Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 16, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #21,856 of 42,298
Can't wait till I get my 596 adapter from Woo 
font]

X2 - Jack said mine would ship at the end of the month!

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #21,858 of 42,298
Am I the only one that has a black WA22 where dust isn't an issue? I've barely wiped it once or twice casually for he several months I've had it.

Music man. You really have me wanting to try another pair ofor two of 6F8G. Is there an RCA equivalent to he VT231 smoke glass 6SN7?

Jun 16, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #21,859 of 42,298
Quote:

Brooklyn in the house - lived in Brownsville for a few months! Thanks for sharing that very interesting experience with us. I'd love to have been with you!
beerchug.gif

Alright... here's the deal:

First - Jack gave me all new tubes.  You know I know nothing about which tube is which but he says these are the best ones:
  All I know is they sound really good!  So far, so good.

Here is a picture of one of the pair that is obviously different from the first set:
  Again, I don't know what the significance of this one as opposed to the first set is.

Here is the amp with the new tubes installed.  Notice the biggest tube on the right side looks slightly skewed; that's not a lens error - it isn't straight.

Here is the first lighting.

First listening impressions:

Much cleaner, less veiled sound.  There is more air and space between instruments and vocalists.  Now instead of "drums," I can almost see a 17 year old Tony Williams and his drum kit stage left on the eponymous track from Seven Steps to Heaven.

On Alicia Keys' If I Ain't Got You, the male backup singer's voice is clearly heard, low in the mix as intended in the last choruses.  Alicia's emotion and tone is very apparent - it sounds like the mic is practically in her mouth.  Which, if I recall, is how she sings.

When Prince starts singing to himself from stage right on Ripopgodazippa it sounds appropriately ephemeral and layered and distinct from his workout partner who is precisely placed between him and his back up selves.  Though the layers of this carefully crafted song are clear upon analysis, they coalesce into a coherent, entirely enjoyable, whole when listening for pleasure.
On the 24/88.2 reissue of Beggars Banquet, Sympathy for the Devil sounds like an entirely new recording, and the Woo is an excellent window into the studio.  If you are a Stones fan, or just an music/audio-phile, you need to hear this.  I've been listening to this album since the late 70's - I didn't know all this music was there until I got this high-rez reissue.  Again, the Woo lets you hear all of it!  You can almost see the sliders going up and down bringing in the drums and bongos, Mick's "yow", then the shakers and the and other vocalisations.  But when Mick starts the main vocal with the piano, it fills the space and you're in the song!  Even as the mix fills, it never becomes congested.  The guitar, Mick's vocal, the bass all sound as they must have in the studio. Minus the cigarettes and whatever else, of course
L3000.gif

Of course, nothing is perfect and this is no exception.  It seems part of the price to get the dead silent background was gain. 

There isn't much. 

I don't know if this is a function of the tube combination or something else, but with both headphones and the power amp I get to twist my wrist much farther than I'm accustomed.  I actually pegged the volume knob listening to Joe Henderson's Big Band play Shade of Jade.  It sounded really good, but I couldn't get "there" because I ran out of volume!  That is a first for me.  I have run out of amplifier many times, but never pre-amp gain.

So, you might think all is good in Harlem, and you'd be almost right.  This (except the lack of gain) is what I expected the amp to sound like when I made the purchase decision.  Since then, I had a ($200) modification made.  I had a second set of pre-out jacks added when a switch to turn off the pre-outs was installed.  That part is not operational.  Apparently the noise issues and oscillations were traced to these modifications, and fixed.  Great, I thought.  Except "fixed" means the switch has been disabled and the second pre-out is still not aligned with the original.  I don't really care about the second pre-out, it is just a nice-to-have that I thought was a simple add while having the switch installed.  Oh well, we'll see what happens.  The pre-out is not what I was paying for, it's the switch that I need.

Hope I didn't bore you with this long winded report, but I felt after all my bitching, it would be nice to hear some good things.

Well, now it's off to enjoy Father's Day weekend at the beach. It's me and my SR71B for the weekend.

Enjoy the music!
(Yeah, I know that's not original, but I mean it!)

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #21,860 of 42,298
Seehear,

Congrats on getting your WA2 back, and on having it be working out so well. Glad to hear it!

One of the reasons your volume has to go so high is the power tube in your picture is 6080, which has significantly less power than 7236 tubes, although they should still sound good. I have 7236 Sylvania old stock tubes and my dial with loud volume never goes above 11 o clock on the dial, and that's on low gain setting on my WA22.

Enjoy!

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #21,861 of 42,298
I've been using a Mullard GZ32 with some 6SN7's in my WA6 for a few months now. I've always been very happy with the sound from all my headphones with this combo. Although my DT880's definitely enjoy the extra juice that the 6GL7's bring. Anyway, the GZ32 is the first rectifier that i rolled and i was considering trying a 5AR4/GZ34 for something different. Metal base is not in the price range atm. Apparently Jack has some Haltron 5AR4 tubes in stock. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #21,862 of 42,298
SeeHear > Your First Listening Impressions sounded right yummy! Makes me wanna do something special inside the room tonight. Currently, streaming the sultry and seductive Sarah Vaughn from Paris radio (M2 Radio, France) while doing house chores. Ah, but deep into the night, just past a frightened Cinderella looking at the clock, we're gonna sit in 'till sunrise playing only the best!

The hi-rez version of "Sympathy For The Devil" makes a difference over what I had thought I was enjoying years prior. 

"Minus the cigarettes and whatever else, of course 
L3000.gif
"

dt880smile.png
 I don't think I wanna know...

Sid-Fi rightfully pointed out your power tube options so, looks like good times ahead for you!
beerchug.gif

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #21,863 of 42,298
Quote:
Seehear,
Congrats on getting your WA2 back, and on having it be working out so well. Glad to hear it!
One of the reasons your volume has to go so high is the power tube in your picture is 6080, which has significantly less power than 7236 tubes, although they should still sound good. I have 7236 Sylvania old stock tubes and my dial with loud volume never goes above 11 o clock on the dial, and that's on low gain setting on my WA22.
Enjoy!

Thanks, Sid.  I was wondering what the differences are.  That may explain the decreased dynamics, too?  I have a lot to learn about tube rolling - gonna be fun.  What would (any or all) of you recommend as a power tube trying to get some of the bass extension and slam back as well as over all volume up?

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #21,864 of 42,298
Quote:
SeeHear > Your First Listening Impressions sounded right yummy! Makes me wanna do something special inside the room tonight. Currently, streaming the sultry and seductive Sarah Vaughn from Paris radio (M2 Radio, France) while doing house chores. Ah, but deep into the night, just passed a frightened Cinderella looking at the clock, we're gonna sit in 'till sunrise playing only the best!

The hi-rez version of "Sympathy For The Devil" makes a difference over what I had thought I was enjoying years prior. 

"Minus the cigarettes and whatever else, of course 
L3000.gif
"

dt880smile.png
 I don't think I wanna know...

Sid-Fi rightfully pointed out your power tube options so, looks like good times ahead for you!
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #21,865 of 42,298
I think the dynamics can definitely be affected by limited power, especially if your already high up on the volume dial. I think the Sylvania old stock 7236 are widely regarded as the best bang for the buck power tube. Many head-fi'ers have expressed this opinion to me.

Also, Woo Audio lists them on the WA2 and WA22 product pages as the recommended power tube upgrade along with a description that says "One of the best power tubes available for this amp...vastly improves dynamics and soundstage."

There are a few more expensive and exotic choices that are regarded to be better like Tung Sol 5998, but at significantly higher costs.

Thanks, Sid.  I was wondering what the differences are.  That may explain the decreased dynamics, too?  I have a lot to learn about tube rolling - gonna be fun.  What would (any or all) of you recommend as a power tube trying to get some of the bass extension and slam back as well as over all volume up?

Jun 16, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #21,866 of 42,298
 Minus the cigarettes and whatever else, of course
L3000.gif

Not all else................................................
rolleyes.gif

Jun 16, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #21,867 of 42,298
Guys,

Not to solicit but if anyone wants my WA3 I have it up for sale. Tosn of tubes included as well. All at a great price!

Jun 16, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #21,868 of 42,298
Quote:
Guys,

Not to solicit but if anyone wants my WA3 I have it up for sale. Tosn of tubes included as well. All at a great price!

I was going to sell mine too until I heard it with the HD650s.

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #21,869 of 42,298
Quote:
Am I the only one that has a black WA22 where dust isn't an issue? I've barely wiped it once or twice casually for he several months I've had it.
Music man. You really have me wanting to try another pair ofor two of 6F8G. Is there an RCA equivalent to he VT231 smoke glass 6SN7?

Yes, I have 2 pairs of RCA VT-99 Gray Glass and flat plates. They sound great too.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back