Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #26,371 of 42,298
Quote:

Just wait til you tried out the maxxed WA22 with GEC 6AS7G, TS BGRP / NU 6F8G,  and metal based GZ34 combo...  There is something in this combo keep telling me not to sell it and get the WA5.

DG, if I were you, I will look at the PWD instead.  You will not regret it.

This is pretty much how I run my WA22 currently, very fine tube combination :) I also prefer the metal based GZ34 to my 596s. Another tube I really rate as a rectifier is the 5r4g by Brimar. Much better than the common RCAs / potato mashers etc. I definately think the 22 responds well to a low voltage drop across the rectifier. One day I will try dig out details on my 83s and see if I can make them fit / work :wink:

DG, glad you have gound the GECs and see why a few of us rave about them. They make the 5998 / 7236s look average. Once tried, there is no turning back :) I personally think there is little difference between curved and straight base variants, so buy both. I also have a 6se, 2 and 22. If I were sell one it would be the 6se but I am not going to :). It is a great amp but the 2 and 22 gain more from the proper tubes (like GECs). I don't have a T1 (on wish list as next headphone purchase) but I think this will excel on the WA2 out of these three amps.

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #26,372 of 42,298
Quote:

This is pretty much how I run my WA22 currently, very fine tube combination :) I also prefer the metal based GZ34 to my 596s. Another tube I really rate as a rectifier is the 5r4g by Brimar. Much better than the common RCAs / potato mashers etc. I definately think the 22 responds well to a low voltage drop across the rectifier. One day I will try dig out details on my 83s and see if I can make them fit / work :wink:

DG, glad you have gound the GECs and see why a few of us rave about them. They make the 5998 / 7236s look average. Once tried, there is no turning back :) I personally think there is little difference between curved and straight base variants, so buy both. I also have a 6se, 2 and 22. If I were sell one it would be the 6se but I am not going to :). It is a great amp but the 2 and 22 gain more from the proper tubes (like GECs). I don't have a T1 (on wish list as next headphone purchase) but I think this will excel on the WA2 out of these three amps.

how different do you feel WA22 is? i really want to get it, but i feel it might be too similar to WA6-SE, or not as smooth and clean sounding as WA2. especially WA2 vs WA22 with maxed tubes, do you feel the wa22 is enough of an improvement to get? if i got WA22, i'd basically have all the best tubes. i know i prefer the WA2 over the WA6-SE, i find the WA6-SE to be a little brighter and not as sweet sounding. its very good with LCD-2 but not as good with hd 800/t1. 

Hey cool did you listen to any music? If you did what was it?

Thanks.

just just went through my entire library just skipping through songs basically. everything sounded good, especially mainstream music, was very musical then tried some random jazz and audiophile recordings and they sounded better than ever. and then i just kept skipping through lots of other stuff. vocals where especially good.

Just wait til you tried out the maxxed WA22 with GEC 6AS7G, TS BGRP / NU 6F8G,  and metal based GZ34 combo...  There is something in this combo keep telling me not to sell it and get the WA5.

DG, if I were you, I will look at the PWD instead.  You will not regret it.

yeah i'm still interested in a WA22. i just worry about how it would sound with T1, i know everything else would work ok. also jack doesn't sell maxed anymore does he? i sometimes feel like just selling both my woos and just going for WA22. 

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #26,373 of 42,298
Quote:

how different do you feel WA22 is? i really want to get it, but i feel it might be too similar to WA6-SE, or not as smooth and clean sounding as WA2. especially WA2 vs WA22 with maxed tubes, do you feel the wa22 is enough of an improvement to get? if i got WA22, i'd basically have all the best tubes.

yeah i'm still interested in a WA22. i just worry about how it would sound with T1, i know everything else would work ok. 

Drew  will re-cable theT1 to balanced on the T1 for you. Problem solved. The guy to ask about that is Macedonian Hero. peter had the two amps and the T1 you are asking about.

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #26,374 of 42,298
how different do you feel WA22 is? i really want to get it, but i feel it might be too similar to WA6-SE, or not as smooth and clean sounding as WA2. especially WA2 vs WA22 with maxed tubes, do you feel the wa22 is enough of an improvement to get? if i got WA22, i'd basically have all the best tubes. i know i prefer the WA2 over the WA6-SE, i find the WA6-SE to be a little brighter and not as sweet sounding. its very good with LCD-2 but not as good with hd 800/t1. 

yeah i'm still interested in a WA22. i just worry about how it would sound with T1, i know everything else would work ok. also jack doesn't sell maxed anymore does he? i sometimes feel like just selling both my woos and just going for WA22. 

I never have the WA2 along with other Woo but the WA22 is a huge leap from WA6SE (maxxed) when I did the comparison, at that time I did not have the GEC 6AS7G and TS BGRP, with GEC 6080, Brimar CV1988, and EML 5U4G.

On T1, I did not own it long enough to get a good impression but it does sound very good out of WA22.

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #26,375 of 42,298
Quote:
Value ~

Something to keep in mind about the USAF-596 is the value it originally offered for its performance. Not so long ago before speculation and market forces kicked in, pricing for the glass could be seen for $13-$17. Then eventually headed to $30-$36. And then...
rolleyes.gif

So, in the early days of discovery, this glass offered some of the biggest bang-for-buck that could be had for a Woo.

So question at what price point do you think this tube passes been worth the money, when say looking at the cost of an EML tube.

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #26,376 of 42,298
Quote:
So question at what price point do you think this tube passes been worth the money, when say looking at the cost of an EML tube.

The EML 5U4G sounded really good inside my WA 6 Special Edition. Cost $260 USD. I enjoyed the presentation of the USAF-596 inside the Woo over the EML Glass. I could have found happiness with either - differences were not great, but noticeable. 

All things considered, and to answer your question, the '596' has not passed being worth the money at its current price to me in the setup I had. And especially in comparison to the EML 5U4G... what's the current price on this European glass again? 

At time of evaluation, an over $200 rec was taken down by an under $20 rec. 
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #26,377 of 42,298
Quote:
Someone more knowledgeable about electronics care to explain what's so special/lol about this? 
tongue.gif

Some Riken and AMRG resistors.

Signal hook-up wires and caps are Duelund's silver foil wires and Cu caps. (he is rave with Duelund's stuff)

Two Gold film caps are Odin.

Other electrolytic caps are BHC and Jensen.

DACT pot.

I didn't listened his amp, but we will have a small meeting later. :D

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #26,378 of 42,298
Quote:

Some Riken and AMRG resistors.

Signal hook-up wires and caps are Duelund's silver foil wires and Cu caps. (he is rave with Duelund's stuff)

Two Gold film caps are Odin.

Other electrolytic caps are BHC and Jensen.

DACT pot.

I didn't listened his amp, but we will have a small meeting later. :D

I've heard some great things over the years about Dueland caps... would love to hear this amp! Hope you enjoy your meeting and please report back to us. 

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #26,384 of 42,298
Quote:
Drew  will re-cable theT1 to balanced on the T1 for you. Problem solved. The guy to ask about that is Macedonian Hero. peter had the two amps and the T1 you are asking about.

i thought you just needed balance source for WA22.

Quote:
I never have the WA2 along with other Woo but the WA22 is a huge leap from WA6SE (maxxed) when I did the comparison, at that time I did not have the GEC 6AS7G and TS BGRP, with GEC 6080, Brimar CV1988, and EML 5U4G.

On T1, I did not own it long enough to get a good impression but it does sound very good out of WA22.

would u describe the WA22 as a warm amp or a dynamic and forward amp like the WA6-SE, thats like my biggest concern. jack says its less dynamic and the most euphonic amp in the series, alot of reviews though say its forward in the mids and stuff though.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #26,385 of 42,298
The '22' is more euphonic, less dynamic than the 6 Special Edition. At least that was my experience on a couple of different occasions.

Add: My recently sold D7000 were "Balanced drive" headphones (4x22awg XLR). So I was hearing them with the WA22 in its natural configuration. And with a XLR>SE adapter on my own Woo. But I bring this up to show the evaluation was made with the same cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back