.  I'm very susceptible to raspy/sibilant phones (Grado 325 chief among them) and I find that HD800 to be detailed and very airy but not objectionably bright.  The bass response is more than adequate and very natural, no lack of low end for me.  In fact, after 3 days of serious listening I'm thinking these are my favorite phones (compared to Audeze LCD-X and Hifiman 500).  Now, can I optimize with my equipment?  Yes, prefer the HD800 with the Grace as opposed to the Benchmark with either Woo.  I can further refine with the right mix of tubes but at the moment quite pleased with the sound staging and openness of the 800.  I contribute my satisfaction to the Woo's, the 800 is a keeper for me.  Note:  the deal for the 800 included the Senn balanced cable "free".  Waiting for the backorder to determine if that has any effect with the WA22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back