Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 15, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #21,031 of 42,298
Oooh a SL1200 Mk2, I thought they were used in the DJ scene for mixing given their pitch controls. Or do I have that mixed up with a different model? I have a Michelle Orbe in black to match my rig, WA5 is in black along with DAC and all the other components! Maybe Ill post some pics proper when I ever get around to dusting my component shelving!!!!!

My Phono stage aka TT rig is a Mapletree Ultra 4SE, stock they are great tube preamps, but the phono stage is somewhat lacking. However have had a whole bunch of tricks and mods applied to the little beast and it sounds great, very very easy to roll tubes and it takes 12V octal twin triodes too which saves big time on cost. 12SN7 TSRP cost a fraction of their 6V counterparts and sound the same!

The preamp has mundorf silver in oil interstage coupling caps and mundorf tube caps in the PSU, Audionote tantalum resistors, as well as 12ax7 compatibility refitted over the 12sc7 (which sounded very underwhelming) Ive thrown far more money at it than its really worth, but its that piece of "cherished" gear one grows fond of and attached to!

Yeah that's the one. Meh on the pitch controls for the most part, but combined with the strobe it makes for a nice way to fine-tune the speed. I picked it up for a good price, it looked and was described to be in fine shape, and it will hold its value in case I start saving for an "audiophile" TT again. And it's better than what I was using which wasn't bad and will stay in service.

May 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #21,032 of 42,298
Just stumbled upon this. What is it? A WA22 prototype? (Posted 2009)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/415713/official-march-21st-nyc-meet-thread/15#post_5541596

WA22.jpg

May 15, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #21,033 of 42,298
Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/415713/official-march-21st-nyc-meet-thread/15#post_5541596

WA22.jpg

WA4 if I'm not mistaken?

EDIT. hmmm nope. WA2/22 prototype is a sound guess.

May 15, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #21,035 of 42,298
It may be the original prototype WA22.  The amp started out with 12AU7 driver tubes before they switched to the 6SN7 close to the release date.  Some of those parts are from the WA5 which they probably used because they were available.

May 15, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #21,036 of 42,298
The glow of some freshly rolled Sophia Princess 300Bs in the WA5 and a fresh copy of the DSD Remaster of Beggars Banquet. The WA5 is *very* responsive to tube changes I can see. Wooooootastic.

Why is it so hard to get music recorded at this level any more????

May 15, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #21,038 of 42,298
Quote:

WA22.jpg

Try using the Wayback Machine (Internet Archive). I find a lot of gear no longer currently listed that way.

Edit: After reading the impressions from the NYC Meet - 2009, Jack brought the spanking brand new WA22 out to play.
Edit2:  Jack just wrote to confirm the prototype status - still sitting in the Lab @ WooAudio. 
wink.gif

May 15, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #21,039 of 42,298
Quote:
obzilla, are you taking requests? "Sympathy For The Devil." 
evil_smiley.gif
 What is your source for the Remasters, by the way?

T'was playing when I posted, that and Street Fighting Man. :)

In 2002, the studio catalogue was rereleased from the DSD remasters (presumably the ones they did for the SACD version of the catalogue).
I have no idea if it is any better or worse than other releases, (I have about 9 Stones CDs, they all come from the same release labeled "DSD Remastered"). They should be readily available.

May 15, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #21,040 of 42,298
Quote:

T'was playing when I posted, that and Street Fighting Man. :)

In 2002, the studio catalogue was rereleased from the DSD remasters (presumably the ones they did for the SACD version of the catalogue).
I have no idea if it is any better or worse than other releases, (I have about 9 Stones CDs, they all come from the same release labeled "DSD Remastered"). They should be readily available.

blink.gif
  So broke from this hobby, I might have to shout "Gimme Shelter."

May 15, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #21,041 of 42,298
Quote:

blink.gif
  So broke from this hobby, I might have to shout "Gimme Shelter."

I understand!!!

Here is an $8.50 ebay special that should cheer up your day and leave your wallet intact. Really really well produced.. "Iranian / Folk / World / Modern" (I guess) music. The strings and the girls voice are to die for.
Go on ebay, get this album, you'll thank me. Any doubts, check for the track "Ghazal" and have a listen on youtube or whatever.

May 15, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #21,042 of 42,298
Quote:

I understand!!!

Here is an $8.50 ebay special that should cheer up your day and leave your wallet intact. Really really well produced.. "Iranian / Folk / World / Modern" (I guess) music. The strings and the girls voice are to die for.
Go on ebay, get this album, you'll thank me. Any doubts, check for the track "Ghazal" and have a listen on youtube or whatever.

Have read a lot ink about them in the past few months. Will check 'em out! Also, as BIG as the Rolling Stones' catalog is, can you believe I only like 5 songs? Quantity aside, I want the best quality of those 5 songs!!!

May 15, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #21,043 of 42,298
Just logged on to Amazon and ordered with 1 click, gotta love that. Thanks for the suggestion - sounds nice. I am looking forward to checking it out without previewing at all.

We really need a WAAOU music discussion thread. It seems like I have never heard a lot of the stuff that is brought up in his thread.

I understand!!!

May 16, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #21,044 of 42,298
Quote:
Just logged on to Amazon and ordered with 1 click, gotta love that. Thanks for the suggestion - sounds nice. I am looking forward to checking it out without previewing at all.
We really need a WAAOU music discussion thread. It seems like I have never heard a lot of the stuff that is brought up in his thread.

I hope you like it! It's always refreshing to get something you haven't heard before, or that you mightn't have come across otherwise.
If you enjoy it, they have another disc, 9 Heavens, which is good but I like this one better. There is also another disc due out very soon. Cheers!

May 16, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #21,045 of 42,298
Thanks obzilla. I'll drop impressions on it after I get it and check it out. By the way, nice avatar hehe.

I hope you like it! It's always refreshing to get something you haven't heard before, or that you mightn't have come across otherwise.
If you enjoy it, they have another disc, 9 Heavens, which is good but I like this one better. There is also another disc due out very soon. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back