Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 4, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #19,486 of 42,298
Who did you get this WA6 from. I would doubt very highly that Woo audio would use "gobs of hot-glue" on a V-cap.

You may want to post some pictures of the inside of your amp.

Here is a picture of my WA5LE with V-caps, the only mod I did was change the Jacks, but I doubt you would even know that I did. .

Mar 4, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #19,487 of 42,298

Like I said, I think this amp has traveled around head-fi members a bit.  The guy I got it from didn't have it for long.  The owner before that claims the amp was sent back to Woo for the Pseudo Dual Power Supply at least.

Sorry for the terrible cell-phone pic.

Mar 4, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #19,488 of 42,298
I am the seller and I bought the amp from Claybum.  I am fairly certain the mods were done by Woo Audio as the owner claimed they added $300 to the price tag.  

If you cannot fix the wire, feel free to return the amp for a refund.  I will not have my conscience tainted by this.

Mar 4, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #19,489 of 42,298
Don't worry Saintly, I'd much rather fix it.

On a lighter note, I'm almost to page 1000 of this thread
blink.gif

Mar 4, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #19,491 of 42,298
Ladies and Gentlemen... it's in the books!

For those of you scoring at home, I opened the chapter to my WA 6 Special Edition on 9 July, 2010. Tonight, I concluded the final chapter in perhaps, what could be remembered as its finest hour! During this time, I found a couple of moments surreal... and in stereo

While I rifled through the music library with the Woo, I was warming up the 6AS7 OTL amp for the official hand-off and continued listening session. For this, I had my 48" Black Light illuminated underneath my Vintage Black Light Posters - "War Queen" (1971) & "Attilla's Mate" (1969) from the storied Houston Blacklight Poster Co. 

Let the record reflect the very first track I played on my Woo was "Holidays" - Abraham Laboriel Sr, arguably the most employed studio bassist of our time... go look it up! 
wink.gif
 And the final track played was "Ask Me No Questions" - B.B.King. But just prior to that, I was looking around the room with lights out listening to... Janos Starker?! Black light Posters and Starker, now that's surreal! 
biggrin.gif

The second surreal moment came when I realized "That's it, the amp is officially down the street!" But since I'm not boxing and shipping it 'til Monday, I'm still staring in disbelief... is it really over?!

Next, I jumped on the Silver Hawk (the Silver faced 6AS7 OTL amp custom built by 2359glenn). In what could be misconstrued as "Taunting," I proceeded to have a ball, as if the Woo never existed. With the Black light burning bright, I played tracks to compliment the Black light era: Sly & The Family Stone "Life"  "Fun"  "Plastic Jim" and from Woodstock "Hey Music Lover/Higher." Then hit it with some Stones "Gimme Shelter"  "Sympathy For The Devil." And wrapped up the morning with Sly & The Family Stone "Sex Machine" @ 13 minutes & 48 seconds. 
tongue_smile.gif
 The latter was fun and hard hitting at high volume, in need of speakers! 

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #19,492 of 42,298

Quote:

Like I said, I think this amp has traveled around head-fi members a bit.  The guy I got it from didn't have it for long.  The owner before that claims the amp was sent back to Woo for the Pseudo Dual Power Supply at least.

Sorry for the terrible cell-phone pic.

This is a easy fix just go to RadioShack and buy a small cheep soldering iron solder and a pair of wire strippers. Get a hold of the
green wire with needle nose pliers and pull it out of the hot glue. Strip the insulation off the end of the wire wrap it around the wire
from the resistor and put some solder on it. Just make sure you don't touch the soldering iron against the V-cap it will melt it and
short it out. If you want to reattach the V-caps use RTV silicone not hot glue hot glue is good for nothing.

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #19,493 of 42,298

Quote:
I am the seller and I bought the amp from Claybum.  I am fairly certain the mods were done by Woo Audio as the owner claimed they added $300 to the price tag.  

If you cannot fix the wire, feel free to return the amp for a refund.  I will not have my conscience tainted by this.

Saintly--you are correct about the mods being done by Woo Audio.

I purchased my WA6 from Woo Audio in September 2009 and its caps are also hot glued to the chassis. I noticed the glued caps when I opened the amp to admire the workmanship on the first day it arrived. It has worked perfectly for the past 2-1/2 years. Of course I've never shipped it anywhere.

On the other hand I shipped my Decware CSP2+ to 2359glenn for mods and the base was practically destroyed by USPS. Fortunately Glenn patched it up really nicely by applying some paint touched-ups to the wood base that was dinged and gouged very badly. Of course I could order another base for $50 and it would look like new again but after a few days I didn't even notice the scars. Thanks for making it all better, Glenn.

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #19,494 of 42,298

Quote:
This is a easy fix just go to RadioShack and buy a small cheep soldering iron solder and a pair of wire strippers. Get a hold of the
green wire with needle nose pliers and pull it out of the hot glue. Strip the insulation off the end of the wire wrap it around the wire
from the resistor and put some solder on it. Just make sure you don't touch the soldering iron against the V-cap it will melt it and
short it out. If you want to reattach the V-caps use RTV silicone not hot glue hot glue is good for nothing.

Thanks for the tip!

Quote:

Saintly--you are correct about the mods being done by Woo Audio.

I purchased my WA6 from Woo Audio in September 2009 and its caps are also hot glued to the chassis. I noticed the glued caps when I opened the amp to admire the workmanship on the first day it arrived. It has worked perfectly for the past 2-1/2 years. Of course I've never shipped it anywhere.

Thanks for the confirmation, Clayton.  It's good to know that I wasn't had by the seller and did not unintentionally screwed over Johmem.

Quote:
Don't worry Saintly, I'd much rather fix it.

Thanks for the patience.  Again, the refund offer is available.  Alternatively, if you cannot fix the issue yourself and would like to send it to someone to do it for you, I will pay the shipping and other expenses.

Mar 4, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #19,495 of 42,298
Well, I can hardly believe it, but I fixed it myself.  The only soldering I have done is with one of those big Weller "guns" on boat and car wiring - much larger wire.  I went to the hardware store and bought a 25 watt Weller pencil for 17 bucks and some very fine solder.  I soldered it 1/8 inch up the resistor wire from the socket rather than the original location right on the socket.  Is this OK?

I'm listening now with the Sovtek 5U4G tube and the 6DE7 tubes, assuming this is probably closest to stock.  I have a RCA 5U4G and a Sopia Pricess and a Tung Sol 5U4G on the way to try.  I also have some GE fat bottle 6FD7s  and some RCA 6EW7s on the way.

I am listening to Grado RS1i's, any suggestions?  I like strong bass and listen to Rock and Metal mainly.

Thanks for all the encouragement!
Quote:

Mar 4, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #19,496 of 42,298
Nice, glad to hear it is resolved. Nice suggestion Glenn.

Quote:
Well, I can hardly believe it, but I fixed it myself.  The only soldering I have done is with one of those big Weller "guns" on boat and car wiring - much larger wire.  I went to the hardware store and bought a 25 watt Weller pencil for 17 bucks and some very fine solder.  I soldered it 1/8 inch up the resistor wire from the socket rather than the original location right on the socket.  Is this OK?

I'm listening now with the Sovtek 5U4G tube and the 6DE7 tubes, assuming this is probably closest to stock.  I have a RCA 5U4G and a Sopia Pricess and a Tung Sol 5U4G on the way to try.  I also have some GE fat bottle 6FD7s  and some RCA 6EW7s on the way.

I am listening to Grado RS1i's, any suggestions?  I like strong bass and listen to Rock and Metal mainly.

Mar 4, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #19,497 of 42,298

Quote:

Soldering it up 1/8" up is fine the lug is only used as a tie point to solder this wire to the resistor and hold the resistor there.

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #19,498 of 42,298
Johmem, I don't know much about metal but if you like bluesy rock the Cowboy Junkies (for the most part) like to incorporate pretty deep bass in their well-mastered music. Whites of Earth Now, Lay it Down, and Trinity Revisited are good starting points.

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #19,499 of 42,298
Great fix Johmem! It was great to see you and the seller dealing so well with this instead of throwing rocks, and it all turned out well with some help from the Woo-ers.

X2 on Cowboy Junkies, there are some really deep bass tracks in their stuff, not boomy, but notes that reach way down. Great to hear that low extension. I love the sound stage of the Trinity sessions... Blows me away every time I hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back