Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 12, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #29,266 of 42,298
oops yes!  Sensor's pictures.  i scrolled up to see who post the pictures and i didn't see that your post was a quote.  sorry.
Well thank you Sensor for the great pictures!

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #29,268 of 42,298
So about a month ago I purchased 2 NIB/NOS Sylvania 6SN7WGT driver/power tubes for my WA6, which I really, really enjoy the sound of. Last week I noticed a feedback/buzzing sound (in between songs) coming from the left driver of my RS1i's, so I pulled the tube out and re-seated it back in the socket and everything was fine for a few days, until I heard it again. So upon hearing it again I switched the tube from the left socket to the right socket, and everything was fine for a week, until tonight when I started hearing the same noise coming from my right driver. I can not hear this noise when the music is playing, and also this happens after about an hour or so after powering up, and (with no music playing) increasing/decreasing the volume has no effect on the volume of the feedback/buzzing noise, it is at a consistent low to moderate level. Being I swapped the tubes and it effected each channel tells me that the tube itself is the issue, not the amp.
Is this something that may be a little common with tubes, should I be concerned about this?
Does this feedback/buzzing sound mean that this tube is no good, or on its way out, or is there something I can do to stop this from happening? I would appreciate any comments on the issue, I'm pretty new to the tube amps, and have a long way to go as far as knowledge, thanks.

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #29,269 of 42,298
still looking at new car possibilities.... now i'm thinking of this but worried about its costs and reliability 
frown.gif

V6 of course, don't want the hemi.

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #29,270 of 42,298
^ cost would be a concern.  Reliability has improved significantly.  I have owned 2 new american cars and 3 japanese one since I got married 14 years ago.  The american cars did have more little issues here and there but no major one.  The japanese cars weren't perfect either but did have less random small problems overall.

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #29,271 of 42,298
I am also still interested in the 2014 Miata with the hard top and leather seats. but its also pretty expensive and the least practical out of all the cars i want due to its small size. i really want that car though 
frown.gif

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #29,272 of 42,298
DG, if you don't go for Hemi, don't get that car.  Go for something else.  The body is quite heavy for the V6, regardless of HP.  When I bought my Jeep Cherokee, I faced the same decision V6 4.0 vs. V8 (Hemi equivalent)  The difference was nite and day.

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #29,273 of 42,298
Gotta get the Hemi! Aren't they (MOPAR) celebrating 50 years with the 2nd Gen Hemi? Let the dealer know with a good discount, you could help
tongue_smile.gif
both the dealer and MOPAR celebrate... and bring friends too! 

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #29,274 of 42,298
I am also still interested in the 2014 Miata with the hard top and leather seats. but its also pretty expensive and the least practical out of all the cars i want due to its small size. i really want that car though :frowning2:  

If you really want it, get it while you are still young. You will not have that chance again once you married. I sold my R6 and S2000 shortly after.

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #29,275 of 42,298
  So about a month ago I purchased 2 NIB/NOS Sylvania 6SN7WGT driver/power tubes for my WA6, which I really, really enjoy the sound of. Last week I noticed a feedback/buzzing sound (in between songs) coming from the left driver of my RS1i's, so I pulled the tube out and re-seated it back in the socket and everything was fine for a few days, until I heard it again. So upon hearing it again I switched the tube from the left socket to the right socket, and everything was fine for a week, until tonight when I started hearing the same noise coming from my right driver. I can not hear this noise when the music is playing, and also this happens after about an hour or so after powering up, and (with no music playing) increasing/decreasing the volume has no effect on the volume of the feedback/buzzing noise, it is at a consistent low to moderate level. Being I swapped the tubes and it effected each channel tells me that the tube itself is the issue, not the amp.
Is this something that may be a little common with tubes, should I be concerned about this?
Does this feedback/buzzing sound mean that this tube is no good, or on its way out, or is there something I can do to stop this from happening? I would appreciate any comments on the issue, I'm pretty new to the tube amps, and have a long way to go as far as knowledge, thanks.

I would try to clean the pins to see if it still does that after a good cleaning. Use steel wool on the pins or an old trick is use a pencil eraser on the pins and see if they are clean. if that does not solve the issuethe tube could need replacing. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #29,276 of 42,298
  I would try to clean the pins to see if it still does that after a good cleaning. Use steel wool on the pins or an old trick is use a pencil eraser on the pins and see if they are clean. if that does not solve the issuethe tube could need replacing. 

Thank you Frank for the info about cleaning the pins. I will try some steel wool with electrical contact cleaner on the pins, and them the eraser, thanks again!

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #29,279 of 42,298
If you really want it, get it while you are still young. You will not have that chance again once you married. I sold my R6 and S2000 shortly after.

is the car as fun as people say it is? and ever drive in snow with it? since thats another issue living here in the midwest.

DG, if you don't go for Hemi, don't get that car.  Go for something else.  The body is quite heavy for the V6, regardless of HP.  When I bought my Jeep Cherokee, I faced the same decision V6 4.0 vs. V8 (Hemi equivalent)  The difference was nite and day.

what about the camaro? its a little lighter than the challenger right?

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #29,280 of 42,298

is the car as fun as people say it is? and ever drive in snow with it? since thats another issue living here in the midwest.

what about the camaro? its a little lighter than the challenger right?

if you ask me to choose between camaro and challenger, the answer will be camaro.  It's a very typical big block american muscle car.  Why not as refined as the German ones (much less $ too, of course), American muscle cars are built on a different mentality.  :)
I've been tempted with the new corvette very much and trying to control myself. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back