Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 15, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #29,296 of 42,298
  Using the Wa22 tonight with the upgrade tubes and the LCD X balanced with the Oppo BDP 105 balanced. Sound excellent

Great to hear! Wishfully, I'll wait around for a WA5/HE-6 versus WA5/LCD-X comparison. No worries, I'll have tea while I wait. 
normal_smile .gif

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #29,297 of 42,298
Frank I, I cleaned the pins on the tube today and when I powered the amp up tonight this time as the tube warmed up I heard the noise, and then it went away for the hour and a half that I listened for. I don't know whats going on with it, but I'll live with it, I really like the way these tubes sound, plus like I said, I don't hear it at all when the music is playing. Thank again for your suggestions, I appreciate your help!

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #29,298 of 42,298
WA5/LE
WA22
WA6SE
WA2
WA6

IMHO, these are my ranking.

I actually preferred the WA3 over WA6 for HD800 (stock tubes), could be preference factor though. Anyway, new WA3 owner here, and a happy owner I am
biggrin.gif
 Hopefully going to stay with Woo Audio amps for my future upgrades.

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #29,299 of 42,298
  Great to hear! Wishfully, I'll wait around for a WA5/HE-6 versus WA5/LCD-X comparison. No worries, I'll have tea while I wait. 
normal_smile%20.gif

I am reviewing the LCD X for audio360.org and it will be posted on headfi as well. There will be about 4 of us doing the lCD X comments on audio 360 so stay tuned. It promises to be a big event.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #29,300 of 42,298
Can anyone recommend me good drive tubes for WA3 that don't cost more than $200 USD a pair? cheaper option is preferable. Also I plan to get the Tung Sol 7236 Nos as it is recommended by Woo, is that a good plan? Thanks in advance.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #29,301 of 42,298
  I would try to clean the pins to see if it still does that after a good cleaning. Use steel wool on the pins or an old trick is use a pencil eraser on the pins and see if they are clean. if that does not solve the issuethe tube could need replacing. 

I've bought a number of tubes since purchasing my WA22 a year ago and I have the same problem with several of them. I have two different rectifiers that buzz, both tubes in a pair of drivers and one power tube of a pair that I purchased that buzzes. I've been an audiophile for decades but am a newbie in the world of NOS tubes. If the pins are clean and the tube was advertised as NOS should I have returned it to the seller as defective? Maybe that type/manufacturer will always buzz in my amp? Suck it up and accept that's going to happen from time to time when buying vintage tubes? Thanks.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #29,302 of 42,298

I've bought a number of tubes since purchasing my WA22 a year ago and I have the same problem with several of them. I have two different rectifiers that buzz, both tubes in a pair of drivers and one power tube of a pair that I purchased that buzzes. I've been an audiophile for decades but am a newbie in the world of NOS tubes. If the pins are clean and the tube was advertised as NOS should I have returned it to the seller as defective? Maybe that type/manufacturer will always buzz in my amp? Suck it up and accept that's going to happen from time to time when buying vintage tubes? Thanks.

The tubes should not buzz. The problem when you buy on Ebay is unless you have  a tester it is always a crap shoot unless your buying from seller with lots of positive feedback and a good return policy. The WA22 I have here is dead silent and I been swapping tubes from my collection and there is no noise. Do you have an issue with all rectifier?   What are the tubes you are using that are causing the issues?  Run that by me and lets see if we can get to the problem and help you correct it.

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #29,303 of 42,298
  still looking at new car possibilities.... now i'm thinking of this but worried about its costs and reliability 
frown.gif

V6 of course, don't want the hemi.

have you ever seen one of these in person?  they are flippin HUGE.  

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #29,304 of 42,298

The thought also crossed my mind to contact the seller because these were purchased as NOS and their less than a month old. But the noise seems to be coming and going, so I'll live with it. But I would say that I disagree with you saying this is going to happen from time to time, they should be dead silent, like my new 6EW7's from Woo are.

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #29,305 of 42,298
Joseph,

We did not sell you the tubes. The other tubes we sent you were dead silent. Maybe you misunderstood but when you buy on ebay  the quality is not always good. We test our tubes and we make sure we are sending out quality to our customers and we guarantee them. When you buy from Ebay and have no tester expect thing to happen unless you're dealing with a seller who has lots of positive feedback and if there is an issue you need to send them to the seller.  

You should still contact the seller and tell him you're not satisfied.

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #29,306 of 42,298
  Joseph,

We did not sell you the tubes. The other tubes we sent you were dead silent. Maybe you misunderstood but when you buy on ebay  the quality is not always good. We test our tubes and we make sure we are sending out quality to our customers and we guarantee them. When you buy from Ebay and have no tester expect thing to happen unless you're dealing with a seller who has lots of positive feedback and if there is an issue you need to send them to the seller.  

You should still contact the seller and tell him you're not satisfied.

Frank, you misunderstood what I said. I didn't say you sold me the 6SN7's, I said that they should be dead silent like the 6EW7's that I purchased from Woo, which are dead silent. 
Besides if I had an issue with a company, I would never speak badly about them on the forum, I would contact them, sorry for your misunderstanding, my comment was a POSITIVE one reffereing to Woo, thanks Joseph.

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #29,307 of 42,298
  Frank, you misunderstood what I said. I didn't say you sold me the 6SN7's, I said that they should be dead silent like the 6EW7's that I purchased from Woo, which are dead silent. 
Besides if I had an issue with a company, I would never speak badly about them on the forum, I would contact them, sorry for your misunderstanding, my comment was a POSITIVE one reffereing to Woo, thanks Joseph.

Maybe I misunderstood. Sorry for the confusion and you should still contact that seller. Maybe he will replace them for you if he has more. If you would like us to test the tubes for you I can arrange that to see if they are good quality.

Let me know how it turns out and the offer is open if you would like them tested.

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #29,308 of 42,298
  Maybe I misunderstood. Sorry for the confusion and you should still contact that seller. Maybe he will replace them for you if he has more. If you would like us to test the tubes for you I can arrange that to see if they are good quality.

Let me know how it turns out and the offer is open if you would like them tested.

Thank you very much for the offer Frank. I'm going to contact the seller and see what he says.
Your service is 2nd to none!!!
Thank you again, Joseph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back