Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #26,912 of 42,298
Quote:

don't really listen to me.  if you get a chance and if not too expensive, i think still worth to get it.  i was only saying they're not the greatest of the greats. besides, i only heard the hifi guys, both the customers and the clerks.  not my own experience. 

a friend of mine has gec 5u4g.  he told me he loves it and he's using it with wa22.  gec u52, similar to gec 5u4g?

as far as i know, they are the same/similar.  

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #26,914 of 42,298
Quote:

i think we are like moth to a flame.  we just can't help what we want get, or not to get sometimes

thumbsup.gif

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #26,917 of 42,298
Quote:
DG, if you are thinking WA22 or WA5, your money probably better spend on Macroni 6F8G.

she has some nice tungsol 6f8g as well . The difference  in rectifiers is very subtle on the WA5. I just swapped the 5U4G RCA for the Phillips 5R4GYS and there are differences . The sounds stage got wider with the Phillips and the top end is more extended but I lose some bass and mid bass form the RCA 5U4G that I like so much. I also like the Phillips tube and almost bought some Brimar 5R4Gy today bit I need to stop spending money and I have more 6Fg8G tungsol round plates coming so i have driver coming out the kazoo. I am done buying tubes for a little while anyway I have not heard huge differences in rectifer being swapped always subtle and their are always plus and minus with every rectifier. The Phillips has a organic mid range good bass but short of the RCA and the top end on the Phillips is very extended and sound stage is wider and deeper. 

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #26,918 of 42,298
Quote:
she has some nice tungsol 6f8g as well . The difference  in rectifiers is very subtle on the WA5. I just swapped the 5U4G RCA for the Phillips 5R4GYS and there are differences . The sounds stage got wider with the Phillips and the top end is more extended but I lose some bass and mid bass form the RCA 5U4G that I like so much. I also like the Phillips tube and almost bought some Brimar 5R4Gy today bit I need to stop spending money and I have more 6Fg8G tungsol round plates coming so i have driver coming out the kazoo. I am done buying tubes for a little while anyway I have not heard huge differences in rectifer being swapped always subtle and their are always plus and minus with every rectifier. The Phillips has a organic mid range good bass but short of the RCA and the top end on the Phillips is very extended and sound stage is wider and deeper. 

i wouldn't say subtle.  at least not my wa5

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #26,920 of 42,298
DG, if you are thinking WA22 or WA5, your money probably better spend on Macroni 6F8G.

The bl63/6f8g on ebay? They work with wa22?

I have one pair of ts 6f8g (not round plate i cant find them), and one pair of sylvania6f8g and one pair of raytheon 6f8g for when i upgrade to wa22

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #26,923 of 42,298
Quote:
Lol no thanks wayyy too much. Though i tempted in buying a single tube, u should try those out on wa5

I am done.
buying tubes for now. I have all I need. I am not spending 400 for a rectifier. I wont pay 260.00 for the EML either.   I am pretty satisfuied with what io have now and really concentrating more on speaker projects now. I will be reviewing some nice high efficiency speaker sin the fall and looking forward to that. I have all the headphones I need also. 

One of the great things about doing reviews  is I never run out of new and interesting gear to listen to and work on. Working on getting a JVC DX2000 for a review.

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #26,924 of 42,298
Here is what Brent jesse said about the JJ tubes 300B he sell for 299.00 pair but they are sold for 219.00 at the tubestore. ns 23900 pair at tube depot

New production tubes. A rare 300B from the Slovak Republic, built like the legendary WE tubes but at a fraction of the price. Unlike the WE tubes, these feature a rugged white ceramic base. These same tubes are also made by JJ for EAT, at a much higher price! JJ tubes are probably the smoothest sounding tubes next to NOS tubes themselves. Sold by the single tube, please add $10 per tube for matching into pairs or quads.

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #26,925 of 42,298
The JJ and EAT are neither built nor sound the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back